RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2012, 01:45 AM

Default evolution of an armoured division

WW2 started in 1939 and ended in 1945, in that time the various militaries evolved and adapted to changing technology and strategy. The British armoured division alone changes 4 times during the war and the Germans went through numerous changes.

One thing that bugs me, a pet hate of mine, is the wayT2k presents (admittedly very good and rather detailed) TO&Es for combatants but they are rather fixed. he published material presents cold war TO&Es as they where back in the late 80's.

The Twilight war runs from late 1996 to mid 2000, in that time there would be some changes methinks. Does anyone else think on this or am I being too anal about it?

My players are remnants of a 7th armoured brigade battlegroup (we jiggled with canon to allow a British contingent to the clusterfornication that was the last NATO offensive) and we discussed this and came up with a few variations for the British.

One of the main variations was on tank squadrons. Rather than having 4 chally/chieften squadrons we reduced it to 3 squadrons with the fourth either disappearing or being replaced with a scimitar/scorpion squadron. The theory being that with attrition the CVR(t) vehicles would end up being less of a recce vehicle and be employed more and more as a light tank in combat roles.

Another variation was to remove the concept of battalion and regiment entirely towards the end of the twilight war. 7th armoured brigade became two battlegroups, with the situation being what it was the units lost their old regimental identities due to casualties and picking up reinforcements from wherever they could be found.

Each battlegroup roughly consisted of three mixed company commands consisting of a tank troop and two armoured infantry platoons. However two of the resulting six troops ended up being chieftens and one was a mixed force of scimitars/scorpions at the final offensive due to attrition.

Our group had allot of fun discussing a and creating the brigade, before we had the whole thing ripped apart in the final offensive.

Has anyone else thought along these lines?