RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2009, 07:54 PM

When I was acting as enemy, one of our favourite "tactics" was to sneak up in the middle of the night with a camera and take a picture from just a few metres away. The flash would blind anyone with their eyes open, and I don't recall a single photo (once developed - this was pre digital cameras) showing the sentries to be awake.

Amazing what the various plattoon sergeants responses were after the photos were posted on the notice boards.

On another "enemy" exercise we had to walk through an ambush site three times before it was initiated. Each time making more and more noise to the point where we were actually banging on anything we could just to wake them up!
Poor trainees not getting enough sleep....

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 11-22-2009, 07:55 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonpoi View Post
are there really bayonets in a MILES training?
I wish, but unless the cadets were specifically training in Combatives, things like that were forbidden. But imagine the look on the faces of a college kid when someone charges at them, with a camouflage-painted face, a wild look on his face, and wielding a big axe.

The cadets had an exercise where they had to negotiate with a local. I decided to speak in German (I was pretty good at it at the time), while throwing in a little Korean and Spanish, and a few phrases I learned in Turkey and some words I learned during a training exercise in southern Israel. I loved it when ROTC had Advanced Camp at Bragg!

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 11-22-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Unclear wording
Old 11-22-2009, 07:56 PM

Ah, there's nothing like screwing with the minds of recruits/cadets/trainees.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 11-22-2009, 08:01 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
LTC Shimmick didn't let us throw CS grenades at them either, but that would have been REALLY fun!
Things he did let us use were artillery and grenade simulators, smoke grenades, and hand-launched flares at night.

I remember soon after I went on active duty and we had an overhead flare pop at night without warning. The SOP is to hug the ground fast and don't move. My cheek got impaled on rusty barbed wire, and it was a few days before I even had a medic look at it, though I cleaned it out as best as possible. By the time we got back to garrison, the cut was huge, warm, and festering. A doctor at the hospital had to clean it out. And that's why I have a scar on my cheek to this day. Adds character.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
When I was acting as enemy, one of our favourite "tactics" was to sneak up in the middle of the night with a camera and take a picture from just a few metres away. The flash would blind anyone with their eyes open, and I don't recall a single photo (once developed - this was pre digital cameras) showing the sentries to be awake.
Sad, pathetic losers. While I was an infantryman I NEVER, not once, fell asleep while on sentry duty. I accept however that on a couple of occassions, after a week or more in the bush and only a few hours of sleep per night, I was pitifully un-alert
Old 11-22-2009, 08:09 PM

All I'll say on that note is that the feed cover of the M60 makes a relatively comfortable pillow on those long, cold night ambushes.

I will add though that I have been so utterly exhausted while on sentry that I was halucinating. Saw vehicles, houses, trees, elephants and more moving about in front of me, but not one single enemy infantryman...
Good thing the expected attack didn't come until about an hour after I was relieved.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 11-22-2009, 11:25 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

The SAW makes a good backrest too, and its feedtray also is a decent pillow I must say.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
I will add though that I have been so utterly exhausted while on sentry that I was halucinating. Saw vehicles, houses, trees, elephants and more moving about in front of me, but not one single enemy infantryman...
Good thing the expected attack didn't come until about an hour after I was relieved.
When I was a sprog cadet we were carrying out an ambush towards the end of a week of field excercises. We were positioned in deep ditch beside a road waiting for the enemy (The Fantasian Freedom Fighters that some other Brits on here may recall from excercise?) to bimble along the road. I was part of the cutoff group at one end of the ambush and was so completely exhausted that a leprechaun appearing floating in front of the bush I was hiding in didn't seem at all wierd On a similar excercise in Otterburn training area we had to stop another cadet from blowing the ambush by wandering over to a coke machine that he could see on the far side of the track we were positioned along
Old 11-23-2009, 06:16 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
All I'll say on that note is that the feed cover of the M60 makes a relatively comfortable pillow on those long, cold night ambushes.
My LT caught me doing that on one drill when I was humping both an M-60 and a Dragon, and when we got to the objective, we were ordered into MOPP IV. I flat fell asleep, which was uncharacteristic of me. The LT showed a flash of intelligence and sent me to the medics, where I was diagnosed with the flu and had a fever of 104 degrees F. I think I would have been comfortable on a bed of nails, I was so out of it.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:56 PM

