RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

View Poll Results: What's your favorite light utility vehicle (i.e. truck)
HMMWV ("Humvee") 10 40.00%
Land Rover 6 24.00%
Perentie 0 0%
G-Wagon 0 0%
UAZ 469 0 0%
Tarpan Honker 1 4.00%
M151 Jeep 2 8.00%
Pinzgauer 4x4 0 0%
Unimog 4x4 3 12.00%
Other (please specify in post) 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-13-2020, 10:56 AM
Raellus's Avatar
Raellus Raellus is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Marana, AZ
Posts: 2,792
Default Favorite Light Utility Vehicle

I deliberately didn't get super specific with model numbers since so many variations of each of these vehicles exist, but the focus is on Cold War-era vehicles, pre-1997. You can specify specific models in a follow-up post, if you'd like to be more specific than the options allow. Cheers!
__________________
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure module, Rook's Gambit, and campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, available-

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-14-2020, 08:23 AM
Benjamin Benjamin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Burgh, PA
Posts: 96
Default

XR311 is my favorite. The G.I. Joe V.A.M.P. is just the thing for every discerning Twilight PC group.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-14-2020, 11:53 AM
Raellus's Avatar
Raellus Raellus is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Marana, AZ
Posts: 2,792
Default V.A.M.P. it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
XR311 is my favorite. The G.I. Joe V.A.M.P. is just the thing for every discerning Twilight PC group.
Great pick! Don't forget to vote "Other".

I wonder if/how the XR311 could have made its way into the U.S. military (or allied militaries) in the T2k timeline.

Perhaps China ordered it (AT versions especially, like the one mountin a six recoilless rifle cluster) as a stopgap measure after the Soviet invasion?

-
__________________
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure module, Rook's Gambit, and campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, available-

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-14-2020, 09:36 PM
StainlessSteelCynic's Avatar
StainlessSteelCynic StainlessSteelCynic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,012
Default

I'd pick a Unimog, probably the S404 model as there were plenty of them in the West German military at the time but I'd just as happily take the S427 model. Even though that model had only just started production in 1985, there should still be lots of them around to pillage for spares.
The other reason for taking the S427 was that it had an enclosed cab and not the canvas roof open cab of the S404.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-14-2020, 10:46 PM
Legbreaker's Avatar
Legbreaker Legbreaker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 4,799
Default

I honestly can't pick anything. For me, the best light vehicle would be the one you have until you can get your hands on something a little more suitable.
__________________
If it moves, shoot it, if not push it, if it still doesn't move, use explosives.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-15-2020, 09:05 AM
cawest cawest is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 137
Default

just a van. it can carry cargo or you can sleep in it when bad weather rolls in.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-15-2020, 09:44 AM
Raellus's Avatar
Raellus Raellus is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Marana, AZ
Posts: 2,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest View Post
just a van. it can carry cargo or you can sleep in it when bad weather rolls in.
Fair enough, but vans aren't really known for their off-road capability. You'd pretty much be road-bound in a van. The options on the board all give a party at least a modicum of off-road mobility, some considerably more.
__________________
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure module, Rook's Gambit, and campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, available-

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-15-2020, 01:08 PM
cawest cawest is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Fair enough, but vans aren't really known for their off-road capability. You'd pretty much be road-bound in a van. The options on the board all give a party at least a modicum of off-road mobility, some considerably more.

Fare enough... how about a M109 Van
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-15-2020, 07:27 PM
StainlessSteelCynic's Avatar
StainlessSteelCynic StainlessSteelCynic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest View Post
Fare enough... how about a M109 Van
Well if it's tracked vehicles you want, just park your VW Combi in the back of the M548. Done!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-16-2020, 09:50 AM
Olefin Olefin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Greencastle, PA
Posts: 2,520
Default

FYI if we are talking about the US there would be all kinds of sport utility vehicles that could be nominated
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-16-2020, 10:55 AM
Raellus's Avatar
Raellus Raellus is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Marana, AZ
Posts: 2,792
Default Rationale and Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
FYI if we are talking about the US there would be all kinds of sport utility vehicles that could be nominated
-too many to fit in one poll, so I stuck with military vehicles.

Other countries have trucks/SUVs too, BTW. The first image in Osprey's New Vanguard volume on Technicals is a Dodge truck operated by the PFLP in Amman, Jordan in 1970. Various militias employed various makes and models of trucks (CJ-series Jeeps, Dodges, Chevys, Land Rovers, and Toyota Land Cruisers, to name a few) technicals in Lebanon in the 1980s (widely considered the birthplace of the technical). Chad and Libya (especially the latter) made extensive use of civilian model truck-based technicals in the Great Toyota War of the late 1980s. And then, of course, the technical became famous in Somalia in the mid 1990s.

It's not just paramilitaries that operate trucks and SUVs outside of the U.S. When I lived in Ecuador in the late '80s, a lot of upper class [civilian] families owned SUVs (Toyotas, Mitsubishis, and Chevys, predominantly, with a few older model Land Rovers still kicking around). So, although they were/are most common there, SUVs and trucks are not exclusive to the U.S.A.
__________________
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure module, Rook's Gambit, and campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, available-

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-17-2020, 10:21 AM
rcaf_777's Avatar
rcaf_777 rcaf_777 is offline
Staff Headquarter Weinie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Petawawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,016
Default

Volkswagen Type 183
__________________
I will not hide. I will not be deterred nor will I be intimidated from my performing my duty, I am a Canadian Soldier.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-17-2020, 12:40 PM
Olefin Olefin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Greencastle, PA
Posts: 2,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
-too many to fit in one poll, so I stuck with military vehicles.

Other countries have trucks/SUVs too, BTW. The first image in Osprey's New Vanguard volume on Technicals is a Dodge truck operated by the PFLP in Amman, Jordan in 1970. Various militias employed various makes and models of trucks (CJ-series Jeeps, Dodges, Chevys, Land Rovers, and Toyota Land Cruisers, to name a few) technicals in Lebanon in the 1980s (widely considered the birthplace of the technical). Chad and Libya (especially the latter) made extensive use of civilian model truck-based technicals in the Great Toyota War of the late 1980s. And then, of course, the technical became famous in Somalia in the mid 1990s.

It's not just paramilitaries that operate trucks and SUVs outside of the U.S. When I lived in Ecuador in the late '80s, a lot of upper class [civilian] families owned SUVs (Toyotas, Mitsubishis, and Chevys, predominantly, with a few older model Land Rovers still kicking around). So, although they were/are most common there, SUVs and trucks are not exclusive to the U.S.A.
I agree with you completely and amend my previous statement - and for those wanting to set a campaign in Africa by 2001 there literally is every kind of modified SUV technical/gun truck you can think of in use. They would make up the bulk of the Somali mobile forces being used for everything from APC's to anti-aircraft to anti-tank equipped SUV's - even ones with light mortars mounted to them. Ditto for much of the Rwandan Army and for the LRA as well.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM
Raellus's Avatar
Raellus Raellus is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Marana, AZ
Posts: 2,792
Default

I appreciate how one can't see the results of the poll until one has taken it.

I'd been holding off, but to bump it (and see the results to date), I made my pick.

I chose the Humvee for a few reasons:

1. It's on the cover of T2K v1!

2. For the most common model, its relatively easy to mount heavy weapons to (and provide a modicum of protection for the gunner with a lightly armored gunshield).

3. Of the other options, it's relatively easy to add "hillbilly armor" to.

4. I used to think Humvees looked really cool, especially when they were rolling around Panama during Just Cause, '89.
__________________
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure module, Rook's Gambit, and campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, available-

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.