RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM
The Stat Guy

I seem to have done a lot of details in the Army that I'm sure were cooked up in Absurdistan.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Registered Kraut

No ideas about the Spz Marder. I know that in the early models there have been 7 dismounts on board. Since the first upgrade (which made it the Marder A1) in 1975 the dismounts were reduced to 6, because the interior space was used for stowing 4 rockets for the MILAN.

When I was in, the Marder guys told us, that they had even less space for their personal belongings than we had. But that's just tell tale. I never had the chance to ride in a Marder.

The most modern version, the Marder A3, has an updated armour. The layout of the roof-hatches has been altered (They now have three hatches for the dismounts, the older versions had four.). I don't know anything about internal alterations.

By the way - it's been a widespread rumour, that the rear remote MG-turret had been omitted, because of - puking incidents (The poor gunner had a remote control with a screen. The screen showed the view from the backwards-facing MG-turret, but the operator rode forward. While he had the feeling to drive forward, he saw the objects in his view seemingly disapear into the distance. There are not to many people, that got used to this.).

"IT'S A FREAKIN GAME, PEOPLE!"; Weswood, 5-12-2012

Last edited by B.T.; 08-29-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Sabre Ready!

Send a message via AIM to Panther Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.T. View Post
No ideas about the Spz Marder. I know that in the early models there have been 7 dismounts on board. Since the first upgrade (which made it the Marder A1) in 1975 the dismounts were reduced to 6, because the interior space was used for stowing 4 rockets for the MILAN.

When I was in, the Marder guys told us, that they had even less space for their personal belongings than we had. But that's just tell tale. I never had the chance to ride in a Marder.

The most modern version, the Marder A3, has an updated armour. The layout of the roof-hatches has been altered (They now have three hatches for the dismounts, the older versions had four.). I don't know anything about internal alterations.

By the way - it's been a widespread rumour, that the rear remote MG-turret had been omitted, because of - puking incidents (The poor gunner had a remote control with a screen. The screen showed the view from the backwards-facing MG-turret, but the operator rode forward. While he had the feeling to drive forward, he saw the objects in his view seemingly disapear into the distance. There are not to many people, that got used to this.).
*laughs* Heh... I wouldn't be surprised if that was the real reason for removing the remote MG. Thanks for you help!

Proud fan(atic) of the CV90 Series.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:35 PM
The Stat Guy

I threw up once in the back of an M577, at NTC during a routine move. I threw up in the trash bag, I never had the urge to to it at any time before then on any military vehicle, and never did after that. I have no explanation for that incident.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Sabre Ready!

*hehs* You know, always wanted to get an old 557: always figured that it would make an awesome hunting cabin/vehicle for when you are out deep in the sticks.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post
*hehs* You know, always wanted to get an old 557: always figured that it would make an awesome hunting cabin/vehicle for when you are out deep in the sticks.
Wasn't it a "Dukes of Hazzard" episode where they hillbillies were using an M577 as a mobile still. Medicinal shine of course.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:20 PM

In all my years I can't recall anyone throwing up in the back of a '13. A few green faces, but that was usually due to standing in the hatch directly behind the exhaust, and plenty of bruises from rough turns by the driver, but never any throwing up...

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
In all my years I can't recall anyone throwing up in the back of a '13. A few green faces, but that was usually due to standing in the hatch directly behind the exhaust, and plenty of bruises from rough turns by the driver, but never any throwing up...
As I said, I have no explanation...except, that 577 was inhabited by a sister of Christine! That's it! That's why, less than a week later, I dislocated my shoulder and cracked three ribs falling off the top of the damn thing...I tell you, that 577 had a demon in it!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I tell you, that 577 had a demon in it!
I'll buy that as a plausible explaination. I had an M60 once that had it in for me, parts falling off it, belts grabbing my shirt sleeve and pulling it into the working parts, barrel trying to burn me. I swear that inanimate (or in the case of the M577, animate) objects can, and do sometimes have evil spirits take them over!

Bring out the holy water! Call the priest!

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Sabre Ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Wasn't it a "Dukes of Hazzard" episode where they hillbillies were using an M577 as a mobile still. Medicinal shine of course.
You know thats not that bad an idea....

And on the subjects of haunted tracks the one I dealt with was when I was pumped out the the he platoon and was given our 77 M113. When it worked, it could outrun everything, even an M1 on pavement. When it didn't... I still shudder over the long weekend I spent on a hilltop on ft. Carson when the damn thing died and the rest of the troop forgot all about me and the brand new minty fresh prive being stuck in a dead box in fricken feburary.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 AM

There was an M-60A1 with 1st Armored that had it in for me. Without fail, every field ex, the damn thing would blow its oil lines. We replaced packs, and next field ex, it would blow its lines again.

The battalion maintenance warrant officer even went so far as to replace the pack prior to a REFORGER, just to see "ole smoky" blow its lines again.

There was a push to have it consigned to Graf as a hard target, but it was sent to Anniston for the full rebuild and was later one of the tanks dumped off Florida as fishing reefs.

At the last reunion, there was a serious rumor that ole smoky was the actual cause of the Gulf oil spill and going by the amount of 30 weight that it spilled over the years.....I ain't betting money against it!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
The back of the A-Zero Bradleys were poorly thought out with the blower fan to pull air into the troop compartment a meter or so behind the exhaust. You'd climb in the thing when it was hot and have the option of it just getting hotter with nasty stale air that highlighted how well field hygiene was going for you and the other guy or guys in back *or* sucking down slightly cooler air that was half diesel fumes. That was usually preferable except for the whole issue of being hypoxic and half-stoned on carbon monoxide when the ramp went down.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:03 AM

Exclamation Dimensions of the Human Figure

I stumbled across this while looking for how many people you can practically fit in the back of a truck. Doesn't exactly show comfort levels and the like, but with a little imagination should be very useful. http://www.jneuhaus.com/human.html

Mors ante pudorem
Old 09-10-2011, 09:31 AM

Default NM 135 ( M113 based) and Sisu XA 180/ 185

Done a little ratteling around in these.

The Nm135 / M113 we had a standard of 8 dismounts.

All weapons gear was kept inside - but alot was strapped on the outside.

For continous travel with a squads worth of combat kit I think 8 dismounts is the max. But I guess more can be squeezed in for shorter hauls.

The Sisu xa 180 and the 185 are cool wagons. Optimally for 10 dismouts max - we once had an evac ex were we crammed around 35 pax into it.

Not operatively effective - fish in a barrel - but still says something about its capacity.

all imhumbleo
Old 09-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Default NM 135 ( M113 based) and Sisu XA 180/ 185

Done a little ratteling around in these.

The Nm135 / M113 we had a standard of 8 dismounts.

All weapons gear was kept inside - but alot was strapped on the outside.

For continous travel with a squads worth of combat kit I think 8 dismounts is the max. But I guess more can be squeezed in for shorter hauls.

The Sisu xa 180 and the 185 are cool wagons. Optimally for 10 dismouts max - we once had an evac ex were we crammed around 35 pax into it.

Not operatively effective - fish in a barrel - but still says something about its capacity.

all imhumbleo