RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 06-12-2011, 06:47 AM

Default Chemical warfare

Latest file covering chemical warfare.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Chemical weapons 29-5-11.pdf (410.0 KB, 277 views)
Old 06-12-2011, 07:34 AM

Excellent work! I always look forward to your posts.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:18 AM

This is excellent. I like the MOP suits fatigue rule because it's nice and easy (I had a whole bunch of crap rules, this is nice because it ties back into a core game mechanic).

One question, a gas mask works for 24hrs. Is that continuous use or once "opened"?

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonpoi View Post
This is excellent. I like the MOP suits fatigue rule because it's nice and easy (I had a whole bunch of crap rules, this is nice because it ties back into a core game mechanic).

One question, a gas mask works for 24hrs. Is that continuous use or once "opened"?

Thanks.
Don't put your rules down, it's not the first draft of mine...

I believe the filters last 24 hours of use - less against certain agents. Can any CBRN expert help here?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:15 PM

Depends on the chemical agent used.

The M17A1 filters were rated for up to 24 hours in a contaiminated area with nerve gas. Blood agents rapidly eroded the filters, they were supposed to be good for no more than 4 hours and were to be replaced as soon as possible after exposure to a blood agent.

The general rule of thumb was to get out of the contaiminated area as soon as possible and regardless of agent used, replace the filters.

Tankers would carry an ALICE rucksack loaded with two spare MOPP suits, a spare pair of rubber gloves and booties and three spare sets of filters.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
Depends on the chemical agent used.

The M17A1 filters were rated for up to 24 hours in a contaiminated area with nerve gas. Blood agents rapidly eroded the filters, they were supposed to be good for no more than 4 hours and were to be replaced as soon as possible after exposure to a blood agent.

The general rule of thumb was to get out of the contaiminated area as soon as possible and regardless of agent used, replace the filters.

Tankers would carry an ALICE rucksack loaded with two spare MOPP suits, a spare pair of rubber gloves and booties and three spare sets of filters.
Thanks, I'll change the text for the next for the next version to make it clearer.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
Don't put your rules down, it's not the first draft of mine...

I believe the filters last 24 hours of use - less against certain agents. Can any CBRN expert help here?
True enough I suppose .

Again thanks for the rules, I like them and I'm getting ready to implement some chemical warefare into my bag of nastiness.

24h life as a simple guidline is good enough for me.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Slightly expanded (with more quotes and a bit more history). I've also clarified the life of filters as above.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Chemical weapons 7-7-11.pdf (257.0 KB, 214 views)
Old 06-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Flipping through the old journal...

If you get hit with nerve agent, the antidote is atropine...and you have two minutes to apply the antidote to atropine, the 2PamChloride injector.

There is no antidote for blood agents...the running joke was the cure for a blood agent is the M-1911A1.

The sad thing is that if the Soviets had ever made the decision to go, their pre-war plans called for chemical strikes from the very beginning, ranging from persistant nerve gas on the REFORGER equipment stockpiles and airfields to the use of non-persistant nerve gas and blood agents on the frontline troops and along the autobahns and choke points. Along with the occasional tactical nuke on Pershing, Lance and land-based cruise missile sites.

I'm afraid that if World War Three had kicked off, there wouldn't have been any "controlled" use of nukes. It would have been tactical exchanges rapidly escalating to a strategic exchange.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:42 PM

And here is the Mission Oriented Protective Posture (MOPP) as used by the US military.

MOPP Level Zero: The protective mask, chemical protective helmet cover, skin decon kit and detector papers are carried in the mask carrier. The overgarment, overboots, and gloves are stowed nearby.

MOPP Level One: The overgarment is worn. M-9 detector paper is attached to the overgarment.

MOPP Level Two: The overboots are worn.

MOPP Level Three: The protective mask and chemical protective helmet cover are worn.

MOPP Level Four: The rubber gloves and cotton liners are worn.

MOPP Level Five: Not an offical level, but was often seen added to the training flyer next to the NBC room. MOPP Level Five is the famous Bend Over and Kiss Your Arse Goodbye Level.