Worst load I had was carrying the M60, spare barrel (and cleaning kit), plus 77 set (radio) and spare battery. We were lacking a No2 gunner (as usual!) and properly trained signaller that week. Fortunately the 600 rounds of link I was also carrying were only blanks and about a 1/3 of the weight of real rounds.
Wouldn't have been too bad since the gun on the front and radio on the back basically cancelled each other out (could actually stand perfectly upright) but the terrain was mountainous to say the least. The slopes we were climbing were so steep you could touch the ground with hand outstretch while standing straight up.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 03-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Registered Kraut

Default Some thread necromancy

How to deal with Machine guns and fire modes?
Here is a list for the MGs mentioned in the "Infantry Weapons of the World" of Ver.2. I've tried to figure out, what the weapons abilities are IRL:

BAR: special
The BAR has been produced in several countries and in several versions. Some of them were "full auto only", others had been made "selective".

AAT-52: ?
Bren L2A4: selective
RPK: selective

M249 SAW: full auto only
Colt M1895/1914: ?
DP: ?

DShK: full auto only
FMM 24/29: selective
HK-21: selective

KPV: ?
L86A1 LSW: selective
Lewis Mk I: full auto only

M214 6-Pac: full auto only
M2HB: selective
M60: full auto only

M134 Minigun: full auto only
Browning M1919A4: full auto only
MAG-58/GPMG: full auto only

MG-3: full auto only
MG-08: full auto only
MG-34: selective

MG-42: full auto only
PK(M) : full auto only
RPD: full auto only

Bren Mk II: selective
Browning M1917A1: full auto only
SG-43: ?

Stoner LMG: ?
Stoner M207: ?
Steyr AUG LMG: selective
From all that I've read, there is no selector, to switch from "single shot" to "full auto". You just pull the trigger. If you pull it slightly, you've got a single shot, if you pull it harder, you automatically get "full auto".

Vickers Mk I: ?
Vz-59 : full auto only

The "?" in the listing means: I don't know and had no info on the subject.

House rules (For Ver 2.2):
I let the players decide, if they want to use "Small Arms: Rifle" or "Autogun", when firing a light or medium MG.
Heavy MGs have to be fired using "Autogun".
If someone uses "Autogun" with a MG, whose RoF is "5", the character may fire single shots.
I don't allow to switch from "Single Shot" to "Burst" during an action.
Two exceptions: If a machine gunner with a MG (RoF: 5) uses "Autogun", he may fire his shots as he likes, combining "Single Shot" and "Burst" freely.
The Steyr AUG LMG may combine "Single Shot" and "Burst" as the shooter likes, because of the unique action of the weapon.

I hope, this listing will be useful for some of you. If someone has info on the weapons with uncertain info, please let me know. I'd like to complete this listing!

"IT'S A FREAKIN GAME, PEOPLE!"; Weswood, 5-12-2012

Last edited by B.T.; 03-11-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:11 AM

www.ludd.ltu.se/~antenna/

"Miscelleneous"
"Gamerelated" to left menu
"IFR for AAA" under gamerelated

Antenna
Old 03-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Resident Medic, Crazy Finn

Quote:
Ah, there's nothing like screwing with the minds of recruits/cadets/trainees.

One of the classics, I've used against fellow reservists who have NVG (not very common in the reserve units), is to light up a IR chemlight in some bush a bit further away and then disappear from that location. Shows up pretty well through the NVG, but when you look with the naked eye, nothing. A rather useful distraction...
"Listen to me, nugget, and listen good. Don't go poppin' your head out like that, unless you want it shot off. And if you do get it shot off, make sure you're dead, because if you ain't, guess who's gotta drag your sorry ass off the field? Were short on everything, so the only painkiller I have comes in 9mm doses. Now get the hell out of my foxhole!" - an unknown medic somewhere, 2013.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
The Bren gun was a little different. Although classified as a machinegun despite it's rather inadequate ammunition supply (magazines on a fully automatic weapon?), one of the greatest complaints I've heard about it was not the mags, nor the weight (it's a bit of a beast for an LMG) but the accuracy - it tends to actually put rounds from a burst in the same place!
According to my father (who I must stress is not a military expert of any kind) to make the Bren gun spray the rounds in a burst and not just put them all through the same hole the designers had to loosen the fixing where the bipod attaches to the gun to make it move around a little, essentially making the Bren gun rock slightly on its bipod.

