RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Do any of you own firearms?

dawg180 09-26-2004, 11:38 AM Me and my one friend were discussing why we started playing Twilight 2000 "back in the day" and why we still do and came to the conlcusion that a large part of it is being able to use weapons that we didn't or don't have access to.

Well, in the years since I started playing T2K and have become an adult I have gotten into shooting and have a fascination (OK, more of an obsession) with "assault weapons." I started out with one and currenlty have a couple including one I am building up on my own form disassembled parts (heck, does that give me Gunsmith: 1? )

Anyhow, I was curious to hear if any of my T2K brethern here have a similar fascination and what you may have. Sorry TiggerCCW UK, I realize that even dart guns aren't allowed over the pond anymore, but feel free to add anything you want to the discussion! And yes, you boys can all come live with me when the A-bomb drops, I have plenty of toys to share!

At the moment, here is what I have (all semi-auto)

1. M4 carbine with flat top (a "preban" rifle until the AWB sunsetted two weeks ago)

2. M4 carbine with A1 carry handle (no bayonet lug or flash supressor- A "postban" rifle up until the AWB sunsetted two weeks ago)

3. M16A1 clone. Just got this one finished. It is a complete match for an M16A1 except that the receivers are black instead of "Colt grey" and no full auto. (Illinois doesn't allow full auto)

4. ANOTHER AR-15 that is just parts right now- not sure what to build. Thinking AR pistol w/7.5" barrel (a flamethrower handcannon!)or maybe an M16A3 clone.

5. Uzi with folding stock (semi auto with 16" barrel due to Illinois law)

I also have a few hanguns including a Steyr Hahn 1912 which I have fired maybe 20 times. For those of you not fmailiar, this is the one that loads into an integral magazine from stripper clips- very cool but archaic!

OK, now that I have scared you all with the list of my cool toys, anyone else want to chime in?

Grimace 09-26-2004, 03:17 PM Not much for me. One shotgun and one .30-40 Krag carbine. Nothing more.

Webstral 09-26-2004, 03:42 PM I'd love to acquire an M16-type rifle, but the lapsing of the federal assault weapon ban doesn't affect California, to the best of my knowledge. The People's Republic of California retains the right to ban just about every high-performance weapon one could desire.

At home I have an SKS, a Mossberg 500, and a Taurus .357.

Webstral

Matt Wiser 09-26-2004, 03:44 PM Just two for me: and I got both before the State of CA passed its own Assault Weapon Ban (had to pay $45 each to the state to register them, no thanks to some idiot who shot up a schoolyard in Stockton back in '89 with an AK-47 he got in Oregon). A semi-auto FNC and a SPAS-12 shotgun (both of which my PC uses in the game).

Rainbow Six 09-26-2004, 05:51 PM As I'm on the same side of the Atlantic as Tigger, the answer for me is no, never have and never likely to.

Of all the people that I know, I know of two have shotgun licences - and only one of them actually owns a shotgun - it's a double barreled - no idea what make.

TR 09-26-2004, 07:01 PM This may surprise many but the answer is no... not at the moment, I know I have a TON of firearms on my page but don't own any at the moment. The thought has crossed my mind with the sunsetting of the recent laws on (so called) assault rifle variants and large capacity magazines.

Until Later

TR

Snake Eyes 09-26-2004, 07:32 PM Here's my fearsome arsenal:

SIG/Sauer P229 .40 cal

Winchester Defender 1300 12 ga. shotgun

Marlin .22 bolt action rifle

Also been shopping for a .357 revolver -- and, before my governor so kindly banned them a few weeks ago, I was looking into .50 BMG "target" rifles.

TR 09-26-2004, 07:48 PM Ahhhh the 357 Magnum... favorite of mine as I learned to shoot at a young age with a S&W Model 66 4 inch revolver which was my fathers duty issue piece back in the 70's and 80's. Should I make a purchase probably the first thing I would obtain would be a 357 Magnum wheelgun.

http://www.wapahani.com/106_06061.jpg

the weapon in question

Until Later

TR

ReHerakhte 09-27-2004, 04:47 AM Well, before Australia succumbed to the "Guns are Evil" game, I owned the following (in order of acquisition): -

.44Mag Marlin model 94 lever-action (modern remake of Winchester 1894 lever-action)

12g Winchester Ranger 1300 pump-action with a 'short' slug barrel (I think it was labelled as a Deer Barrel, I always intended to get a longer barrel in addition but the slug barrel was great for bush work and I never got around to buying the second, longer barrel)

.22LR Ruger 10/22 semi-auto (with third party 25-rd mags for when I missed the first, second, third, fourth etc. shot... but seriously, my friend also had a 10/22 and we thought the 25-rd mags would be 'cool'!)

