RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-21-2023, 09:22 AM

Default The Black Madonna

Got a Kickstarter notification that the PDF will be sent to backers in the next couple of weeks.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2023, 01:19 PM
Administrator

The wording of the e-mail leaves me wondering if KS backers will also receive the physical copy, or just the PDF.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 08-21-2023, 02:13 PM

I’ve already asked the question and we get the boxed set
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2023, 12:44 AM

While i'm glad there is a T2K module in the works. I think i'd rather see a FL original module, than a re-make.

Its been a while since i read the original module, but its still available and i'm sure would still work with V4 rules if that's what you wanted. If FL have the time, i'd rather see new material.

Last edited by kcdusk; 08-27-2023 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-27-2023, 01:03 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdusk View Post
While i'm glad there is a T2K module in the works. I think i'd rather see a FL original module, than a re-make.

Its been a while since i read the original module, but its still available and i'm sure would still work with V4 rules if that's what you wanted. If FL have the time, i'd rather see new material.
I say this with zero heat or indignation: I don't think Free League is trying to cater to the game's 1e/2e legacy audience with this edition.* I believe they expect to get some nostalgia sales but are developing the 4e line primarily for new arrivals to the Twilight: 2000 universe. They know that one of the larger stated barriers to getting people to try (and buy) new games is having to learn a new rules set. Witness the plethora of threads out there on general gaming forums and subreddits wherein players and GMs bemoan their group's unwillingness to try anything because "learning new rules is hard."

Free League is rapidly building a stable of games that all run on variations of the Year Zero Engine. Their intent seems to be that once someone picks up one of their games - whether that's Alien, Mutant Year Zero, T2k, Tales from the Loop, or Bladerunner - that barrier to entry is more like a small speedbump. It's not quite a walled garden, but it's certainly a broad biome.

Regardless of whether or not that's actually their strategy, they gain precisely nothing by pointing their audience to a $9.99 PDF of a 1e module that only puts money in Far Future Enterprises' pocket and isn't written to align with their 4e timeline or setting. Reworking the very first T2k module with the original author on the writing team is probably a middle path for them. They'll get a few nostalgia sales from legacy players who've picked up 4e. They'll put out an adventure module, thereby addressing the "there's no starting adventure" complaint. And (before Mr. Frey's illness) they probably saw adapting existing material as a way to save development time.

- C.

* Free League is certainly not alone in this. Witness the Shadowrun edition wars... or the tortured cries of old-school World of Darkness players who aren't the target audience for V5.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson

Last edited by Tegyrius; 08-27-2023 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
Regardless of whether or not that's actually their strategy, they gain precisely nothing by pointing their audience to a $9.99 PDF of a 1e module that only puts money in Far Future Enterprises' pocket and isn't written to align with their 4e timeline or setting. Reworking the very first T2k module with the original author on the writing team is probably a middle path for them. They'll get a few nostalgia sales from legacy players who've picked up 4e. They'll put out an adventure module, thereby addressing the "there's no starting adventure" complaint. And (before Mr. Frey's illness) they probably saw adapting existing material as a way to save development time.

- C.

Yes, agreed.
Old 09-01-2023, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
The wording of the e-mail leaves me wondering if KS backers will also receive the physical copy, or just the PDF.

-
That was the original pledge goal text during the Kickstarter campaign:

Quote:
STRETCHGOAL 22: THE BLACK MADONNA – UNLOCKED!

The Black Madonna is one of the most iconic modules for the first edition of Twilight: 2000. Original author Frank Frey will write a new version of this scenario, updated for the new edition. This is a digital stretch goal, which will be made available to all backers in PDF format, after the release of the core game. Backers will also be able to order a printed version of this book from our webshop at zero cost except shipping.
Bolded by me.