RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Flash-Bangs

kcdusk 12-06-2005, 10:11 PM Are concussion grenades the same as flash-bang grenades used by SAS and SWAT type teams?

Abbott Shaull 12-07-2005, 02:51 AM They are very similar if not entirely the same. I think it just depends on what organization you are talking about who talking about these items.

Abbott

Targan 12-07-2005, 03:11 AM I am not sure about the terminologies used in other militaries, but I am pretty sure I have seen both flash-bangs and concussion grenades in Australia and they are not the same. The flash-bangs I have seen have many small charges inside and holes in the case. Concussion grenades are a decent-sized hand grenade which come in flat ended cylinder shape and have a single charge, but have a case which does not produce fragments. As I understand it flash-bangs don't blow out the windows of enclosed rooms but concussion grenades do, and while a flash-bang going off in your hand might severely injure it, a concussion grenade would blow your hand off.

copeab 12-07-2005, 03:51 AM Are concussion grenades the same as flash-bang grenades used by SAS and SWAT type teams?

No. Flash-bangs are intended to confuse and stun victims by a bright flash and loud bang. They are not intended to cause any physical injuries, although it is possible for one to (unintentionally) set a fire if flammable materials are present. A concussion grenagde (sometimes called an "offensive grenade", I think) is basically a regular hand grenade without any inherent fragmentation effect (obviously, any blas tcan pick up broken glass, metal fragments, splinters, etc.). I believe they were designed to be used by attacking troops who may lack cover from the fragmentation effects of their own grenades. Fragmentation grenades (sometimes called "defensive grenades") to have a significant fragmentation effect that covers a larger radius than the actual lethal blast radius of the explosive. They are intended to be used by troops from defensive positions, where the thrower and mates won't get sprayed by fragments from his own grenade.