RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Default NPC battle templates

In prepping for my next session of the "Marines by the Baltic," I started using my note cards to work out standard tactics for the enemy NPCs. I worked out for the NPC skill levels and attributes, how many shots they could fire without losing too much accuracy to Recoil, or how many bursts they could put out. Having done that, I've written down what their standard tactics could be, so I don't have to think through everything each turn when I am running.

Side note: Wow, Ak-74's are lousy! There's no point in firing more than one burst, and even 3 shots for Veteran NPCs start to lose accuracy.

Do you do this as GMs?
Old 07-19-2012, 11:43 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Do you have an example?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:42 PM

I'm using 2.2 rules; I hope you can decipher my shorthand for numbers of shots and to-hit numbers.

For the next fight, a mix of Soviet Veterans and Experienced NPCs.

AK-74s: Vet: 22, 22 or 4@3. Means they'll usually fire only 2 shots, with a 22- to hit, or a 5-shot burst, rolling 4 dice to hit on 3-.

Ak-74s: Exp: 18, 17, or 2@2.

PKM, Veteran: 5@22, or 15@3. With the bipod, a Vet can fire 3 bursts at full dice.

RPK-74, Veteran: 5@22, or 20@3.
Exp: 5@18, or 10@2.

DShK, on tripod. 2x 22, or 4@3. This is a beast to control, it seems.

This is a group from the Ninth Guards Army, who have been on internal-security for over 2 years. I figure they've had some time for training, and have figured out the most accurate rates of fire for their weapons. Thus, they'll stick to 2 shots per round for the assault rifles, short bursts for their MGs and automatic rifles.

By sticking to only a few numbers to remember or look at, it simplifies my die-rolling and memory problems.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:43 AM

Don't forget there's usually at least one SVD thrown in there somewhere. I think there's one "marksman" armed with it per platoon of infantry.
Also don't forget about the danger area of bursts, and the Soviet tactic of using suppressive fire to get in close and finish the job. Hand grenades and bayonets are great tools for that.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Don't forget there's usually at least one SVD thrown in there somewhere. I think there's one "marksman" armed with it per platoon of infantry.
Also don't forget about the danger area of bursts, and the Soviet tactic of using suppressive fire to get in close and finish the job. Hand grenades and bayonets are great tools for that.
There is indeed 1 per platoon replacing a rifleman in a squad.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Administrator

I'd mod that a bit. The AK-74 has a pretty effective muzzle brake and, although I've never fired one, it's reputed to be very controllable during automatic fire- moreso even than most 5.56mm NATO weapons.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module