Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Unlicensed Derivatives
PA md. 86 (Romania)
wz88 Tantal (Poland)

I have little doubt that other Warsaw Pact nations would have compelled to acquire Soviet-made AK-74s or buy the license to produce their own version, had the Cold War continued.

I used to follow the rule of thumb that Soviet Category A & B formations would be equipped with AK-74s and Category C formations would be equipped with AKMs. Similarly, Polish regular army units carry the 5.45x39mm Tantal, while ORMO and ZOMO field the 7.62x39mm PMK. I'm starting to second-guess this system. It might be too simplistic, and I may be underestimating just how many 5.45x39mm rifles the USSR and WTO would have produced/issued by 1996 or so. Production wouldn't have necessarily ended with the TDM- rifles and ammo are both items that could be produced post-TDM, albeit in reduced quantities.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and reasoning on the ratio.

-
The Soviets certainly had their Category C division equipped with AK-74s by the end of the Cold War. We don't really see footage suggesting otherwise and even during the low-budget phase of the 90s, there are hardly photos or videos depicting Russians in e. g. Chechnya using the older AKM. Remember, Category C or - using the newer and more adequate nomenclature - _ divisions were still "active" units, just cadered to a large degree.

Only mobilization-only divisions would not have received the Ak-74 by the late 80s.*

It's more difficult with the Polish Tantal. Thought it's named "wz. 88" ("model 1988"), production only started in 1990 and troops received their first issues in 1991. From there, disarmament and peace dividend hit the Polish army fully, resulting in reduced production and a longer time for the weapon to permeate into all branches and units.

The second factor to keep in mind is that the Tantal is NOT an unlicensed copy of the AK-74. It is in fact built for the smaller caliber and cartridge of the AK-74 but technically based upon the AKM. I presume that was meant to circumvent licensing fees as well as giving greater autonomy to the Polish arms industry, something the Polish were keen on doing and pursued since the late 1950s.

---
*For more details of the Soviet Army readiness system see "CIA_The Readiness of Soviet Ground Forces - Interagency Intelligence Memorandum (1982)", link here: https://www.cia.gov/readingroom/docs...00060007-7.pdf and an abridged version here: http://www.ww2.dk/new/army/readiness.htm