RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2018, 01:29 PM

Default German Payment to US?

Do you think its feasible for the US to demand that Germany move its gold reserves to US holding before entering the war?

If the 3000 tons of German gold was captured by the Soviets, it would be a MAJOR score.

This would ensure the US gets reimbursed for the action and possible, leaving it with 3000 tons of new gold if the Germans fail.

I cannot see the Germans leaving it in country once the Soviets go on the offensive...
Old 09-19-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
Do you think its feasible for the US to demand that Germany move its gold reserves to US holding before entering the war?
No, absolutely not.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 PM

Do I think it is possible to happen? Yes, it is possible, and I would expect Germany to say NO. Now if the US laid out reasons for it, and they were logical and rational then maybe, but I could also see then decide that moving it to someplace closer (like England?) or moving parts to different areas might also be a better idea. But I would expect any nation to say NO when another one demands they do something with their own property that is not a treaty requirement.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:10 PM

Well, would keeping 3000 tons of gold in nation be a smart move considering the fact the Soviet forces actually crossed the German border?

Where would they move it if not the US? I mean the US must appear to be more secure from invasion then the UK right?

Portugal? France?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:41 PM

Soviets didn't reach the German border until quite late in the war when both sides were virtually spent. Can't see any need for moving much before then, and certainly no real capability later.
Also, there's no way in hell any country will respond well to a demand like that, even if it's from an ally!
Worth remembering as well that the USSR (and communism in general) operated on a command economy. The leadership commanded production and worried about paying the workers and suppliers later. Gold is a little less important under that sort of (very flawed) system.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 09-19-2018, 11:44 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

I could see the German government taking a page from a less reputable prior government and dumping it in a deep mountain lake, with only a very few people aware.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:20 AM
Registered Registrant

What makes you feel that the US should be reimbursed? And reimbursed for what exactly, fulfilling their pledge to help an ally?
Old 09-20-2018, 08:51 AM

I wouldn't even call it a pledge, more like an international obligation.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 09-20-2018, 09:37 AM

Well, didnt Germany really start this whole thing? I mean they sorta stuck the bear, directly no?

I would imagine that all the NATO allies where like really? With the USSR?

Thats a serious ask of a friend...but I hear ya.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:56 AM

There is historical precedent, during WW2, the gold reserves of several countries that fell to the Nazis was evacuated to the UK and the US stored until the end of the war. Some countries left their reserves in the hands of international banks, based in NYC.

Would Germany "pay" the U.S. for its support, extremely doubtful. Would Germany "pay" for military supplies, then yes. Would Germany ship its reserves to the UK/US for safekeeping that depends on how well a Soviet conter-offensivd(s) do.

It's a possibility, but the logistical/security issues of moving 3,000 tons of gold, especially with the threats of sabotage, Spetsnaz raids, not to mention anyone who finds out about the shipment....This would be one hell of a game!
Old 09-20-2018, 01:29 PM

I think at the time of the start of the Twilight nearly all of Germany's gold reserves was already stored in the US Federal Reserve in New York. Some of it was also stored in London and Paris, but the vast majority was stored n New York. I think Germany had (still has) the worlds second largest gold reserves.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:26 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

I the novel warday the US goes back to a Gold Dollar system and pays the UK with transfers from one pile at fort knox to another
Old 09-21-2018, 07:33 AM

Kelly's Heroes x300...
Old 09-21-2018, 11:20 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
Demand? No. Offer, or convince them that it would be a good idea (whether it was or wasn't -- there are arguments on either side of that), yes.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 10-02-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
I think at the time of the start of the Twilight nearly all of Germany's gold reserves was already stored in the US Federal Reserve in New York. Some of it was also stored in London and Paris, but the vast majority was stored n New York. I think Germany had (still has) the worlds second largest gold reserves.
Exactly, they had 1500 tons (half their reserves) stored in NY.
Reason it was there in the first place was to protect it from Soviets but also they had a lot stored in Paris... now that's an interesting twist...
I actually wrote up and ran a game at Origins Game Fair where Italian gold reserves were seized by US Govt..... and promptly disappeared in the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_repatriation