RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2009, 06:42 AM

Default Red Dawn 2010 rant!

The upcoming remake of the classic Red Dawn film of 1984 poses some reality problems for me, and an excuse to go off on a rant.

I could see a heavily armed Soviet Union pulling off an invasion of America in the 1980s with some help from Latin American commies, through launching a limited nuclear strike against America and then invading through Alaska and Mexico and the Carribean, but the Chinese doing it and ending up in Detroit?

How is a Chinese invasion of America going to work?

OK China is a nuclear power and a growing military and economic power. But China's nuclear capability is very limited compared with America's, and China would have a great deal of trouble invading Vietnam or Taiwan, yet alone projecting its military forces across the Pacific and defeating American forces which are far better equipped and trained, and then successfully invading and occuppying America.

I believe there is some Russian involvement in the Chinese invasion. Well OK the Russians are still a big nuclear power, and Russian naval and air forces could still give America some real trouble in certain locations if used and deployed intelligently. The Russians could still probably pull of a suprise but limited invasion of Alaska and the Canadian West and Arctic through airborne and marine units, before the Americans came after them with real force.

So what the premise? China with Russian help successfully defeats and invades America and is helped by a bunch of sleeper 5th Column Quislings?

So who's the 5th Column? Chinese-Americans, or maybe Russian-Americans, anarchists, white liberals with pinko-commie tendancies, ethnic gang bangers, black muslims, other muslims, Christian fundamentalists, survivalists, Mexican-American revisionists, anti-abortionists, American Indians, Mormons, seperatists, closet Nazi's?

Well there are a lot more Chinese-American around now than in 1984, but I think they would still barely make it into the top 10 ethnic groups in America today, and I dont think too many are pro-Communist or anti-American. As for the others, well if they coordinated a" revolution" against the "Man" they would probably be signing their own death warant. I mean an open revolt against heavily armed American government, military and police forces during an attack on America is only going to end one way, and it would bring all the "patriotic" Americans out of the cubbard and would probably give them the excuse than many have long wanted.

Cant wait to see the film next year all the same.

Tags
movies