RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 05-27-2009, 05:51 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Default OT - Regarding North-Korea

Firstly this is NOT a political debate.

Anyway...I was wondering if anyone has info regarding what kind of nukes this country has?

Range,yield,how many etc....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_K...ss_destruction
Old 05-27-2009, 06:02 AM

Default My 2 bits

I think North Koreas nuclear capacity is as follows

number of warheads : 0
( but could possibly make 1 evey 6-12 months )

yield : 20- 40 kt ( twice or trippel Hiroshima bombs)

range : 0 meter
(their bombs are all built in place )
Old 05-27-2009, 06:14 AM

I dont know about the nukes, I read this story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/8069457.stm

which in short shows that they have and are testing long range rockets presumably to deploy the warheads. Rather worrying I think.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:26 AM

Default warheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caradhras
I dont know about the nukes, I read this story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/8069457.stm

which in short shows that they have and are testing long range rockets presumably to deploy the warheads. Rather worrying I think.

North Korea is not capable of deploying a nuclear warhead via missile -ther are no warheads !

They are ,however , capable of creating a nuclear chain reaction and setting of a bomb for testing .These are not weapon grade munitions though .

Quite possibly there will be a North Korean Nuclear missile in the near future .

There are missiles today , but no nukes that could be used with them .
Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

If and when they have bomb transportable it will not be done as we think about, via missile or bomber. Think low tech, what they are doing now is posturing. The only reason they have been testing missile is to take focus of how else such a bomb could be transported to it target.

It kinda like Soviet Union to build hundreds of military airstrips, hangers, and the Anti-Aircraft measures and missile silos for their Air Force and Startegic Rocket forces. In many the aircraft at the airfields were just frames that would be moved from time to time, while the real aircraft were moved from base to base, and the operational aircraft were used for that too. It was all show them game they played, and the type of game they have always been good at.

What is scarier is China and Russia are allowing their client State to do such posturing. Then again great cover. Oh well.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:54 AM

If it wasn't for the likely deaths of huge numbers of civilians I would welcome some sort of military end game to the existance of North Korea as an independent state. Their leadership hasn't made a whole lot of sense during my whole lifetime. Much as I hate to say it a small part of me would like to see those idiots do something rash and bring destruction down upon themselves. Germany got to be one Germany again. It is way past time that Korea had the same happen to it.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Currently I feel the DPRK may have enough fuel for 3 fission devices. None of these devices would be deployable via missile of aircraft. The only way they could be used militarily now is in conjunction with a massive assault across the DMZ into Seoul and Inchon and by moving the bombs into those cities by truck. This would give the DPRK leadership millions of instantly incineratable hostages in such a situation.

However I do not feel that is the goal of these tests. The goal IMO is International sale of missile and nuclear technology.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:42 PM

No they are advertising for someone to sell stuff to them.

No they probably looking to make something small enough to smuggle into South Korea, and Seoul is the likely target. Pusan, Inchon, and the main base for US Forces would be the short list of other potential targets.

They do say a lot against the US, but remember North goal is similar to the South. Reunification. They see the South as their savior, they do remember how easily they had done so in 1950. When ever they go back on the offensive, they know they have to give a knock out blow quickly, and they have to do so with as little destruction to the South as possible.

I don't think if they did restart the war, they would find much help from China or Russia, but neither will actively help reel them back to the DMZ either. Then again I don't see either letting the North Collapse either.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited by Abbott Shaull; 05-27-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

I have many friends in South Korea and while I am constantly assessing the threat form the north, I do not believe even they feel Reunification by force is possible. Everything now is about the DPRK's survival. They want either political negotiating chips or hard currency from anyone who can provide it to them.

IMO the DPRK knows without immense support from Russia or China that reunification is impossible. If China shuts down its rail lines into North Korea the nation's industry (what little there is) will grind to a halt in a few days.

China has begun direct trading with South Korea. Huge numbers of Chinese tourists travel to South Korea (even outnumbering the Japanese). Mid and long term China sees the ROK as a more valuable partner. IMO The only reason they don't completely undercut the North Koreans is that they do not want reunification to come at the ROK's terms, as well as not wanting a true East Asian democracy sharing a long border with them. The millions of Refugees China would be flooded with if the DPRK collapsed is also a concern for them.

I had really hoped that Kim's middle son who was European educated and reportedly a HUGE Eric Clapton fan would become the next "Great Leader". His seemingly laid back personality might have led to reunification coming peacefully. Unfortunately it looks like the third son (who by most accounts is a nut like his father) is being groomed to take over. Still when Kim's death happens anything can happen.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:45 PM

Either way China or Russia do not want another nation they can no longer control. Also the lack of help from these two neighbors and seeing China becoming a trade partner with the South. Well let's just say we have all known of friend who had gf or bf, who just didn't get it when they were dumped, and went nuts when the friend went out with the ex-best friend.

The North from there standpoint have their back to the wall. They know Russia and China will not let them be wiped out. Not only that North Korea knows if they do start something, there will be very limited help for the South.

Tags
korea, nuclear weapons