.30cal M1 Carbine (not because I particularly wanted an M1 but because it was available with a bunch of accessories for a cheap price)

.22LR single-shot bolt-action (one of the three rifles my grandfather owned before he passed away, it's a Stevens and is old enough that it doesn't actually have any serial number on it so the police list it as number '000'!)

After a few dumb-arses shot a few people here in Aussie, the government instituted a 'gun buy back' where they banned a number of firearms and got them out of the hands of civilians by buying them from them. Afterwards the majority of them where cut up for scrap.

Now I am left with the .44Mag Marlin and the .22LR Stevens because according to the propaganda from some anti-gun fanatics, all semi-auto rifles actually do more damage than their equivalent bolt-action and pump-action shotguns blast people across the room - just like in the movies :boid:

Anyway, enough ranting from me...

Cheers,

Kevin

TiggerCCW UK 09-27-2004, 06:01 AM Guns? Can any one really own them privately? I wish!!! At present the nearest that I come is a Sig P226 airsoft replica, in the frightening 6mm BB calibre! In an ideal world however I have a fondness for the Glock 20. Maybe one day........

Twilight2000V3 09-27-2004, 08:36 AM Tigger..... yes the Glock 20 is very nice... I carried a Glock 29 off duty. 10mm is nice but expensive to shoot!!

The M-1 carbine is not a bad weapon. Id rather carry that then an SMG. The .30 Carbine round has more muzzle energy at 100 yards then a .357 mag round at the muzzle. I'd use it as an entry gun.

recon35 09-27-2004, 11:18 AM I have a .357 from my early days in Law Enforcement, before they provided us with weapons, a .22L Marlin with a scope that I inherited from my dad., an M1 .30 Carbine (from dad), a 16 guage double barrel (from dad), and an ancient 5 shot .38 from my grandfather. I had a .40 Glock, but had to return it when I left law enforcement. I wish we had gone with the .40 Baretta, as I am one of the few who don't care much for the Glock, though i had an early model with a slick handgrip that got slippery after a long day's shooting in the August heat, so maybe that's why I don't like them. I understand later models had molded handgrips.

Mouser 09-27-2004, 11:52 AM I also added a rubber sleeve to my Glock to help with the grip.

Glock 23 .40

I'm saving up for more stuff...

But this is fun to shoot and easy to clean, so...

Aaron 09-27-2004, 12:14 PM A few, nothing really fancy or "banned". You may notice I've developed a trend for Ruger, not intentional they've just always been a good value when I've been shopping.

Rifles

Lee Enfield No 1 Mk 3, .303 British

Ruger Mini-14, 5.56mm NATO

Ruger 10/22, .22 LR

Pistols

S&W M6906, 9mm Para

Ruger P90, .45 ACP

Ruger Mk 1, .22 LR

Ruger GP-100, .357 Mag

TiggerCCW UK 09-27-2004, 12:39 PM Lee Enfield? How did you end up with one of those in California? It was the first rifle I ever shot, the No4 version. Absolutely loved it and I still have a very soft spot for it. Hell of a kick from it though. Very accurate too. :fsniper:

Twilight2000V3 09-27-2004, 07:00 PM Yeah Enfields are ALL over the place.... you can pick them up for under $100 US sometimes. Aaron next time we game bring it over if you can I wanna see it.... great deer gun too.

I carried a Beretta .40 for 2 years when I worked for the Feds... YUCK!! 5K rounds an dit had to be sent back to teh factory. The 9mm hold up better from what I understand. I've owned Glocks, HKs, SIGs, Walthers, and even (my favorite) a Steyr GB-80. It was an AWESOME gun but the trigger pull was horrible. One of the best guns Ive fired but have yet to buy is actually a Baby Eagle. I shot a 9mm version and it was VERY smooth. It fit me very well.

Anyone ever hear much about the Beretta Cougars? Ive heard mixed reviews.

Mouser 09-27-2004, 08:13 PM One of the best guns Ive fired but have yet to buy is actually a Baby Eagle. I shot a 9mm version and it was VERY smooth. It fit me very well.

The Jericho is a beautiful weapon, but it gets short shrift from the Israelis who make it. They wouldn't be caught dead with it because they love their Sigs and Berettas.

I lived in Israel for six years and even got drafted into the IDF, and Israelis universally dislike the Jericho (Baby Eagle) and the Uzi, even though the rest of the world swears by them.

I've never fired the new Barak auto, but it looks clunky and I prefer something slim and light... But that's just me. I'd hate to leave my weapon at home because it was a pain to carry...

