RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2014, 03:17 PM

Default Dust off your books, Russia's going full-USSR rewind.

I wasn't aware until recently, but they've pretty much bullied the former USSR republics back in to line. Lithuania, Latvia, Belarus...of course Georgia and now Ukraine are about to feel the deep tissue massage of an ill-made yet entirely effective Soviet* hobnail on their necks.

*=like all things Russian it's surplus they've kept in storage for just such an occasion. Please to be ignoring hammer-and-sickle logo on sole, Tovarisch.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:35 PM

The Russians have that going for them, they have tons of equipment stocked away for a rainy day. It might be covered in packing grease or rust considering who stockpiled it away, but they got it. It just takes so much extra vodka to convince the troops to clean the rust up though.
I remember reading a report years back about a warehouse full of artillery pieces from the Second World War that had been in storage in the nowheresville of Siberia. I wonder how much there really is.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:39 PM

Now, feel the BOOT-HEEL OF MOTHER RUSSIA! MUWAHAHAHHAHA!

But in all seriousness...well, seems Russia's heading back to the old days once again. Not that this is surprising or anything.
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake
Old 03-01-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlion1 View Post
The Russians have that going for them, they have tons of equipment stocked away for a rainy day. It might be covered in packing grease or rust considering who stockpiled it away, but they got it. It just takes so much extra vodka to convince the troops to clean the rust up though.
I remember reading a report years back about a warehouse full of artillery pieces from the Second World War that had been in storage in the nowheresville of Siberia. I wonder how much there really is.
I've heard likewise about aircraft going all the way back to the MiG-15. Who knows.

Of course, one might argue that by the time they're reduced to flying MiG-15s it "won't matter" but if everything else on either side is atritted, then a MiG-15 is as good as an F22 as far as having something in the air goes.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketenjagdpanzer View Post
...Of course, one might argue that by the time they're reduced to flying MiG-15s it "won't matter" but if everything else on either side is atritted, then a MiG-15 is as good as an F22 as far as having something in the air goes.
If the MiG has vacuum-tube technology that's survived numerous EMP-blasts, it's probably better than the F-22.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:39 AM

Comes down to how there stored. Russians are good for storing some gear but I've seen pictures of an airplane storage yard and it was covered in weeds higher than the planes were and a Tank Storage Depot where the paint had come off from the weather. Maybe there salvageable? I don't know. But they still have crates full of boots, uniforms, rifles, submachine guns, landmines, and other assorted weapons and stocks that will probably last forever. The question is will they need it? The Russian Military isn't the sad excuse it was a few years back. Putin if nothing else put them back on there feet and gave them there pride again.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:16 AM
The Stat Guy

We (Meaning the US) can't intervene in Ukraine. That would put us head-to-head with the Russians, and that is fraught with danger that could conceivably lead down the path to WWIII. Real-life T2K scenario, anyone?

What we need to do is let our NATO allies deal with it. They do have the troops and firepower, as much as they would like everyone to believe they don't. It's time for the Europeans to stop being pussies.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 03-03-2014, 07:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
If the MiG has vacuum-tube technology that's survived numerous EMP-blasts, it's probably better than the F-22.
Heck, given the right circumstances, the F-22 might lose to the MiG-15 in a dogfight.

Chuck
Old 03-03-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man 1966 View Post
Heck, given the right circumstances, the F-22 might lose to the MiG-15 in a dogfight.
Given the right circumstances an F-22 could be taken down by a goose.