RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2019, 08:34 PM

Default Optional New House Rule I Borrowed

As you all know, I mod my games quite a bit. For those who don't know, I added various Difficulty Levels to the RAW V2.2 game system and simply "shift" up or down in Difficulty Level for modifications to fire combat like movement and cover. Here's a list of my Difficulty Levels in case you are looking at my posted "house rules" here in the forum. I figure a base skill just like RAW (Characteristic + Skill Level) but my Difficulty Levels are less "Coarse" than RAW.

EASY (2 X Base Skill)
ROUTINE (1.5 X Base Skill)
AVERAGE (Base Skill)
DIFFICULT (0.5 X Base Skill)
FORMIDABLE (0.25 X Base Skill)
IMPOSSIBLE (0.1 X Base Skill)

While I have no complaints about the system in general, on some occasions the characters can get overwhelmed by the reductions to a point where they cannot succeed at a skill check (without a crit anyway).

I was looking for an easy to employ and fast to mediate mechanical "penalty for things like a poor position in HTH or a temporary reduction due to an enemy's action. I found such a mechanic in a strange place... as a player in a D&D5e game. The mechanic in question is the ADVANTAGE & DISADVANTAGE Mechanic.

ADVANTAGE & DISADVANTAGE DURING PLAY:

The way this mechanic works is that the player rolls TWO 1D20s instead of just one. IF the character has ADVANTAGE, they take the LOWER of the two rolls and discard the higher one. IF the character is DISADVANTAGED, they must take the HIGHER of the two rolls and discard the lower one. This provides a sufficient penalty or bonus WITHOUT adversely affecting the base target number.

I can see this mechanic being employed when a player is disoriented by an attack but you don't want to fully punish them with a major base skill reduction or to give a small advantage to a character who does something original during play.

All in all, I find this mechanic a good addition to a Twilight2000 V2.2 game.

Last edited by swaghauler; 02-21-2020 at 04:38 PM.