RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 10-16-2008, 02:47 AM

Default 2nd fleet or Harpoon ?

Anyone own 2nd fleet or Harpoon wargames?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:31 AM
[Armchair Commando]

Send a message via MSN to Snake Eyes Send a message via Yahoo to Snake Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdusk

Anyone own 2nd fleet or Harpoon wargames?
Not presently in my possession, but I played the shit out of those (along with 2nd & 7th Fleets) in high school. For some reason I always had to play the Russians, so I got really good at sinking the American Navy.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:51 AM

I don't have the game but I have several gamebooks as I used them to work on naval engagements in T2K. What are you looking for?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

I have Harpoon 4 and the entire fleet series. Harpoon 4 is actively being used and developed, so it is more accurate than the estimates that in many cases were used in the 1980s for the fleet games. We used Harpoon 4 to work out the Cam Ranh raid and will use it for more of our naval histories. Its just kind of ponderous to use for large engagements, tracking individual shots from multiple CVBGs can take up an entire weekend...
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 10-16-2008, 10:29 AM

I have the whole "2/5/6/7 Fleet" series, Harpoon miniatures rules and board-game rules (I think) and I used to have it on a 5.25" disk about 4 PCs back. Looking for something?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:41 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I have harpoon somewhere. I used to play it all the time a decade or so ago.

And then I recently was left LOTS of tabletop wargames by my uncle, I still have yet to inventory them but I am thinking I have most of the classics.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:45 PM

I had 2nd fleet back in 1995, but sold it when i moved towns. Now, i am looking to either get it back (its out of print) or get into Harpoon.

I am a little familiar with 2nd fleet, but Harpoon seemed more up to date / current.

If i could get either game i'd be happy.

I wasnt sure which was the better game to be chasing.

Is Harpoon hex based or minatures?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:16 PM
[Armchair Commando]

Send a message via MSN to Snake Eyes Send a message via Yahoo to Snake Eyes

Quote:

I seem to recall we had to move the couches and coffee table out of my living room in order to map beyond the first convergence zone.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 PM

I've heard good things about Harpoon for many years, the Challenge Mags were full of Harpoon advertisements. Is there a computer version of Harpoon?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 PM

I have the counter-based version of Harpoon (now in storage) and the DOS version for PC-compatible games (still have the disks, even though the computer I ran it on bit the big one. I had the Original game disk (Norweigan Sea), the second disk (Atlantic Convoys) and the final one of the originals (IO/PG). There was another add-on that had scenarios for a Russian civil war fought at sea (both Red and Blue were Soviet or Russian factions), but I didn't obtain it.

Old USMC Adage
Old 10-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Harpoon is miniature-based, but the late '80's box set from GDW came with cardboard counters for things, IIRC.

There was a PC game, and I think I heard it was updated at least once.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:28 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee
Harpoon is miniature-based, but the late '80's box set from GDW came with cardboard counters for things, IIRC.

There was a PC game, and I think I heard it was updated at least once.

There were two or three PC games, I used to play it everyday. It said you could program your own games and I tried but they never took. Then again I often used a navy with every ship in the fleet vs a similiar navy with the entire atlantic or pacific as my field.

What was worse was playing one of the preprogramed games ahd it crashing just as you have gained the upper hand and were begining to pound the russians back into the stone age.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:53 AM

Bought it, opened it, never played, it still have it tabletop version....played the hell out of the first computer version...had the second PC version but didn't play it as much......have no idea where they are now
Old 10-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Administrator

I had the first computer version for the Mac, back in '90 or so. Played it till my fingers bled. Wait, that was the summer of '69...

Back to Harpoon- I loved that game. It was extremely challenging. I used to set everything up and then make my kid brother sit there for hours of RT, watching for sonar or radar contacts. "Call me if anything happens." Man, I was an a**hole.

I almost bought the new PC version, Harpoon CE, but decided that I spend too much time on the computer as it is.

I want to play it again as the Soviet Navy, to test me and Chico's slightly divergent theories regarding the results of a series of hypothetical fleet actions in the Norwegian Sea area for the Twilight 200o timeline.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 10-19-2008, 12:24 AM

Harpoon is best then?

Is it very mathematical/detail intensive?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Harpoon is best then?

Is it very mathematical/detail intensive?
I haven't played any others so I can't answer your first question. It does have a very, very good rep, though. In fact, the USN even used one of the versions, at one point, for training purposes.

As for the second, there's not a lot of math involved, at least not overtly. It is, however, pretty detail oriented. For example, when running a carrier battle group, you have to set aircraft launch times, patrol sectors, radar activity, ship courses, sonar types, ASW heli patrols, etc. etc. etc. If you forget to recall a patrolling aircraft, it'll run out of fuel and crash. There are alerts, though, to help you remember to do stuff like that.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 10-21-2008, 01:52 AM

I'm prefering the board game/minature rules over any computer game.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:31 PM

With Harpoon, i assume it has lists of ships, helecopters etc so you can set up your own scenarios? Like a falklands war engagement for example?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Quote:
With Harpoon, i assume it has lists of ships, helicopters etc so you can set up your own scenarios? Like a falklands war engagement for example?
Right, they have several books full of ship, aircraft, sensor and weapons stats. Many can be found online - try http://membres.lycos.fr/harpoon4/ in the forms section.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 10-26-2008, 04:50 AM

i can only find harpoon 3 in Australia, is that going to be OK to play??? (any significant differences???)
Old 11-08-2008, 11:47 PM

OK, so i got myself Harpoon 4.1, High Tide. I've found a yahoo (doh!) forum, that is a bit active, but not much.

So, if anyone can answer this question that'd be great (yes, i am making "our" T2K forum into "my" harpoon place :-)

Sub A fires on Sub B. Sub B has not detected Sub A or the torpedo it has fired. It will take 5 x 30 second turns for the torpedo to hit Sub B.

Question 1: Does Sub B get one attempt to detect the incoming Torpedo (3 minute turns), or does it get 5 x attempts (at 0.5) to detect it using 30 second turns?