RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default The Rock Island Arsenal

For an alternate timeline I am trying to come up with a Logical reason for closing the Rock Island Arsenal during one of the rounds of BRAC (I want to have it be transformed into a private development like the Glenview NAS and Fort Sheridan were.) These would be closed in a more modern timeline not necessarily a T2k one.

Of course as BRAC is about political maneuvering as much as it is about the logic of defending the nation, It is easy to say it happened. I am wondering about the ramifications though.

I was hoping this group might have opinions on how such a closure might effect the nations defense plans. For example what other bases might take some of the load. How reserve plans might be affected(It is a Reserve HQ if I recall correctly). Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

"Somebody's brother-in-law" did some favors for some local politicians and big munitions concerns. BRAC decides that Rock Island is "vital to the nation's defense." Ergo, Rock Island stays open with a slightly updated mission. And part of the new mission is the development of some very innovative weapon system designs.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
For an alternate timeline I am trying to come up with a Logical reason for closing the Rock Island Arsenal during one of the rounds of BRAC (I want to have it be transformed into a private development like the Glenview NAS and Fort Sheridan were.) These would be closed in a more modern timeline not necessarily a T2k one.

Of course as BRAC is about political maneuvering as much as it is about the logic of defending the nation, It is easy to say it happened. I am wondering about the ramifications though.

I was hoping this group might have opinions on how such a closure might effect the nations defense plans. For example what other bases might take some of the load. How reserve plans might be affected(It is a Reserve HQ if I recall correctly). Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks.

I think its closure would have political rather than strategic ramifications.

There are a number of commercial factories in the US that make weapons, vehicles and ammunition, but Rock Island is the only active US Army foundry. I think there are seven other government owned ammunition plants in the US (maybe more), but they only make munitions of various types. I think Rock Island only builds artillery and munitions now, and they could be built elsewhere and maybe more efficiently. But closing it could lead to a lot of protests from veterans, historians, some politicians and a lot of people who are upset about the closure or transfer overseas of American industrial infrastructure.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Administrator

As far as I know the 2005 BRAC was the only time it was seriously suggested that Rock Island could be on the chopping block.

I've been toying with the idea of the facility being closed for political reasons and the successor to Blackwater security (they change names so often) starting their Grizzly_APC production on the Island. With my fictional BW CEO being from the quad cities and politically connected in Illinois.

I'm trying to throw a REALLY strong wildcard into the mix for a 2013 Illinois scenario. You would have an semi elite force, with a unbelievably defensible location and gobs of equipment to work with.

I could just make the US forces on the Island declare themselves a "free city" like Krakow, but I like the idea of the base closing in 2006 and being redesigned for a quasi civilian/military tenant.

Glenview NAS and Fort Sheridan are other options for the same BW facility. When they were closed they became mixed use civilian facilities, but each is too close to Chicago for my goals.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
Close the facility that designed and built the M102 and M198 Howitzers, and rebuilt the M107s into M110s??? Heresy!!!! BURN THE WITCH!!!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Administrator

I am heavier than a duck. You may be onto something.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
I think its closure would have political rather than strategic ramifications.

There are a number of commercial factories in the US that make weapons, vehicles and ammunition, but Rock Island is the only active US Army foundry. I think there are seven other government owned ammunition plants in the US (maybe more), but they only make munitions of various types. I think Rock Island only builds artillery and munitions now, and they could be built elsewhere and maybe more efficiently. But closing it could lead to a lot of protests from veterans, historians, some politicians and a lot of people who are upset about the closure or transfer overseas of American industrial infrastructure.
Lake City is the backbone, but a lot of critical work is done at R.I. It would be as bad as closing Watervliet(all mortar and cannon barrels are made there), since it makes most of the rest of the large guns. One could consolidate everything at Watervliet, and move the command part to Natick. Make a story where IL lost political clout and so it was closed.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Some entrepreneur shows a plan (starting with politicians) that the Rock Island Arsenal can run much more efficiently in private hands with military oversight than as a US-gov't run entity. 250 military personnel, 6000 civilian employees - that's 6000 people off the gov't payroll, who can be replaced as soon as someone with a similar skill set and a lower price (salary) and less benefits.

While too expensive to be bought outright, RIA could be leased by the entrepreneur from the US Gov't, cost of the lease used as a credit against the charge for producing military output and R&D work.

In a Merc: 2000 type environment, with reduction of apparent gov't expenditure paramount, It's possible. The Entrepreneur & his working group can also look for graft/selling off stuff left laying around RIA as a bonus...

Uncle Ted
Old 08-10-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkated View Post
Some entrepreneur shows a plan (starting with politicians) that the Rock Island Arsenal can run much more efficiently in private hands with military oversight than as a US-gov't run entity. 250 military personnel, 6000 civilian employees - that's 6000 people off the gov't payroll, who can be replaced as soon as someone with a similar skill set and a lower price (salary) and less benefits.

While too expensive to be bought outright, RIA could be leased by the entrepreneur from the US Gov't, cost of the lease used as a credit against the charge for producing military output and R&D work.

In a Merc: 2000 type environment, with reduction of apparent gov't expenditure paramount, It's possible. The Entrepreneur & his working group can also look for graft/selling off stuff left laying around RIA as a bonus...

Uncle Ted
GOCO like Lake City- Govt Owned, Contractor Operated?
Old 08-11-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
GOCO like Lake City- Govt Owned, Contractor Operated?
Since you made me go and look it up.....

Yes, more or less, but with (hopefully) less governmental oversight as long as the contracted results are produced. (By which I mean that I am presuming there is a decent government oversight in day to day operations of Lake City; for Rock Island scenario, the presumption would be fro lowered government oversight

(We're producing what you want and it is costing the government less; what else do you need to know? )

Lake City itself can be an interesting location for a T2K scenario - if operational, the plant is an asset that would need to be protected - including it's workforce. Who holds Missouri, MilGov or CivGov?

Keeping it operational - or alternatively, shutting it down without destroying it, or an unwelcome visit to its warehouses, could be and interesting piece of campaign. Lots of buildings, lots of space (all mighty flat terrain).

By canon, there are no named strikes against Rock Island or Lake City (or the other similar plants across the country), but cannon includes a number of smaller nukes that may have been used against unnamed targets...

Uncle Ted