Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 02-21-2021, 10:29 PM

Default The Pacific Northwest

Look what’s just been released 😊
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/347769
Old 02-21-2021, 11:31 PM
Registered Registrant

Interesting!
Anybody have any idea who the author is? Do we know the author?
Old 02-21-2021, 11:57 PM

It was written by Clayton Oliver
Old 02-22-2021, 02:11 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
It was written by Clayton Oliver
OH! AKA Tegyrius
Nice to see there's still material being provided for 2nd/2.2 and particularly be people who are members of this forum
Old 02-22-2021, 03:09 AM
Registered Registrant

Okay, so I bought it a few minutes ago and I'll say this...

You want to send your Players to adventure in the northwest of North America, then this book should be a central part of your game plan.
And there's information in it that would prove useful for any other region that has snowbound winters along with a barrel-load of vehicles suitable for the Pacific Northwest and some new equipment suitable for any snowy region along with tables such as ice thickness of frozen water and what weight it can support
Old 02-22-2021, 04:46 AM

Now that I know who the author is, definitely will purchase.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:48 AM

I’m picking up my copy after I finished work, didn’t want any distractions.
It was a nice surprise to see it’s release this morning and hopefully means more is in the pipeline.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:08 AM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Thank you for your support, gentlemen. I've been working on this one for about three years (not continuously, obviously) and it's very gratifying to see it released finally.

@Ewan - Speaking only for myself, I don't have anything else in the pipeline at the moment. As indicated in the developer's notes for PacNW, this started as an adventure module rather than a regional sourcebook, and I still have that idea in the back of my head, but non-T2k and non-gaming projects are taking precedence right now. I'll wait and see what the community's reaction to this project is once people have had a chance to dig into it.

@SSC - Most of the material in the Adventuring in... chapter should be usable for any appropriate setting, not just the PacNW. I try to design multitools.

@Targan - I appreciate the faith!

Edited to add: As people pick this up and begin reading through it, please PM me if you find any typos or layout issues. I added a non-trivial amount of "one more thing..." material after my copyeditors had completed their passes, so there's a non-zero chance I inserted errors that they never had the chance to catch.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson

Last edited by Tegyrius; 03-04-2021 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:36 AM

Fantastic! I'll be picking this up.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Default Outstanding Product

Awesome work, Tegyrius. Really well done.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 02-22-2021, 08:58 AM
Banned

Have to definitely get it - sounds like its going to be a great read and a real asset for those doing campaigns in the area. Always love seeing new material added.

Hope Marc adds it as official canon and while he is at it adds what Raellus has done as well.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:48 AM

Well done, am reading now. Good read overall and I am impressed. Will be posting a Module Suitability Post on 500 Miles for the wargamers out there very soon...ah, broken-backed warfare in a post-nuclear age...has my paintbrush salivating.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 02-22-2021, 03:58 PM
Banned

Wish I had known it was coming out - would have advertised it in the 3rd issue of the fanzine - will definitely have a nice ad for it in the 4th issue
Old 02-22-2021, 05:15 PM

When I saw that cover come up on my notifications be advised you made Ancestor feel like he was 14 again! Thank you!
Old 02-22-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Awesome work, Tegyrius. Really well done.

-
With all due respect to Raellus, this is the understatement of century. The more I read, the more I'm blown away. This is amazing, thank you, Tegyrius!
Old 02-22-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor View Post
When I saw that cover come up on my notifications be advised you made Ancestor feel like he was 14 again! Thank you!
Mission accomplished, then.

(Not gonna lie, I fought with the layout for about a month to get the look and feel as close to the v1 modules as possible. I'm a writer, not a graphic designer, but I really wanted the design to say "Twilight 2000." The hardest part was getting the fonts right. They aren't perfect but they're close enough that I can live with them.)

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 02-22-2021, 06:30 PM
Registered Registrant

It's well worth the purchase and I hope it does really, really well so that people can see that there's still good material being written for the earlier editions and there's still lots of life left in the earlier editions.
I know that my discussions about it on another site, encouraged a few people to consider buying it so "word of mouth" is definitely working in its favour (and as they say, a good product sells itself).
Old 02-22-2021, 07:01 PM

I appreciate the boost, SSC. It looks like it's moved a bit over 90 copies so far today, so it's off to a good start, and earning Marc some beer money.

- C.

- Josh Olson
Old 02-22-2021, 07:55 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
I appreciate the boost, SSC. It looks like it's moved a bit over 90 copies so far today, so it's off to a good start, and earning Marc some beer money.