And then need it.

TR 09-27-2004, 08:42 PM The M-1 Carbine, it's one of those interesting weapons hated by some beloved by others (and not much of people in the middle ground for some reason)... it's a weapon which has been popular with law enforcement officers in rural areas especially. I know because my father carried a M-1 Carbine in his cruiser for the length of his service with the Indiana State Police, even in the 1980's when some cops were switching over to Colt and Ruger designs. With minimal changes (a replacement stock per se with pistol grip) the M-1 is still a perfect weapon for law enforcement in which engagements are in close ranges of 100 Yards or less.

I do recall hearing about a run in he had with a local Sheriff's department SWAT group that thought they could outshoot him on range with their scoped Ruger Mini-14's... big mistake as he sent them home packing with his M-1. Weapons are important but as always the skill of the shooter is what counts in the end.

TR

Blackrider 09-27-2004, 11:46 PM when i was living in the US i owned a single barrel 12-gauge, a .22 bolt action single shot, and a Marlin .30-.30 lever action,

since im living in australia now.. i would be luck to have a baseball bat

hitman 09-28-2004, 12:56 AM I hunt deer.

I own a 12 gauge pump action shotgun and a .303 rifle.

In three years I have fired the shotgun once, a clean kill.

I still brag about being 100% shot, and offer lessons. :biggrin:

ReHerakhte 09-28-2004, 06:48 AM Re: M1 Carbine

Funnily enough, I wasn't particularly interested in the M1 Carbine as a firearm to own but after buying it and taking it out bush it was just so damned handy because of its size. Keep in mind I was trained up on the L1A1 in the Army and it's long and somewhat heavy (but damn I loved that rifle, could shoot through doors just as well as it smashed 'em down with the butt!) then when I was actually buying firearms for my own use I tended towards weapons that were quick to use when hunting (I've always been better at short-range, instinctive shooting than longer-range, aimed shooting).

I'd only ever use my M1 as a short-range weapon because the rear sight was a little sloppy when set for longer ranges. I was mainly hunting feral cats or wild dogs with the M1, for some of the harder to kill stuff like kangaroos, emus and feral goats I would use the .44MAG Marlin. I even used the 'matchstick trick' so beloved of Brit & Aussie troopies for their L1A1 rifles on my M1. The L1A1 could be converted to full-auto by the proper insertion of a matchstick in the trigger mechanism allowing somewhat controlled bursts to be fired, however, when I tried the same trick on my M1, it emptied the entire mag without stopping even when I released the trigger (fortunately I had only loaded 10-rds for the 'test') So I guess that's what happens when you think your Gunsmith skill is 5 when it's really only 4!

I had intended to buy more firearms but here in Australia we were already limited in some States as to what we could buy and I lived in one of the most restrictive States (Western Australia). Other States like Queensland allowed the ownership of semi-auto copies of the M14, M16, HK33, G3, AUG etc.

The gun buy back was in the late 1990s so if the balloon had gone up in 1996 I would still own all my firearms and would have been on my way to owning a few pistols in 9mmP, .357MAG and .40cal with the choices probably being a SIG P226, an S&W Model 19 with 6-in barrel and a Glock 22 although I wasn't 100% certain of the types.

And being only just out of the military for a year or so by then, I knew where I could 'acquire' Australian Army AUGs and Minimis if I was subversively minded enough!

As Blackrider alluded, now in Aussie, firearms ownership is actively discouraged in some quarters and it's extremely difficult to get many 'high powered' firearms unless you have a demonstrable need (like destruction of vermin animals) and anything that looks vaguely military is a big NO WAY from the government.

But enough dribbling from me,

Cheers,

Kevin

TiggerCCW UK 09-28-2004, 03:42 PM At least you can own some form of rifle!!!! The best I can manage is a BB gun!!

Aaron 09-28-2004, 07:47 PM Lee Enfield? How did you end up with one of those in California? It was the first rifle I ever shot, the No4 version. Absolutely loved it and I still have a very soft spot for it. Hell of a kick from it though. Very accurate too. :fsniper:

There are plenty of WW2 vintage bolt action rifles available in the US. It is not uncommon to see Lee Enfield No 1 Mk 3, Enfield #4 Mk 1, Enfield #5 Jungle carbines, German and Czech Mausers, Soviet Mosin Nagants etc. Usually under $150, I think I paid $89 for the #3 Mk1, I looked it up one time and based on the date I believe it is an Australian made rifle. The Australians stuck with the #3 Mk 1 after the UK went to the #4.

The .303 is fun to shoot although the ammo can be expensive when surplus ammo isn't available.

