RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 01-03-2011, 02:49 PM

Default RAF Regiment

A British unit that might make a good basis for a PC group.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RAF Rgt.pdf (416.3 KB, 314 views)
Old 01-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

James,

Outstanding, as usual! Love the pictures.

Tony
Old 01-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Default Well Done

James,

I enjoyed the article!!!

Mike
Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Good stuff, James. Keep 'em coming.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 01-04-2011, 12:40 AM
[Armchair Commando]

Send a message via MSN to Snake Eyes Send a message via Yahoo to Snake Eyes

Nice write-up. I have an associate who served with the "rock apes" and, apart from a deployment to Iraq, seems to have spent most of his enlistment in Germany watching satellite television while pretending to defend the NATO nuclear arsenal from incursions by the various small woodland creatures that populate the Rhineland. He claims to have hated every minute of it, but (his real life experiences notwithstanding) I always thought The Regiment would be a cool background for a UK PC.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 AM

Nice write up...well done.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 PM

good work !
"There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
--General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 AM
In your own time, go on...

As a Gunner myself, it's nice to see someone remembering the poor old RAF Regiment.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM

Most of my dealings with the Rocks in the 80's was in pub carparks, fighting over taxis.

It ended as a score draw after 6 years.

The Rapier units the USAF paid for to defend their UK Airfields were missed off, I can remember 66sqn that were based at RAF West Raynham, there were others 15sqn? maybe, but I can't remember.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:25 PM

Hello all, pulled this from my files for James and everyone..........
Attached Images
File Type: pdf uk_rafregt1947-2002.pdf (122.5 KB, 178 views)
Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louied View Post
Louie,

Great work, thanks for sharing!

Tony
Old 01-11-2011, 03:21 AM

Louie, that's a great listing - thanks for putting it up.

I had no idea that pre Options for Change there was both a 63 Squadron and a Queen's Colour Squadron...
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louied View Post
Really useful thanks - when I get chance I will look at upgrading in line with this.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
Really useful thanks - when I get chance I will look at upgrading in line with this.
Rewritten and expanded as promised.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RAF Rgt 16-01-11.pdf (436.1 KB, 179 views)
Old 01-18-2011, 02:38 PM

I like this a lot. I joined up a mere five years ago, so I am not really able to comment on the state of the RAF Regiment during the period of the Twilight War. However, a few things I noticed which apply to the modern day RAF Regiment include the fact that you identify the RAF tactical recognition flash (introduced around 2005-6, I think) as a specifically RAF Regiment TRF. This TRF is actually worn by all non-Regiment members of the Royal Air Force, whereas only RAF Regiment personnel not assigned to squadrons (i.e. members of Ground Defence Training Flights, instructors, etc) wear the RAF TRF. Members of formed squadrons wear a squadron-specific TRF in subdued colours appropriate to the theatre. For example, 2620 Sqn has a TRF depicting a griffin, while 63 Sqn has an eagle with roman numerals for 63 underneath.

Pedantic, I know, but a lot of Gunners go out of their way to avoid wearing an RAF TRF even if they are supposed to, and the same for the Royal Air Force chest tape on the CS95 shirt. The RAF Regiment likes to try and differentiate itself from the guins as much as possible.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perardua View Post
I like this a lot. I joined up a mere five years ago, so I am not really able to comment on the state of the RAF Regiment during the period of the Twilight War. However, a few things I noticed which apply to the modern day RAF Regiment include the fact that you identify the RAF tactical recognition flash (introduced around 2005-6, I think) as a specifically RAF Regiment TRF. This TRF is actually worn by all non-Regiment members of the Royal Air Force, whereas only RAF Regiment personnel not assigned to squadrons (i.e. members of Ground Defence Training Flights, instructors, etc) wear the RAF TRF. Members of formed squadrons wear a squadron-specific TRF in subdued colours appropriate to the theatre. For example, 2620 Sqn has a TRF depicting a griffin, while 63 Sqn has an eagle with roman numerals for 63 underneath.

Pedantic, I know, but a lot of Gunners go out of their way to avoid wearing an RAF TRF even if they are supposed to, and the same for the Royal Air Force chest tape on the CS95 shirt. The RAF Regiment likes to try and differentiate itself from the guins as much as possible.
Thanks, really useful comments, not sure how I will use. Any idea on what the individual squadron TRFs are?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:01 AM

The squadron TRFs are typically the centre image of the squadron crest rendered in black on a green square. So, as I mentioned, 2620 Sqn (where I started my career) has a griffon, 63 has the eagle (with 63 in yellow roman numerals), II has the winged penis (apparently it's a flying wheel viewed end on), 3 has the bayonet and scorpion, 1 has the chariot, etc. Desert versions are also issued.
To make things more confusing, the FP Wing HQs also issue TRFs, but I can't for the life of me remember any!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Default Expanded and revised version

Expanded slightly.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RAF Rgt 2011-01-07.pdf (401.1 KB, 147 views)
Old 01-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Cthulhu is my pointman

Hate being a nitpicker over an otherwise perfect write-up!:L Just on the point of 3 Squadron based in Northern Ireland, couple of useful points to consider.

Éire technically is the name for the island as a whole. But I thought it was a nice little touch!

Secondly, the Rangers you mention are the Army Ranger Wing and are more akin to true special forces then elite light infantry. The Irish Cav are usually the unit used in most raids and harassments but considering the location of RAF Aldergrove, its an intelligent choice!

Nice write-up, before hand all I knew really was the existence of the RAF Regiment, not much beyond it!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapparee View Post
Hate being a nitpicker over an otherwise perfect write-up!:L Just on the point of 3 Squadron based in Northern Ireland, couple of useful points to consider.

Éire technically is the name for the island as a whole. But I thought it was a nice little touch!

Secondly, the Rangers you mention are the Army Ranger Wing and are more akin to true special forces then elite light infantry. The Irish Cav are usually the unit used in most raids and harassments but considering the location of RAF Aldergrove, its an intelligent choice!

Nice write-up, before hand all I knew really was the existence of the RAF Regiment, not much beyond it!
Please don't be afraid to nitpick, I regard my articles as discussion points that evolve into something that everyone likes and hopefully uses.

Names in Ireland are emotive subjects with different names meaning different things to different people (Derry/Londonderry being a prime example!).

I haven't done much work on Ireland yet, I will probably evolve 3 Squadron a bit when I do so.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Where Band of the Royal Air Force Regiment?
Old 09-09-2012, 06:23 AM

A further expanded rewrite (a few details have changed to fit in better with other things I am working on).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RAF Rgt - low res.pdf (392.6 KB, 109 views)

Tags
british, forces, raf regiment