I have no idea whether this story is true or not however.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatatain View Post
According to my father (who I must stress is not a military expert of any kind) to make the Bren gun spray the rounds in a burst and not just put them all through the same hole the designers had to loosen the fixing where the bipod attaches to the gun to make it move around a little, essentially making the Bren gun rock slightly on its bipod.
I've heard a similar anecdote. I think your dad might've been on the money, or close to it.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
I've heard a similar anecdote. I think your dad might've been on the money, or close to it.
I've heard the same from British family members with time in service.

PS: Ohio Ordanace Works has created a select fire triger group for the FN MAG M-240.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Registered Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Ohio Ordanace Works has created a select fire triger group for the FN MAG M-240.
Is this device in service with US forces? And do you know, since when it was produced? Could it be encountered in 2000 (I use the ver2.2 timeline)?

"IT'S A FREAKIN GAME, PEOPLE!"; Weswood, 5-12-2012
Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 PM

I don't think it's in use by the US military.

I've seen them for the past year or so among magazines directed at the Civilian NFA community. This leads me to speculate that they are ment for either Per '86 registered FN MAGs or Post '86 LEO M240 machineguns.

I'm guessing LEO as they would be in the market for such a modification.

I used to question why LEO would need a machinegun( case in Point the El Paso TX PD owns at least 1 M249). Then I looked in on what they are faceing in some parts of the country.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatatain View Post

I have no idea whether this story is true or not however.
While the story may be apocryphal, the Bren Gun was exceedingly accurate. The Stoner 63 LMG was also very accurate and needed to have this 'loosened up a little'.
My father was the gunner in an Infantry Section at the start of his Australian Army career and he carried the Bren Gun until it was replaced by the M60. He was quite proud of the fact that he could put all rounds through a door or window with the Bren.

He stated that he and some of the other gunners disliked the M60 because it sprayed the rounds "all over the place". They latter came to accept that the idea of the machinegun was to but as many rounds into an area as possible rather than put them all through the same hole.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:52 AM
In your own time, go on...

The L7A2 GPMG (FN MAG/M240 to heathens from other nations) has sort of a selective rate of fire, in that unless you adjust the gas regulator to the correct position for that particular barrel on that particular gun (known as balancing), your rate of fire will be either too high or too low.

This is quite a good description of how and why we do this: http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Balancing_the_GPMG

Also, the .50 cal HMGs we use (which have a quick change barrel) can still be set to semi-automatic. It has been suggested that this is to be used for ranging shots, but a burst does the job just as well.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Resident Medic, Crazy Finn

Both the Finnish 7.62 KvKK 62 (the now mostly retired light machinegun in 7.62x39) and PKM are, in skilled hands, capable of squeezing off single rounds. The KvKK is the easier one, though it has a very high rate of fire on cyclic. The PKM requires even lighter squeeze for single shots, but it's still feasible.
"Listen to me, nugget, and listen good. Don't go poppin' your head out like that, unless you want it shot off. And if you do get it shot off, make sure you're dead, because if you ain't, guess who's gotta drag your sorry ass off the field? Were short on everything, so the only painkiller I have comes in 9mm doses. Now get the hell out of my foxhole!" - an unknown medic somewhere, 2013.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:50 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
He stated that he and some of the other gunners disliked the M60 because it sprayed the rounds "all over the place". They latter came to accept that the idea of the machinegun was to but as many rounds into an area as possible rather than put them all through the same hole.
I never used the 60 in combat, but used correctly, it makes a decent ad hoc sniper rifle, when used with MILES. It's a good way to wake up sleepy or less-then-alert National Guardsmen and ROTC Cadets, since a MILES laser beam doesn't have a drop in it like bullets, you can tap someone at 700 meters with the right optics.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I never used the 60 in combat, but used correctly, it makes a decent ad hoc sniper rifle, when used with MILES. It's a good way to wake up sleepy or less-then-alert National Guardsmen and ROTC Cadets, since a MILES laser beam doesn't have a drop in it like bullets, you can tap someone at 700 meters with the right optics.
Can just about do that with iron sights and a steady hand.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 03-19-2012, 11:35 PM