TiggerCCW UK 09-29-2004, 02:33 AM #5 Jungle Carbine? Broken shoulder any one?? $89 - thats what 60? For my BB gun I paid 30-40 I think. The world is ill divided!!!

ReHerakhte 09-29-2004, 06:07 AM Hey Tigger, if it's any consolation, the West Australian government has banned the sale of BB guns (i.e. any of the airsoft, spring powered etc. types).

Because some "touchy-feely" types thought that if kids bought them, it would teach them how to shoot guns and kill people, anyone buying one had to produce proof of age if they didn't look old enough and some shops (basically to cover their own arses) required you to supply your name and address to be recorded in a register of people buying the BB guns. After this it was found that a number of crims were using the BB guns for holdups and so to prevent this, the WA Govt banned the sale of BB guns. The "touchy-feely" types were only too happy to jump onto this as they argued that a police officer wouldn't be able to tell what was a real gun and what was a BB replica (which is a fair statement to make) and so they may accidentally shoot kids with BB guns (which is so f**ken ridiculous I can't believe they actually suggested a cop may shoot a child because he 'appears' to have a handgun - that would have to be one evil looking MoFo kid, like a cross between Jason Vorhies and the Terminator or something :mischievo )

Basically this means that in this State, you have no chance of buying replica firearms, no chance of having any of the Airsoft type sportsgames like they have in the US & Japan etc. and it's not worth your while to go through all the garbage to own a deactivated firearm (it's actually easier to get a normal firearms licence but you certainly aren't going to get anything of military interest that way).

However, you can easily find SMLE, Kar98, Swedish Mauser, Czech Mauser and any type of lever-action or bolt-action sporting/hunting rifle - as long as you qualify for a licence and all those old military bolt-actions are classed as 'High Powered' so you require a notice from a farm owner with sufficient acreage saying you have permission to use that rifle for destruction of vermin on their property. So unless you have this permission or belong to an 'approved' club, you aint never gonna own a High Powered rifle here.

Yay Australian Democracy :2pissed:

Cheers,

Kevin

TiggerCCW UK 09-29-2004, 07:22 AM I think this example best shows how bad things are here. I know that we have a few weapon related problems here in Belfast, but I think this is taking the piss a bit.

A few years ago a friend of mine announced that he was getting married. Another friend and I were trying to think of things to do on the stag do. I suggested a day at a local farm that organised clay pigeon shooting. We agreed that this was a good idea and I phoned them. The call went something like this;

Hello, do you arrange day long shooting sessions?

Yes

I'd be interested in booking a session for twelve people please.

Certainly. Have you all got shotgun certificates?

No.

Then I'm sorry, we can't help you. Goodbye.

To even use someone elses shotgun in a supervised environment for one day we would all have had to apply for a full certificate, requiring God knows what background checks and costing a small fortune in application fees.

To the best of my knowledge not even mainland UK is this bad.

antimedic 09-29-2004, 07:44 AM M1 carbine, a Chicom SKS, and a nice little .22 rat slayer.

Cpl. Kalkwarf 10-14-2004, 05:52 AM guess im pretty lucky then living in the middle of the USA in Nebraska.

Weapons I own (all military types are semi auto)

AK-47

SVD Dragonov Sniper (my favorite)

CAR-15 W/ M203 (37mm flare launcher)

303 Enfield No1 Mk3 snipper

303 Enfileld No1 Mk3

7.62 nato Enfileld (Indian)- 2 of these love em!!

Colt .45 Gov Auto Pistol

Colt Kimber .45 Auto pistol

remington 870 12ga riot gun with folding stock

Sharps 45-70 Buffalo rifle (squirl gun)

Winchester 44-40 Rifle

44-40 Colt Revover

44 mag Ruger Vaquero

.38 Colt Open top Conversion

used to have more but sold some off before the ban was inacted, though havent gotten rid of any since then and never will.

this list doesnt incluse the family guns that ill inherit when dad passes on that he got from grandpa.

I dont get out as much to shoot them as i would like though.

helix 10-29-2004, 08:37 AM HI ALL !!! Been a while ! Yes,collect,buy, sell,trade,life member NRA and Washington Arms Collectors.29 in my battery right now including 2 drillings several steyr and merkal bolt actions 2 winchester mod 70,s and a double rifle.Some 13 handguns ranging from 1896 broomhandle mauser, 1903 colt,1916 luger artillery to colt ss national match (matte) with ivory grips.Two "black guns" an olyarms ar-15 and a custom rem 870 with peep sights.Nice to see the old faces and very nice to see some new ones.Right now I am in an artillery unit in kuwait doing what I can to keep the hobby alive.CARRY ON -MSG HELIX