RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 AM

Default House rule: Popping up from behind a wall.

The Twilight:2000 (v2.2) 5 seconds combat turn is long enough to allow a previously hidden character to pop up from behind cover, shot, and return to the initial protected position. How do you treat this case? I’m thinking about:

- Treat the character as being moving on trot, so his/her Strength must be halved.
- All the action is conducted in the same initiative step. ROF of the used weapon must be halved. Of course, no aimed shots allowed.
- Depending on the bulk of the weapon used, adjust the difficulty by:
o +1 Level for weapons with blk from 4 to 5. (assault rifles and automatic rifles)
o +2 Levels for weapons above blk 5. (sniper rifles and machineguns)
The popping up character would only be vulnerable to: an active danger zone created by automatic fire, an enemy character waiting for opportunity fire against the hidden character and enemy characters acting in the same initiative step.

Any feedback about the question? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:10 PM

As the character is only going to have a brief moment to spot a target(s), then aim their weapon, perhaps requiring an Observation roll would be a good idea also?
Apply modifiers to spot for range, movement, sounds (both in that turn and previously), allies calling target indications, and just about anything else you can think of.

As maximum ROF is very rarely fired (recoil modifiers make it prohibitive for most weapons), that's probably not going to be much of a factor. Hmm, thinking about it, instead of applying a restriction on number of shots, perhaps an increase of the weapons base recoil might be the way to go?

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 PM

I think your ideas are all pretty good Marc.

I dont know about halving strength though. It seems they are kneeling and/or going to be resting/leaning on a wall. So recoil might be less. But having said that, i think your just trying to incororate a penalty for "snap fireing". So i think either having to make an observation roll (quality of pass or fail determines how much of the situation they are able to take in) or reducing accuracy (even if its a nominal -1 (5%)) would be all you need. I wouldnt do both though, too many rolls, too high chance of failure ... its not an impossible task we're talking about.

But apart from that, it sounds fair and reasonable.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdusk View Post
But having said that, i think your just trying to incororate a penalty for "snap fireing". So i think either having to make an observation roll (quality of pass or fail determines how much of the situation they are able to take in) or reducing accuracy (even if its a nominal -1 (5%)) would be all you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
As the character is only going to have a brief moment to spot a target(s), then aim their weapon, perhaps requiring an Observation roll would be a good idea also??
Mmmmmm...yes, I would say that and Observation roll seems in order , specially if the possible targets were not previously spotted and if they are stationary and/or in a covered position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
As maximum ROF is very rarely fired (recoil modifiers make it prohibitive for most weapons), that's probably not going to be much of a factor. Hmm, thinking about it, instead of applying a restriction on number of shots, perhaps an increase of the weapons base recoil might be the way to go?
As I would reduce the effective Strenght by half, because of the quick movement to emerge out of cover, both the effective skill and the tolerance to recoil will be reduced. So, I think there's no need to increase the base recoil. But about the ROF, I think you are right. Probably with the recoil effect and the reduced Strenght, there will be no need for a ROF reduction.

Mmmmm...Multi-quote tested

Tags
rules