RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Surface to Air fire

kcdusk 12-13-2005, 08:31 PM Reading Free City of Krakow, it gives some ATG rules in v1.0 speak. In short, its 10 + the infra red signature of the aircraft you are shooting at (some are harder to hit than others).

Pmulchys site gives a heap of details on SAM's in v2.2 speak. For each type of SAM, it gives a difficulty level to hit. Do you need to take into consideration any modifiers for the type of aircraft you are shooting at?

pmulcahy 12-13-2005, 09:40 PM That's something I didn't think of, except in the case of stealth aircraft...

Yes, the type of target, engine, and engine configuration will affect the ability to hit it with IR missiles. The A-10, for example, is more difficult to hit from the ground or the air with IR missiles; it's engines are designed to run "cool," and the mounting of the engines mean that the wings, tail, and even the fuselage shield the engines from view from many angles (especially the lower front). Piston-engined aircraft do not produce anywhere near the IR signature as a jet or turbofan. (However, if you've read the book ...And Kill MiGs, you may remember the incident where Randy Cunningham and Willie Driscoll killed a truck whose engine was running hot with a Sidewinder!) Smaller aircraft (unless they have abnormally powerful engines) will present less of a heat signature than larger aircraft. Things like cruise missiles and UAVs present very tiny IR signatures. And of course, stealth aircraft are designed with features that cool the exhaust before is leaves the aircraft, dramatically lowering the IR signature (there would be little point to stealth otherwise).

:Sigh: More work to do...

kcdusk 12-13-2005, 10:56 PM What were you waiting for? An invitation to do more work? :-)

Nup, thanks for that. I was just after some thoughts, i liked the idea given in v1.0 re IR signatures for each aircraft but didnt know if v2.2 would need it also or if 2.2 was such a completlty different system it was "factored in" without needing to do any modifiers.

Didnt think i'd get an answer from the man himself though!

thefusilier 12-14-2005, 09:37 AM I dont have it so I this may not be much help, but dosn't the Aviation/Nautical handbook have ground to air rules in it?

pmulcahy 12-14-2005, 11:08 AM Well, yes it does. In my opinion, however, they are more a base to build upon rather than a good set of rules as they stand.