RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 11-30-2020, 05:50 PM

Default Morrow Project Convention Thoughts

Been thinking about this while running a machine at work. So just take this with a big grain of salt.

We seem to have between a half dozen and less than a dozen of us who still seem very into this game. Myself I started at a Michicon decades ago just after the guys were done playtesting it. We played a scenario then had a Q&A session. After we were given the opportunity to pre buy a pre-production version of the game. It would also include a discount coupon for the good copy of the game when it was published. That is how I ended up with #50. I used the coupon but asked for its return, just mark it used I asked, so I have that as well. That is all I bought as I played as a player not project master for about 20 years.

So what I am proposing is either next year or 2022 we have a get together. Probably somewhere central so as many of us as possible can attend. Based on our profiles we seem scattered over North America with a few off shore. My concept is we could have a three day "mini con" playing a scenario each day big enough for all of us to participate in each game. Thinking about it as I write perhaps half of us could participate in each scenario which would allow us to maybe drop to two days and four events.

In any case I never ran a game but was a player. I have my own ideas on potential scenarios which would run a day in length. I picked that as if I was to run a campaign of TMP I would rather run a couple to few times a year but a whole day long scenario. Each would be totally stand alone so there would be no hanging events or issues for the players to fret over. It would wrap that day.

Back to a potential con ideas. My suggestion is anyone who wants to run a scenario do a write up with a general outline. Post it somewhere here and everyone WHO INTENDS TO ATTEND votes on which scenarios (one per day per player) they want to attend. someone, me I guess, works up a chart and tries to arrange events and players to, hopefully, allow the most gaming. I assume not everyone who wants to run an event will be able to. Either not enough players or poor interest. I also think it would be cool if your "scenario" is a little off the normally beaten path you have the opportunity to present how and why. For those of you who bothered to follow any of my posts in the past I am very much 1st edition. It is all I have known or bothered with. That and I feel in the post apoc world trade and the ability to acquire goods from away (rare elements needed for high quality steels or optic fo instance) would be non existent. Other than some specific hoards of tech North America is basically back in the 19th century.

Other possibilities are you DO wake up 6 months after teotwawki just like the brochure from Morrow Industries said. Some may want to have their scenario start with the initial wake up at the bolt hole. Personally I feel we have the background knowledge our scenarios should happen well after then, but...

So just putting it out there. Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2020, 01:28 AM
Registered Registrant

Love the idea but all I can do is offer my support. Being on the other side of the world would make this a rather expensive weekend for me now that I'm only working part time
Old 12-01-2020, 10:18 AM

StainlessSteelCynic, for people like you maybe there could be a virtual game using Discord and Twitch that you and others that cannot easily travel could be in. The only problem would be the time of day. There is an 11 hour time difference between you and me.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:50 PM

Default up for it

I to am up for a con, even a mini con within a con. Something like to hold costs down since I'm retired with limited income. Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin798 View Post
StainlessSteelCynic, for people like you maybe there could be a virtual game using Discord and Twitch that you and others that cannot easily travel could be in. The only problem would be the time of day. There is an 11 hour time difference between you and me.
Yes indeed, the time zone difference is a pretty big hurdle to overcome.
My time zone typically puts me 10 to 12 hours ahead of people in North America so your afternoon is too damned early in my morning haha!

I tried something similar many, many years ago when one of the Dark Conspiracy fan groups was doing chats over the net on Sundays. The session time was typically about 2 o'clock on Monday morning local time for me. I was working full time back then so needless to say, I didn't attend any of those chats.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Love the idea but all I can do is offer my support. Being on the other side of the world would make this a rather expensive weekend for me now that I'm only working part time
So Hawaii would be "half way" but then Rob might not be able to attend. Maybe a couple conventions!
Old 12-02-2020, 04:31 AM

Seriously I was thinking if someone "local" to halfway could find a reasonable hotel with a couple small "event rooms" we could rent for the day or two that would work. Doesn't have to be the Hilton but something better than the fleabag special.