It's rather easy to tell when I'm on a M60 as I fire in strings of double taps. I'm so used to fireing in short bursts with a faster fireing weapon that I end up double tapping my target repeatedly. I have to acctually think about holding down the trigger.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
It's beyond infuriating how unwilling to govern themselves so many soldiers are. It's not just the enlisted men, either. At the MI school, I'd go out as OPFOR when one of the classes of new MI lieutenants was in the field. The only time I failed to walk into the perimeter unchallenged was December '95 when the West Point graduates stayed up all night singing Christmas carols. In the field.

Can't say how many times during training I woke up for my shift more-or-less after it was supposed to start. No one had awakened me. No one was awake. It's a bad feeling when you know the unit has its pants down in the field.

The most serious incident of this sort happened in Iraq. One of our guys, whom we nicknamed the Narcoleptic Ranger, fell asleep behind the machine gun in a watch tower overlooking Checkpoint 12 in the Green Zone. How often this had happened in the past, I can't say. However, a staff sergeant working for the battalion staff sergeant major had been making the rounds to check on the sentries and discovered the Narcoleptic Ranger and his supervisor asleep. The Narcoleptic Ranger was asleep on his feet. He had the gall to express dissatisfaction with receiving an Article 15. I'd have put him in jail, and I actually liked the guy (he had been in my fire team when we started training). I also never would have gone down with him on the gun.

My first line duty NCO said to me that the Rangers were nothing more than what the infantry ought to be. I asked why every unit wasn't more like the Rangers, then. He told me that getting grown men to live up to their commitments and responsibilities is very, very difficult--even in an all-volunteer Army. The years since then have only served to prove him right.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
It's rather easy to tell when I'm on a M60 as I fire in strings of double taps. I'm so used to fireing in short bursts with a faster fireing weapon that I end up double tapping my target repeatedly. I have to acctually think about holding down the trigger.
An M2HB range is huge fun, if one doesn't take the poor trigger control of so many of the gunners seriously. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, the cyclic rate of the Ma Deuce is pretty low. You have to concentrate on what you're doing to keep the butterfly down for 6-9 rounds. As many as half of the guys are out there firing 1-round bursts. Try hitting man-sized targets at 800 meters with a 1-round burst from an M2HB. On the other hand, it's surprisingly easy to knock down a man-sized target at the same range or closer with a 6-9 round burst from a tripod-mounted gun. The burst lasts a ridiculously long time if you've recently fired the M249, but things do happen downrange. I'm sad to say that I have a special talent for machine gunning. When I was a junior enlisted man, a couple of battalion commanders wanted me to gun on their tracks. (I'd gladly trade that now-useless native talent for better child care instincts.)
Old 03-20-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post
An M2HB range is huge fun, if one doesn't take the poor trigger control of so many of the gunners seriously. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, the cyclic rate of the Ma Deuce is pretty low. You have to concentrate on what you're doing to keep the butterfly down for 6-9 rounds. As many as half of the guys are out there firing 1-round bursts. Try hitting man-sized targets at 800 meters with a 1-round burst from an M2HB. On the other hand, it's surprisingly easy to knock down a man-sized target at the same range or closer with a 6-9 round burst from a tripod-mounted gun. The burst lasts a ridiculously long time if you've recently fired the M249, but things do happen downrange. I'm sad to say that I have a special talent for machine gunning. When I was a junior enlisted man, a couple of battalion commanders wanted me to gun on their tracks. (I'd gladly trade that now-useless native talent for better child care instincts.)
Alas,I can't afford the $500 for a belt of ammo for a MaDuce. For that much money I would much rather Burn out the barrel on Buzzgunner's HK21E. Of course now that I've said that he probably won't let me shoot it unless I bring my own barrel.