RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2010, 05:13 PM

Default Soviet AF question

Actually two questions.

First, does the SAF use categories like the Army does? Like Cat A units flying te Mig29, while a C unit would have the Mig23.

Second, what do you see as the raw number of airframes for the SAF and PRCAF at the start of there war?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Grimace Send a message via AIM to Grimace Send a message via Yahoo to Grimace

Based on the information I have:

Soviet combat jet airframes(includes bombers) = 2498
Soviet recon airframes = 160
Soviet helicoptor airframes = 3560
Soviet transport airframes = 1339
Soviet trainer airframes = 2000

Soviet naval airframes = 900 combat aircraft and 200 helicopters

Needless to say...a buttload!
Old 07-02-2010, 02:08 AM
The Stat Guy

How many of these are sitting there rotting in fields? Aircraft deteriorate faster than almost any other sort of military equipment.

EDIT: Changed "Airframes" for "Aircraft," as per Jester's correction in his post.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 07-02-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:51 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Paul,

The airframes themselves do not deterorate, but the other aspects of the craft do. The fuel lines go bad, the electronics, wires, electrical components, and where one metal meets another type do corrode. They would take a good rebuilding.

I am reminded of Korea where they went to the fighter aircraft <P-51s> that had been mothballed at the end of WWII, they weren't done right. And they had to be redone for the most part. The airframes were good to go, and of course the bodies, but most other systems had to be replaced.

So, the question needs to be asked,

How long to bring those aircraft online? I would say with an all out effort, with enough personel who are trained in those craft with enough parts on hand, it would take a year.

I base this on an episode of the discovery channel where they rebuild a M1, and it took them just under a year to redo and repair a battle damamged M1 tank, being that an aircraft is a bit more complex it would take a bit longer. Of course with the war footing, things could be a bit faster paced, but coupled with the volume of planes to bring online the time line stands. After all, would any nations war effort detract from the new assemblyline of current war materiel to refit old equipment. And then of course where would battle damaged equipment fit in? Would they not recover damaged vehicles to be reworked and rebuilt to be returned to the war effort?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antimedic View Post
Actually two questions.
First, does the SAF use categories like the Army does? Like Cat A units flying te Mig29, while a C unit would have the Mig23.
Don't forget there are 2 Soviet air forces: Frontal Aviation and Home Defence (PVO Strany). I can't recall right away if there were bombers in the Strategic Rocket Forces, but I don't think so. I don't know if there were pre-war cadre-only or CatC air units, but it might make sense.

Then again, aren't (weren't) Soviet officers (pilots included) essentially career officers? What would ex-fighter pilots do in the USSR? They can't all go to work for Aeroflot.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Activist Rules Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antimedic View Post
Actually two questions.

Second, what do you see as the raw number of airframes for the SAF and PRCAF at the start of there war?

I'm nost sure of the categories, but you can check globalsecurity.org regarding numbers.

USSR/Russia

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...a/av-equip.htm

PLAAF
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...laaf-equip.htm
Old 07-06-2010, 05:46 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
Don't forget there are 2 Soviet air forces: Frontal Aviation and Home Defence (PVO Strany). I can't recall right away if there were bombers in the Strategic Rocket Forces, but I don't think so. I don't know if there were pre-war cadre-only or CatC air units, but it might make sense.

Then again, aren't (weren't) Soviet officers (pilots included) essentially career officers? What would ex-fighter pilots do in the USSR? They can't all go to work for Aeroflot.

At one Aeroflot was the Civilian arm of the Soviet Air Force. Which is part of the reason why all airlift/cargo aircraft were the military versions. Aeroflot even had large number of Soviet helicopters with airlift capabilities. Of course this was under the old Soviet Union regime.