RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 AM

Default Aircraft/Armor Surplus Storage

So I have been looking through alot of Chico's stuff and some other posts here to find we store 1000's of older vehicles. I knew we did it, just not to that numbers I found.

Where the hell do they store 409 AH-1F's or 1500 M551's?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
So I have been looking through alot of Chico's stuff and some other posts here to find we store 1000's of older vehicles. I knew we did it, just not to that numbers I found.

Where the hell do they store 409 AH-1F's or 1500 M551's?
Helos stored outside would have covers over engine inlets and spraylat everywhere else. Fuel and hydraulic fluid would be completely drained as well. Inside they'd still be drained of fuel and fluids but likely not covered in spraylat.

Vehicles would just be parked. There's 2000 M1 tanks stored thusly in California (new builds, too; I guess the Army decided it was cheaper to keep acquiring them than to terminate the contract, despite not having the personnel, TOE or missions for them...)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Ok so lets assume some of these newer vehicles would be sent overseas as replacements, I doubt they would WANT to sent 8000 M113's to mainline troops in Europe unless they HAD to. So where do you store them?

Any suggestions, real or storyline driven are welcome.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Ok so lets assume some of these newer vehicles would be sent overseas as replacements, I doubt they would WANT to sent 8000 M113's to mainline troops in Europe unless they HAD to. So where do you store them?

Well...any aircraft would be stored in hardened air shelters. Given that helos can be put on roller-wheels to move them in and out of storage, and an unarmed AH-1 series bird has a really narrow cross section, you could probably pack quite a few inside an HAS. So basically anywhere there was a surviving air shelter is where you could keep them. Otherwise, a warehouse, etc. would do.

Same goes for armored vehicles: a warehouse, etc. would suffice. Anywhere you could string concertina wire and set up defensive points, and be assured of little or no observation by enemy troops would do the trick for a "vehicle depot". I'm not sure what the weight considerations would be but a multi-storey parking garage might do: Bremen, for example, was missed in the nuclear strikes of '97 (and earlier) and may well have some civilian parking garages that would suffice for lighter armored vehicles. Don't know that I'd stick a bunch of Leo-IIIs on the top deck of one of those though...
Old 06-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

There are a few places you would store aircraft and AFV's

For Aircraft you have

Kingman Airport, Kingman, Arizona
Phoenix Goodyear Airport, Goodyear, Arizona
Pinal Airpark, Marana, Arizona
309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Tucson, Arizona
Southern California Logistics Airport, Victorville, California
Mojave Air & Space Port, California
Roswell International Air Center, Roswell, New Mexico contains the remains of several large passenger and cargo jets, including at least two Boeing 747s and five Boeing 707s.
Abilene Regional Airport in Abilene, Texas is home to many retired Saab 340 aircraft, primarily from American Eagle Airlines.
RAF Aircraft Storage Flight, RAF Shawbury
Alice Springs Airport in Alice Springs, Northern Territory is the first large-scale aircraft boneyard outside the United States.
Canadian Forces Detachment Mountain View - Houses older aircraft for the CAF

parting at the boneyard at KMEBLaurinburg-Maxton Airport in Maxton, North Carolina, home of various former Northwest Airlines aircraft being stripped for parts by Charlotte Aircraft Corporation

For Tanks or AFV you have

Sierra Army Depot, California;
Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois;
Watervliet Arsenal, New York;
Lima Army Tank Plant, Ohio;
Anniston Army Depot, Alabama;
Red River Army Depot, Texas

25 Canadian Forces Supply Depot, Montreal QC - Main War Stock pile for the CAF
Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM
The end is nigh!!!

The US army surplus one near Honey Lake is huge!

https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.17309...69086&t=h&z=13
Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 PM

Thats amazing! I would think thats close enough to MILGOV HQ to be somewhat controlled...
Old 06-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnwolf View Post
The US army surplus one near Honey Lake is huge!
That would be the Sierra Army Depot as stated above
Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Going by the v1.0 timeline, I imagine that a lot of older gear (M113s, for example) would be shipped to China. Newer stuff would go towards beefing up American reserve units in anticipation of a possible hot war with the Soviets; so increasing domestic storage capacity probably wouldn't be necessary.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 06-07-2013, 09:19 AM

Understood.

My thinking is an idea for another "Lima Incident" style encounter...

I hear rumors of a warehouse in Red River filled with M551 Sheridans and M2HB's. Lets go check it out...

But Id like to have a better understanding of how/where things like this were stored pre war so I can develop the back story some. I hate stories that just plop out of nowhere.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:09 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Rather than a storage facility, use a shipment of vehicles in transit. The train derailed due to a nuclear strike and, because of its remote location and the general chaos of the TDM, was never recovered. Somewhere out in the Rockies is a ravine full of armor and spare parts...

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson