RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 04-29-2021, 11:45 AM

Default Nukes!

I have worked up nuclear bombs and artillery shells. While info on American, British, South African, and French weapons is readily available, information on the other countries is sparse to say the least.

Enjoy and modify as desired.
Attached Files
File Type: doc NUCLEAR BOMBS AND ARTILLERY SHELLS.doc (221.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-29-2021, 01:03 PM
The Stat Guy

Israeli bombs are probably similar to South African bombs, as the were developed in close cooperation with the South Africans. As the South Africans divested themselves of all nuclear materials and bombs in 1991, the Israelis have probably improved their bombs and warheads since then on their own and may have developed new ones.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 04-29-2021, 03:23 PM

I always thought it was the Israelis first and the South Africans second for the nuclear bomb. The Israelis getting the technology from France and the US, South Africa getting the skinny from the British and/or France, and a little clandestine intel as well from sympathetic scientists.
After all, these countries were theorized to have been nuclear capable in the late 60s and early 70s, and both were cozy with 2/3 countries mentioned above.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Israeli bombs are probably similar to South African bombs, as the were developed in close cooperation with the South Africans. As the South Africans divested themselves of all nuclear materials and bombs in 1991, the Israelis have probably improved their bombs and warheads since then on their own and may have developed new ones.
The South Africans in the Kenya Sourcebook actually built and deployed nukes since neither the V1 or V2 canon had apartheid ending. The sizes they used in Angola and Mozambique after the Soviets hit them were consistent with what they were developing with the Israelis.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
The South Africans in the Kenya Sourcebook actually built and deployed nukes since neither the V1 or V2 canon had apartheid ending. The sizes they used in Angola and Mozambique after the Soviets hit them were consistent with what they were developing with the Israelis.
That's a really interesting alternative history concept. I'd never given much thought to the v1 Cold-War-Never-Ended timeline ramifications re South African politics. It definitely stands to reason that if Apartheid didn't end either, the SAAF would have held on to its nuclear arsenal (and used them if it perceived an existential threat, or major strategic benefit).

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 04-29-2021, 04:45 PM

The South African info I found indicated they went with a simple gun-type design using HEU. I even saw some pictures of them. They were intended for use in Canberra bombers. The yield given was about 6 - 8kt.

Had not really considered that South Africa might have been given a design by the Israelis. I personally believe Israel got at least some design details regarding the B-61 and B-43 design, if not the out and out designs. Not that the US would exactly actually furnish that data. I don't think even the British have ever received design details on any US nuke other than in a general way.

Last edited by mpipes; 04-29-2021 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:25 PM

If curious, here the link to the Wikipedia page. Note the picture of the bomb casings - eight of them and maybe eight more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_...ss_destruction

Last edited by mpipes; 04-29-2021 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:44 PM

This looks really good and probably useful to add some color and flavor for anything "fun" found by the PCs in the right situation.

Just a suggested reading for anyone curious is this:
The U.S. Nuclear Arsenal: A History of Weapons and Delivery Systems since 1945 by Dr. Norman Polmar. If I remember he covers some of the tech transfer for at least Skybolt and the SLBMs to the UK.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpipes View Post
If curious, here the link to the Wikipedia page. Note the picture of the bomb casings - eight of them and maybe eight more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_...ss_destruction
One reason I had the South Africans keep their nukes was the per the timeline the Cubans didnt withdraw out of Angola until 2000 - one big reason they gave their nukes up in OTL was the Cubans leaving Angola - thus they didnt need them anymore

Tags
b-61, bombs, nuclear weapons, nukes, we.177