RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 10-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Bobcat Construction Equipment (and FAMECE)

I know that Prime Base discusses the FAMECE equipment, but since I cannot find many details on them (beyond theoretical musings from military docs in the 70s) do you think that some of the heavier bobcat construction equipment might be a suitable replacement?

Bobcat seems like a nice acquisition for the Project.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Internet Intellectual

Bobcat minis are really good for confined spaces and smallish projects. The bonus is that any 3/4 ton and up with a V8 motor pulls one on a trailer easily. There quick disconnect and variety of attachments is really, really handy.

The size though that makes them handy, makes them too small for some jobs.

The Project needs an airfield to launch that C-130. This is gonna take a D-7 (or larger) bulldozer, a large 634 (or larger) front loader, a 14G motor grader, a large sheepsfoot compactor, a large vibrating roller, and a water spraying truck.

That is just for horizontal work. Vertical work is going to add an excavator, backhoe, trackhoe, and hydraulic crane.

There is a backhoe stated in "Desert Search".

The Bobcats make a great team vehicle. With a trailer and attachments like bucket, 6 way blade, forklift tines, ditch witch alot of minor repairs can be done.

http://www.quickattach.com/shop-by-d...t/skid-steers/

http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/Sk...ons-s/9339.htm

http://www.everythingattachments.com...nts-s/2488.htm

Last edited by ArmySGT.; 10-12-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Administrator

The larger units would not be required at too many locations.

Perhaps after the project acquires Bobcat, they build ~12 prototypes of machines similar to the ones you mentioned. They send them across country to try them out in different environments.

After some staged mechanical issues, the company's attempt to expand into larger equipment is deemed a failure and the prototypes are quietly retired.

They do that the negative of being untested compared to the military acquired hardware, but with no need for an additional cover story. Also being able to build them from scratch might allow optimization to fusion/electircal power and a smaller logistical profile.

The heaviest vehicles my project has are 4 M247 (Sgt York) prototypes, which were acquired in a similar fashion.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
I know that Prime Base discusses the FAMECE equipment, but since I cannot find many details on them (beyond theoretical musings from military docs in the 70s) do you think that some of the heavier bobcat construction equipment might be a suitable replacement?

Bobcat seems like a nice acquisition for the Project.
Information is very sparse for the FAMECE, but I did have a gentleman contact me back in 2008 about his time working with Clark (the company that built the FAMECE). He was going to get my copies of the manuals he had, but I never heard from him afterwards.

15 to 16 power modules where built and 2 each of the work sections except for the compactors which where 1 smooth drum roller and 1 sheep's foot compactor where built.

When the program was cancelled about half of the power modules and work modules went to an equipment broker in Wisconsin (very early 1980's, near Wisconsin Dell's, there was a small city / town interested in purchasing them), The other remaining units went to an unknown location (most likely scrapped).

I have a lot of pictures of the units being tested and before and after painting, but unfortunately I can not share them at this time.

It was an interesting idea that had merits. For TMP use it is excellent but as with other things in the game it is obscure equipment.

Gary.

Last edited by nuke11; 10-12-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Internet Intellectual

I deleted it because of the sparse information.

So in its place are several pieces of equipment, and a couple of plants to be assembled if necessary (rock screening, rock crushing, asphalt, and concrete batch).

So there are pieces all converted to fusion using electric motors or one large electric motor turning a hydraulic pump.

5 ton Dump trucks, 4 yard front loaders , D7 and D9 bulldozers, etc, etc.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Until I found this I had no idea what FAMECE looked like.

edit. Just noticed that the drivers seat can flip directions. That makes sense.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Internet Intellectual

Wow!

That is actually the first ever picture I have seen of what the FAMECE is supposed to look like.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:50 PM

For our campaign we went a different route (the Land Train), but we did a little research years ago on the FAMECE gear. Here's a useful little graphic:

http://asmrb.pbworks.com/w/file/7014...ic%20types.jpg

--
Michael B.

Last edited by Gelrir; 10-19-2013 at 11:55 PM.