RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Banned

Interesting place I read about today - BAIV (British American Infantry Vehicles) BV - its a company in Maarheeze (close to Eindhoven) that supplies, restores and serves historic WW2 Armored Vehicles & Tanks. Its got a fully equipped workshop and was started in the early 90's by a bunch of old vehicle collectors as a place they could work on vehicles together before becoming a for profit business around 2002.

Could be an interesting place for players doing a campaign in the Netherlands to go to for either spare parts, tools or working vehicles - and its exactly the kind of place that would have been overlooked. Among other things they had old jeeps, trucks and even a fully restored and working Comet tank that has a live barrel - and that was in that condition in the mid-90s. Alternatively it could be a way to introduce some interesting vehicles into an encounter if you are running French characters and have them run into either marauders or Dutch resistance.

As in "what the hell is that?" as a Comet tank fires from ambush on a French and Belgian patrol near Eindhoven
Old 03-16-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Interesting place I read about today - BAIV (British American Infantry Vehicles) BV - its a company in Maarheeze (close to Eindhoven) that supplies, restores and serves historic WW2 Armored Vehicles & Tanks. Its got a fully equipped workshop and was started in the early 90's by a bunch of old vehicle collectors as a place they could work on vehicles together before becoming a for profit business around 2002.

Could be an interesting place for players doing a campaign in the Netherlands to go to for either spare parts, tools or working vehicles - and its exactly the kind of place that would have been overlooked. Among other things they had old jeeps, trucks and even a fully restored and working Comet tank that has a live barrel - and that was in that condition in the mid-90s. Alternatively it could be a way to introduce some interesting vehicles into an encounter if you are running French characters and have them run into either marauders or Dutch resistance.
Eindhoven would be under French occupation, its also the location of the DAF factory.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordroel View Post
Eindhoven would be under French occupation, its also the location of the DAF factory.
Its why I could see the restoration facility being overlooked - the DAF factory is the huge prize -this is a bunch of guys restoring old vehicles in a town several miles outside town. So while the French put a big time guard around the DAF factory (if its still standing) they wouldnt probably even care about some old rusting WWII vehicles.

Perfect way for a marauder or resistance group to get stuff to fight back with.

And if the canon is right the Netherlands lost all their tanks in the fighting- so even an old Comet is better than nothing.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Its why I could see the restoration facility being overlooked - the DAF factory is the huge prize -this is a bunch of guys restoring old vehicles in a town several miles outside town. So while the French put a big time guard around the DAF factory (if its still standing) they wouldnt probably even care about some old rusting WWII vehicles.

Perfect way for a marauder or resistance group to get stuff to fight back with.

And if the canon is right the Netherlands lost all their tanks in the fighting- so even an old Comet is better than nothing.
Wait how do you lose all of your 445 tanks.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
thats what I would like to know - Roel do you have either of the canon NATO books? if you look at them the Netherlands really took it on the chin - basically the Corps has been disbanded, so has one of their divisions and whats left has no tanks - i.e. the descriptions for the remaining formations have zero tanks

So somehow they lost all of them in the fighting per canon
Old 03-16-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
thats what I would like to know - Roel do you have either of the canon NATO books? if you look at them the Netherlands really took it on the chin - basically the Corps has been disbanded, so has one of their divisions and whats left has no tanks - i.e. the descriptions for the remaining formations have zero tanks

So somehow they lost all of them in the fighting per canon
Have the NATO book i think somewhere on my PC.

In combat in Germany, i doubt the Netherlands ore any country will send all their tanks to fight and not leave some kind of reserve for homeland defense/material replacement
Old 03-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Have the NATO book i think somewhere on my PC.

In combat in Germany, i doubt the Netherlands ore any country will send all their tanks to fight and not leave some kind of reserve for homeland defense/material replacement
Thats where the French invasion may have done them in - either by having tank storage or repair areas overrun during the invasion or by the fact that they would have already been weakened by the fighting in Germany and then basically faced fully equipped and unbloodied and fresh Belgian and French forces

If you look they really fought hard - some of the French and Belgian formations in the NATO books are missing a LOT of tanks - meaning that the Netherlands may have lost all the ones they had but the French and Belgians didnt get away scot free doing it
Old 03-16-2018, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Such losses are not unprecedented in history. Several German tank and Panzergrenadier divisions lost all of their tanks during WW2, sometimes on more than one occasion. They could replace at least some of those tanks with new builds until very late in the war. AFAIK, the Netherlands didn't manufacture their own tanks during the Cold War. If Holland's capacity to repair/rebuild damaged tanks was also severely degraded (say, by nuclear attack), it is reasonable to envision the loss of all of their operational armor during the course of WWIII.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module

Last edited by Raellus; 03-16-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Such losses are not unprecedented in history. Several German tank and Panzergrenadier divisions lost all of their tanks during WW2. They could replace at least some of those tanks until very late in the war. AFAIK, the Netherlands didn't manufacture their own tanks during the Cold War. If Holland's capacity to repair/rebuild damaged tanks was also severely degraded (say, by nuclear attack), it is reasonable to envision the loss of all of their operational armor during the course of WWIII.
that would make for a good adventure in a Netherlands campaign - i.e. having to sneak into the area that the French control to get parts you need (or possibly mechanics who got captured or otherwise lost behind enemy lines) so that they can get a few tanks back in operation - after all they didnt stop fighting the French -