RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2020, 01:00 PM

Default US Army 3/4 ton truck

Hey guys,

What was the 3/4 ton truck, of the type listed in the v1 rules, that a team could potentially start with? Surely it wasn't the 1953 model still in use in the 80s (which is what I presume a 1990s would be based on).

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:12 PM

I don't think it specifies. This is the description from the V1 equipment list.

3/4-ton truck: A civilian type 4x4 pickup truck used for military service. It can carry 3/4 ton of cargo or an equivalent load of passengers.
Price: $ 10,000 (S/S) TrMov: 180/35 Com Mov: 60/20 Fuel cap: 90 Fuel cons: 30 Fuel Type: G, A, AvG Load: 750 kg Veh Wt: 2 tons Mnt: 2 Crew: 2
Old 12-03-2020, 01:22 PM

Cool, thanks. I figured as much but I wanted to make sure. I would imagine that after 1997 but prior to 2000, MilGov would have scraped up a bunch more pure civilian models and sent them across with whatever trickle of resupply went to Europe, maybe daubing them in OD-Green first.

Heh, imagine living in the post-nuke deprivation and finally finding out that your mechanized infantry unit will be mechanized again for the coming offensive, and that you and your fire team will be riding in a luxury SUV
Old 12-03-2020, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Default Kaiser Jeep M715

Another possibility is the Kaiser Jeep M715.

According to Wikipedia, "In total, between 1951 and 1968, some 115,000 Dodge M37s were produced. From 1968 onwards, the U.S. military replaced them with the M-715 family of vehicles, which saw service in the Vietnam War. Although these were higher (1​1⁄4 or five-quarter ton) rated, they were militarized "commercial off-the-shelf" (or 'COTS') trucks – and the Kaiser Jeep M715s were considered underpowered and fragile, compared to the purpose-built Dodge M37 tactical trucks they were built to replace."

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 12-03-2020, 04:14 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

I'm partial to the interpretation that they're militarized Hiluxes. Which is to say, Hiluxes.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 12-03-2020, 04:54 PM
Spartan-117

CUCV! http://ftp.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m1009.php
Old 12-03-2020, 05:46 PM

We had both the Dodge 3/4-Ton M880 and M890 series as both a 4 X 4 pickup and the "blazer" body (or whatever Dodge called their SUV body) AND the Chevy M1028 4 X 4 single cab pickup for our supply and maintenance sections. I KNOW the Army also had crew-cab 4 X 4 trucks because they were running around all over Ft. Drum and Ft. Sill. These were basically 3/4-Ton commercial pickups with 24-volt electrical systems and blackout drives installed. Early models were gassers but after 1990 and the switch to "One Fuel Forward" by the Army, our Dodges were retired and we only had Chevys with the same diesel engines as the Hummers.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:44 PM

I believe it's just a generic vehicle with those approximate stats. Yes I suppose you could specify the exact brand and model, but given it's only a very light cargo carrier (and I doubt anyone's first choice of vehicle), why bother?
Same can be said for the "civilian car". Could be anything from the family sedan through to a Lamborghini, to a tiny compact with the roof cut off with a chainsaw.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 12-03-2020, 06:47 PM
Registered Registrant

With some of the 2ndEd. material, they did make other civilian vehicles available but again, they were generic - sedan, sportscar, limousine, van, recreational vehicle/motorhome
I suppose the authors felt that they were all similar enough that there was no real advantage going into great detail on a list of vehicles that all pretty much were alike and did the same thing.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:41 PM

Funny thing; I had a new player join up so I asked everyone if they wanted a re-roll on vehicles, they agreed since he bumped them up to the 3d6 check, and wouldn't you know, on the re-roll, they instead got a LAV-75
Old 12-03-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketenjagdpanzer View Post
....they instead got a LAV-75
Well that can be a problem - three man crew only with no passenger seats, limited cargo capacity and a ferocious fuel consumption compared to wheeled vehicles.
On the other hand it IS a LAV-75!

Mors ante pudorem
Old 12-03-2020, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Default Ask, and Ye Shall Receive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Same can be said for the "civilian car". Could be anything from the family sedan through to a Lamborghini, to a tiny compact with the roof cut off with a chainsaw.
Lamborghini, you say?

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...ooking-cheetah

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 12-03-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Lamborghini, you say?
Not QUITE what I had in mind, but ok!

Mors ante pudorem
Old 12-03-2020, 10:42 PM

A vehicle like the Mercedes-Benz Geländewagen is about right. Not a pickup, though.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:55 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketenjagdpanzer View Post
Hey guys,

What was the 3/4 ton truck, of the type listed in the v1 rules, that a team could potentially start with? Surely it wasn't the 1953 model still in use in the 80s (which is what I presume a 1990s would be based on).

Thanks in advance.
That was the more formal name of the old M151 (and earlier iterations), the Jeep. They replaced ours with HMMWVs when I was stationed at Ft Stewart during 1987-88, and after they were done, I never saw a Jeep again in the US Army. (The ROKs continued to use Jeeps until nearly 2000, and I don't know when all the Guard and Reserve's Jeeps were replaced.)

I have to embarrass myself here a bit. Growing up, we always hat auto transmission cars, and I grew up not knowing how to drive a standard. So, in the Guard, when they tried to get me driving a Jeep, I caused damage to two Jeep's transmissions that seriously deadlined them. And I was never allowed to drive a standard transmission vehicle in the Guard again. I didn't have the opportunity at Ft. Stewart, and never went to a unit that had standard-transmission vehicles after that. Never had a POV with standard transmission either.

OK, so I can't drive a standard! I'm 58 years old and can't drive a standard! And I'm too damn old to learn now!

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 12-04-2020 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Left out one word that made the whole sentence not make sense.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
That was the more formal name of the old M151 (and earlier iterations), the Jeep. They replaced ours with HMMWVs when I was stationed at Ft Stewart during 1987-88, and after they were done, I never saw a Jeep again in the US Army. (The ROKs continued to use Jeeps until nearly 2000, and I don't know when all the Guard and Reserve's Jeeps were replaced.)

I have to embarrass myself here a bit. Growing up, we always hat auto transmission cars, and I grew up not knowing how to drive a standard. So, in the Guard, when they tried to get me driving a Jeep, I caused damage to two Jeep's transmissions that seriously deadlined them. And I was never allowed to drive a standard transmission vehicle in the Guard again. I didn't have the opportunity at Ft. Stewart, and never went to a unit that had standard-transmission vehicles after that. Never had a POV with standard transmission either.

OK, so I can't drive a standard! I'm 58 years old and can't drive a standard! And I'm too damn old to learn now!
The M151 was the Truck, Utility, 1/4-ton, 4x4, M151, not a 3/4-ton truck.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:36 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespers War View Post
The M151 was the Truck, Utility, 1/4-ton, 4x4, M151, not a 3/4-ton truck.
Ahhh......I stand corrected -- on the nomenclature. The story, unfortunately, remains true.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 12-04-2020 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Incorrect punctuation
Old 12-04-2020, 05:59 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pansarskott View Post
A vehicle like the Mercedes-Benz Geländewagen is about right. Not a pickup, though.
Well... only if you grab a civilian version.
However if you get a military-spec version, you can get a pickup style!

Malaysian paratroopers in G-wagen during amphibious exercise, July 2006

1993 model G-wagen utility vehicle used by the Indian Army
Old 12-04-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
So....what you're telling us is you're not a real boy?

Mors ante pudorem
Old 12-11-2020, 03:07 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Quote:
<SNIP>

Get over there on the Group W bench.

NOW, Son!