- C.
Well as much as I can appreciate Marc for his efforts to keep the GDW games available, I hope it actually earns you some beer money!
Old 02-22-2021, 08:11 PM
Banned

And that is four now - East Africa/Kenya Sourcebook, Rooks Gambit, Korean Sourcebook and now the Pacific Northwest - plus two new fanzine issues - lets keep this going and keep getting out quality releases for the V1 and V2.2 versions of the game
Old 02-23-2021, 03:35 AM

Teg, you've done a fantastic job here - it really is packed with awesomeness.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:33 PM

@Jason - thanks for the plug on your blog, and I look forward to the wargaming suitability analysis. While I didn't specifically design New America Idaho for that purpose, I think their force mix would be an interesting challenge for a lightly-equipped (i.e., PC) group.

Your criticism of the lack of maps is valid and expected. I am no cartographer, and in the absence of free maps, I suspect that hiring an artist for that purpose would have cost me more than I stand to make on this product. I used Google Maps and Google Earth rather extensively to try to make the geography make sense, but those aren't period-accurate. On the other hand, anyone who has access to DriveThruRPG for a PDF purchase should have access to those same tools... but I do still feel the lack of cartography in the finished product.

I did recently buy World in Conflict via GOG but I haven't played it yet and wasn't aware of the Washington campaign until you highlighted it. I'm now rather interested to see how that plays out! The Battle of Seattle as depicted in the sourcebook was spun out of a throwaway line in the 104th Infantry Division's original writeup in the U.S. Army Vehicle Guide/Howling Wilderness:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDW
The division was formed at Vancouver, Washington on 20 July 1998 by redesignation of 104th Training Division (US Army Reserve). Upon activation, the division came under command of 8th Corps and on 2 August 1998 entered combat against Soviet forces attacking the Fort Lawton area from the north. By late August, the situation was stabilized and the division was withdrawn from the front line to take over internal security duties in the Montana-Idaho region.
That gave me a definite minimum depth for the Soviet advance into CONUS, so I had to figure out how it happened. Really, most of the module is the result me trying to expand and rationalize one-line details from Howling Wilderness... sometimes obsessively.

(I myself am not a fan of ORBATs but I know a large portion of the audience here appreciates them. Rationalizing the 47th ID's real-world history against the fiction's mid-'80s point of departure was something of a challenge, one relieved by frequent creative profanity. But apparently at least one dude on Facebook really appreciated it as a former IL Guardsman in 1-123 Infantry, so I'm glad I brought him some joy.)

- C.

- Josh Olson
Old 02-24-2021, 03:15 AM

This is really interesting and good. Now that I am reading it. It sets up some good ideas of adventuring in the region.

However, if I might offer up some constructive criticism if you decide to do a revised edition of this book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDW
The refineries and the aerospace industry of
Washington were destroyed in the nuclear exchange.
This is from the Washington page of Howling Wilderness, page 46. That means Boeing Field, Paine Field, and the city of Renton all took nuclear strikes during the nuclear attacks after 1997. This makes sense considering that Boeing Field was where there is a factory for large heavy military aircraft (such as the B-52s and rework of aircraft like the KC-135s and E-3s). There is also a major factory in the Renton Area for Boeing commercial and military aircraft in the 1990s. In addition there is Everett that has a major factory for commercial aircraft. So assuming that each of those received an air burst of between 500 to 800kt. That means most of Seattle proper and southern Seattle region would be devastated just by the nuke strikes alone.

Also, just wanted to show with the attachments what and where the refineries were as well as what direct hits were to be if Everett, South Seattle and Renton took 500kt hits.

Still some really good stuff in the book and if I might add for those looking to use it, I know that for most of the islands in the region such as Whidbey, San Juan, Orcas, Vashon, Bainbridge; if the bridges are blown, then there are only selected beaches to land on and most of them only have trails to hike up. So it would be hard to get places unless you are using a ferry and the various ferry docks in the region.

Speaking of ferries; here is a link to the state ferry system's listing of ferries (as of 2020) but assume that similar style ships are in active service in the late 1990s. I will say that going to Whidbey's Coupeville and Port Townsend were a pair of ferries that were built as late as the 1920s that were only just replaced about a decade ago. So there are some other vehicles that could be potential sources of adventuring in the region.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2021, 05:35 AM

Thank you for the input, Southernap. While I probably will issue an update for errata in a few months if there is need, I do not plan to make large-scale revisions. I have other projects in the queue, both personal and paying, and after spending three years on this manuscript, it's past time for me to move on to other work.

