RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2014, 07:39 AM

Default OT: Port Question

So looking at Google Earth, I zoom in to alot of Russian/European ports and see alot of ships tied up ass end in rather then long ways along the dock.

Why?

Sevastopol for example.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:56 AM

On a purely practical level they take up less space against the dock.

I'm in my office right now and am about thirty feet away from one of Aberdeen's harbour's quays. There are four offshore support vessels tied up alongside right now, all backed in (or ass end if you prefer). There's space for two more, so that piece of quay can accommodate six vessels.

If they were tied up alonsgide long ways the same space would accommodate at most two (and I'm not even sure about that - might just be one).

I imagine it's also substantially easier for them to come and go. When they're ready to leave all they have to do is go directly forward (not sure what the technical maritime term is) to get into the open water. When they come in they effectively reverse in, so no tugs or other forms of assistance required.

Last edited by Rainbow Six; 03-05-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 AM

Thats what I figured, I was just wondering why I NEVER see that in the US on Google Earth/Maps.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
Thats what I figured, I was just wondering why I NEVER see that in the US on Google Earth/Maps.

Thanks!
My guess and that is all it is (wag) is that by being side to the dock you can load and unload quicker but take up more space, as the US Navy is not worried about the space so much they do it that way.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:00 PM

It might have to do also with how much room there is in a harbor. A River Port like Philadelphia cannot accommodate ships jutting out into the river without blocking traffic. In the US there are probably safety issues in mind for firefighting and quick loading. A ship alongside a dock is easier to unload and fight fires with. Its also easier to allow crews to get on and off ships. In some European Ports the crews may not be allowed to disembark so parking them stern in doesn't allow them an easy disembarkation while still allowing the ship to offload.