RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-03-2021, 04:20 PM

Default Anyone have a TOE for a US recon company handy?

I know I should have this somewhere but I'm not finding anything post early 80s.

So yeah, recon company (or even battalion) of an armored division is ideally what I'm looking for. Doesn't have to be super precise since I will certainly attrit and jerry-rig it massively from whatever the regs say!
Old 09-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

The Div Cav suqadron?

DIVISIONAL CAVALRY SQUADRON
Headquarters Troop:
2 CFV or ACCV (command)
4 M577A1 (staff)
9 IFV or APC (NBC recon platoon)
2 Cavalry Troops, each:
1 M577A1
3 mortar carriers (mortar section)
19 CFV or ACCV
2 Air Cavalry Troops, each:
6 OH58
4 AH

Note: Equipment varied from squadron to squadron. In
general, squadrons with M3 CFVs used the M1 8 mortar carrier
and the AH-64 attack helicopter. Squadrons with M113A3
ACCVs used the M106 mortar carrier and the AH-1 attack
helicopter. Squadrons equipped with the LAV-25 used the M106
mortar carrier and did not have attack helicopters, as these
squadrons consisted of three cavalry troops and no air cavalry
troop.

From the US army Vehicle Guide. GDW504

Real world would of course be different.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:45 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Not quite a TO&E, but it has some usable material and some doctrinal stuff to consider:

Reconsidering Division Cavalry Squadrons (Maj. Nathan A. Jennings, 2017)

GlobalSecurity.org is highly variable in quality, but it had this to say about 1-113 Cav (an IA NG component of the 34th ID):

Quote:
After years of reorganizations, inactivations and reactivations, the 1st Squadron, 113th Cavalry was reactivated on 11 September 1992 at ceremonies at Camp Dodge, Iowa as the divisional cavalry squadron for the 34th Infantry Division. In that capacity, the mission of 1-113th Cavalry was to provide the 34th Infantry Division commander with a mobile, compact fighting force, capable of performing reconnaissance to provide timely information on the location and development of the enemy to his front, flank or rear. The Squadron was also capable of conducting limited attacks to exploit enemy weaknesses on the battlefield.

Initially, the Squadron was organized with 2 ground and 2 aviation troops. On 1 September 1996 an additional ground troop was activated, becoming C Troop, and an aviation maintenance troop was also activated (F Troop). Each of the ground troops contained 9 IPM1 tanks, 6 M113 armored personnel carriers, 6 M901 Improved TOW Vehicles (ITV), and 2 M106 mortar carriers, in addition to other equipment. Each of the aerial troops had 8 AH-1F Cobra attack helicopters at their core to help them accomplish their mission.
- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 09-04-2021, 06:13 AM

As per FM 3-20.971 (2001, I think), the reconnaissance troops of armored and mechanized infantry brigades (recce troop) consisted of six officers and 84 enlisted soldiers. It was organized into a headquarters section, a mortar section, and three scout platoons.

Headquarters section fielded a troop command post and a fire support team (FIST), soon to ride in a Stryker. The recce platoon’s primary missions were reconnaissance/surveillance and execution of security missions. As such, they were organized and equipped to conduct reconnaissance and screening in support of the troop itself. Each platoon consisted of one officer and 20 enlisted personnel organized into four squads, to one of which the officer attached themselves. Each squad rode in a Stryker (or was to ride in the near future).

The mortar section consisted of ten soldiers, riding in two self-propelled mortars (again: Stryker-based) and a supply vehicle (truck).

The brigade reconnaissance troops were different beasts, riding exclusively soft-skinned vehicles: HMMWVs and larger trucks. One HQ section and two platoons of six soldiers (split into two sections of three soldiers each).

There were smaller scout platoons in the brigades and other recce forces, too, but the two above were the largest structures 20 years ago.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:51 PM

I've never understood the need for headquarters units at every level. Do you really need an HQ section at company, battalion, and division levels? Couldn't you eliminate them at a certain point, so you'd have to have less equipment dedicated that could go to fill out the maneuver sections? Likewise staff positions at multiple levels.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:13 AM

Don't know if this is any help?

https://man.fas.org/dod-101/army/unit/toe/
Old 09-05-2021, 07:17 AM

Circa 2000 figures for Brigade Recon Troop belonging to Heavy Division (Armored or Mechanized) – Armor or Infantry Brigade. Additional detail can be found on the FAS TOE site https://man.fas.org/dod-101/army/unit/toe/index.html
Personnel (OFF / WO / NCO / ENL / Total): (4 / 0 / 15 / 30 / 49)
13 Armored HMMWV
2 Cargo HMMWV
1 HMMWV Shelter
1 HMMWV LMTV

HQ Section
1 Armored HMMWV w/ VRC-92A (CDR)
1 Cargo HMMWV w/ VRC-89A (XO)
1 Cargo HMMWV w/ VRC-92A (1SG)
Rigid Shell w/ VRC-89A & 90A (OPNS)
1 HMMWV LMTV (SUPPLY)

Platoon HQ Section (2)
1 Armored HMMWV w/VRC091A (PLT LDR)
1 Armored HMMWV w/VRC091A (PLT SGT)

Scout Section (4)
2 Armored HMMWV w/VRC-91A (Scout)
Old 09-05-2021, 05:03 PM

Thanks all -- that'll do it!

Good to see some options here for cav as well since they may soon feature in my campaign.

3catcircus - I'm not sure I understand the question. I mean, every unit needs a commander, and a staff to support that commander, and the equipment to allow them to (a) travel with the unit, (b) communicate with the unit and higher, (c) augment the firepower of the unit by whatever other means, and (d) supply that unit. I'm not sure how else it could possibly be done. Centralized command has been tried, even in the US Army, and it generally does not work.