With regards to the nuclear targets, one of my design objectives was to align as closely as possible with canon. That includes the nuclear target list in Howling Wilderness. In the case of the aerospace facilities, my thinking is that destruction via direct strikes was unnecessary given sufficient EMP.

I did stretch canon with the ADM deployment against the naval facilities, as well as the near-miss on Tacoma's waterfront. In both cases, though, as well as the partial survival of the regional aerospace industry, my intent was to generate partial destruction rather than total devastation. Partial destruction means a chance of partial recovery, which is a reason for Milgov to continue investing in Seattle. If the only value of the Pacific Northwest is food production, the 47th ID's focus should be east of the Cascades, not along the coast. As it is, Seattle and its industrial remnants are a resource sink for the Joint Chiefs, a tantalizing opportunity for recovery into which they will continue throwing coin. The struggle for that while dealing with multiple hostile factions will continue generating conflicts of the sort in which PCs can involve themselves. In other words - stories for us to tell.

ETA: Apologies; I neglected your point on island access in my focus on the broader "blow up Seattle" issue. That is excellent local color/detail, and I'll keep it in mind for a (brief) mention during the errata process if the layout can accommodate any more words there.

- C.

- Josh Olson

Last edited by Tegyrius; 02-24-2021 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:08 AM
Banned

Just a question - what size ADM's did the Soviets use and what yield? ADM's can vary in yield from .5 kilotons to 15 kilotons - given that you said they used several I am assuming they were small devices and at the lower end of the yield.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
(I myself am not a fan of ORBATs but I know a large portion of the audience here appreciates them. Rationalizing the 47th ID's real-world history against the fiction's mid-'80s point of departure was something of a challenge, one relieved by frequent creative profanity. But apparently at least one dude on Facebook really appreciated it as a former IL Guardsman in 1-123 Infantry, so I'm glad I brought him some joy.)
- C.
I served as an Military Police in Schweinfurt, Germany from 82-85 then Fort Myer, VA from 85-87. When I got out I went home and was with the 1/123rd in HQ's woring in Operations in Bloomington/Normal, IL Home of Twilight 2000 and Game Designer's Workshop..
Old 02-24-2021, 08:08 PM

Welcome to the forum! I hope you're content with where they wound up in this work.

(I'm sure I'll get hate mail from a couple of guys who served in the real-world units whose fictional counterparts followed the Proconsul... but I had to pick someone to buy into his vision.)

- C.

- Josh Olson
Old 02-24-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the input, Southernap. [Snip]

With regards to the nuclear targets, one of my design objectives was to align as closely as possible with canon. That includes the nuclear target list in Howling Wilderness. In the case of the aerospace facilities, my thinking is that destruction via direct strikes was unnecessary given sufficient EMP.

[More snipping]

ETA: Apologies; I neglected your point on island access in my focus on the broader "blow up Seattle" issue. That is excellent local color/detail, and I'll keep it in mind for a (brief) mention during the errata process if the layout can accommodate any more words there.

- C.
Not a problem with the local color detail update.

Also, you explanation makes sense and I didn't really think about it that way since with the EMP hits from the strikes in the region that some of the factories would have been damaged beyond usefulness.

Still an awesome add and a good place to segue into regions beyond what the official modules have describe. Hopefully, we can start to round out the gaps in Howling Wilderness with books like yours.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:54 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Just a question - what size ADM's did the Soviets use and what yield? ADM's can vary in yield from .5 kilotons to 15 kilotons - given that you said they used several I am assuming they were small devices and at the lower end of the yield.
There isn't much out there. The most info I could find that isn't sensationalist generalizations is in Russian here and here. You'll have to machine translate it if you, like me, don't read Russian but the summary is that the older models weighed about 25kg and had a .2-1 kt yield; the newer RA-115 weighed 30kg and had a yield of .5-2 kt and was made in a submersible version for Naval spetsnaz as well as a land variant.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 02-25-2021, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico20854 View Post
There isn't much out there. The most info I could find that isn't sensationalist generalizations is in Russian here and here. You'll have to machine translate it if you, like me, don't read Russian but the summary is that the older models weighed about 25kg and had a .2-1 kt yield; the newer RA-115 weighed 30kg and had a yield of .5-2 kt and was made in a submersible version for Naval spetsnaz as well as a land variant.
Now that is good information - the US ADM's have much bigger yields then - and if you are looking at as little as .2 kilotons then you could need several devices considering the size of the naval base - i.e. 200 tons of TNT is a lot but the Halifax Explosion its not

So basically the ADM's would be looking at an explosive force similar to the Beirut explosion most likely - which wrecked their port