RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2009, 03:02 AM

Default OT: About books

Bon dia!

Searching for a little advice here:
  • My curiosity about American Civil War has grown in these past months and I'm planning to buy a book in Amazon about the matter. I'm looking for a general and neutral picture of the conflict, not a single battle. I'm sure some of you can give me a good suggestions about a good title.
  • Recently I've searched in Amazon for some of the fictional books recommended in this forum about World War III (not much publications in Spain about the matter). Sadly, some interesting titles are only available as "used". I have no problem about buying used/old books (we have a great specialized market in Barcelona every sunday). But one thing is seeing and touching the product and another very different is to buy it online. How about their Anyone has any experience about buying used books through Amazon? Are they in good conditions?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Bon dia!

Searching for a little advice here:
  • My curiosity about American Civil War has grown in these past months and I'm planning to buy a book in Amazon about the matter. I'm looking for a general and neutral picture of the conflict, not a single battle. I'm sure some of you can give me a good suggestions about a good title.
  • Recently I've searched in Amazon for some of the fictional books recommended in this forum about World War III (not much publications in Spain about the matter). Sadly, some interesting titles are only available as "used". I have no problem about buying used/old books (we have a great specialized market in Barcelona every sunday). But one thing is seeing and touching the product and another very different is to buy it online. How about their Anyone has any experience about buying used books through Amazon? Are they in good conditions?

Thanks in advance
Answering in reverse.

As long as the book seller has a good rating I would not have problem buying used. I have purchased about 15 books used and have never had an issue with quality.

Regarding the Civil War. I have to be honest and say that for an unbiased overview I feel the best source is the Ken Burns documentary "The Civil War". Rarely do I feel that video can surpass the written word, but here Mr. Burns succeeds.

Last edited by kato13; 04-12-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typo noticed 8 years later.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
Regarding the Civil War. I have to be honest and say that for an unbiased overview I feel the best source is the Ken Burns documentary "The Civil War". Rarely do I feel that video can surpass the written word, but here Mr. Burns succeeds.
I've always wanted to learn more about the 'War of Northern Aggression' too. Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try and track that doco down.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:44 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

It is 11 hours IIRC. It is one of the few things where I will drop everything to watch it.

*** removed**** here is the introduction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN2huQB-DmE found another link to the first ~4 min. This one is from Ken himself so it should stay up.

Last edited by kato13; 04-12-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: removed dead link
Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 AM

As a bit of an ACW nut I would recommend the trilogy by Shelby Foote (who charmingly featured in Ken Burns' series)

The Civil War, A Narrative: Fort Sumter to Perryville
The Civil War, A Narrative: Fredericksburg to Meridian
The Civil War, A Narrative: Red River to Appomatox

While these are three chunky books, they are beautifully written and will definately whet your interest. I can pretty much guarantee you will be asking about detailed treatments of individual campaigns in a few months after having read these and watched the TV series.

Malcolm
Old 07-06-2009, 07:31 AM

I can only answer re the buying of used books from Amazon (or rather from independant booksellers via Amazon) - I have bought a dozen or so and the quality has always been as described.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:30 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
I've always wanted to learn more about the 'War of Northern Aggression' too. Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try and track that doco down.

Sir, I think you are mistaken. You mean the war of the Rebellion.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
Sir, I think you are mistaken. You mean the war of the Rebellion.
*Chuckles* I thought my comment might fire up the Yankees a bit
Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Nope... the war of northern aggression is quite accurate. the majority of the northern citizens (and the supreme court for that matter) saw the succession of the southern states as just. since member states of a republic have the right to leave if they decide it is in their best interest to leave... Because the moment you are not able to leave peacefully through succession... You cease being a republic and become an empire.

I'm from North Carolina. The last state to join the confederate states.. succession was something us North Carolinians did NOT favor, right up until Linclon ordered the North Carolina Militia to raise three regiments and ordered them to deploy into South Carolina to 'put down the rebellion'... In fact Zebulon Vance, our US Senator at the time was travelling through the state holding rally's to support remaining in the Union, right up until he got the telegram ordering the militia to mobilize and go into SC. At the same rally, he went from saying that NC will stay in the Union no matter what... To saying, it's time to succeed and here is why.

The states had the right to succeed, and this is why NONE of the leaders of the CSA had been tried for treason. Especially when it would have gone to the Supreme Court who would have classifed the 'Civil War' as a war of aggression against a seperate sovereign state and that the Union would have had to withdraw and pay repreations to the south thanks to Sherman's March through the south....

Besides a Republic only exists when the union that creates it is voluntary, and when that union becomes something that can be enforced, it becomes an Empire. That was one of the under current stories in Star Wars if you look hard enough.