RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2020, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nduffy View Post
I know this is all speculative but I have wondered about this.
Also WHAT if the MP bought a few old missile bunkers and refurbished them as launch systems for a few satellites. It could feasibly work on an updated timeline. Under the guise of a private launch company, you could build a rocket with a small payload similar to the Starlink. Even a a few dozen of these is a game changer and shouldn't require a large rocket to boost them into orbit if they survive the trash fields and if the rocket was serviceable/ launch-able after 150 years. They could be set in a geostationary orbit and also service and a GPS tool as well as weather and communications.... any thoughts?
A "Crazy" Idea I had was the project arranging for the defection of the "Red October" and keeping it in a concealed dry dock on a private island (Isla Nublar) of the coast of Costa Rica. With the plan being to reconfigure the SS-N-20s to launch a cluster of small communication, recon and weather sattelites when the project started.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
A "Crazy" Idea I had was the project arranging for the defection of the "Red October" and keeping it in a concealed dry dock on a private island (Isla Nublar) of the coast of Costa Rica. With the plan being to reconfigure the SS-N-20s to launch a cluster of small communication, recon and weather sattelites when the project started.

Dammit, you just sent me down another rabbit hole..... I kinda like that...
Old 11-25-2020, 03:50 PM

Hide them under the guise of a failed launch into it's assigned orbit. The "company" does this a few times and goes bankrupt from the failures, who wants to do business with a firm that can't launch a satellite into orbit?

The satellites sit out in higher orbits as "space junk" waiting for the signal to activate.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:43 PM

I can just see the press release now:

OrionTech announced bankruptcy today after a series of failed launches. Six years ago, OrionTech made a splash with their eMPyre launch vehicle. It promised cheaper delivery of satellites into MEO. After a successful testing period and launching one communications satellite into orbit, the shine started to come off. The next launch exploded during ascent. The next two private satellites were released with a bad spin from the releasing clamp, making both inoperable. The next launch exploded just before the end of the count down. The final thing that sealed OrionTech's fate was a third satellite that did not release correctly from a re-engineered clamp. OrionTech went from a start-up that raised $2.6 billion in venture capital to receivership, locking up their IP for who knows how long as the lawyers figure out where it all goes in just really the blink of an eye.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:07 PM

You know can I can actually see that happening it some sort or another..