RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
obviously the AMX-13 would fit in with the real life Mexican Army - i.e. the AMX-VCI that they did end up buying is the infantry carrier variant of the AMX-13 tank - so that plays right into the same general tonnage
I have little problem with Mexico using the AMX VCI in this period, but I don't think it's possible that they got them from Belgium due to the on going Cold War in Europe. France would be a much better source.

As part of the Paleme-4/6/7 deals France delivered 120 ERC-90, 48 VCR-TT, 40 VBL including 8 with Milan anti-tank missiles, 32 MO-120 RT 120mm mortars and 80 MILAN anti-tank missiles to Mexico in the 1980's. I see no reason why this arms trade would not continue into the 1990's, as we know that France delivered 4 AS-555 Fennec armed helicopters in 1993.

At this time France was in the process of upgrading its land forces with new equipment such as the LeClerc tanks, AMX-10RC, AMX-10P, VAB, GCT SF artillery and towed field artillery, anti-tank and air defence missiles etc. GDW also lists the AMX-40 tank. A whole generation of French military equipment was becoming obsolete in French usage in the later stage of the Cold War, including the AMX-30 tank, AMX-13, AMX-VCI, F3 SP artillery etc. France has a greater arms manufacturing capability than Belgium, and it could produce new vehicles far quicker than Belgium making it plausible that older vehicles could be replaced and become surplus. France and Mexico could agree to another Paleme deal in the 1990's to transfer second hand military vehicles and some new arms to Mexico.

The Mexican Army Sourcebook basically implies that this happened. I don't believe that the numbers listed in the Mexican Army Sourcebook that include hundreds of AMX-30 tanks would be possible, due mainly to the fact that Mexican forces and defence spending could not accommodate or afford these numbers. It would also lead to even bigger problems with the Americans who would not be happy with Mexico massively increasing its armed forces and capabilities south of the border, and would probably lead to major American political and trade problems with France and Mexico. However reduce those figures to dozens rather than hundreds and it would be less noticeable and more manageable. A few dozen AMX-30's, more AMX-13 and AMX-VCI and some F3 and towed artillery, along with some new French anti-tank missiles and SAM's etc and a dozen helicopters would not alarm the Americans that much as it would still be very modest in comparison to the numbers that U.S. forces have pre-war. It would also explain how Mexican forces were able to invade and hold American territory.