RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Registered Registrant

Default Your favourite weapons - Eastern European

To go along with the favourite US weapons thread, I figured perhaps we should have a few more such topics, so here's a thread for you to tell us about your favourite Eastern European weapons, the ones used by Warsaw Pact members.

For me, straight up it has to be the Czech 9x19mm CZ-75/CZ-85 pistol. Although designed for Western sales (very possible done to take advantage of Moldauhafen, a special lot in the port of Hamburg that gave Czechoslovakia access to the sea - read more here), it's since been taken into use in one form or another by Czech Republic police and has been the basis of a number of successful pistols in Western Europe and the USA (e.g. Tanfoglio T95, Jericho 941, Sphinx AT 2000)

CZ-75

And as a second favourite, I've been a bit of a fan for the Hungarian AMD-65, I know it's "just another AK" but to me it looks kinda cool!
Old 08-10-2015, 01:35 PM

Cz75, cz52, vz52/57, vz58
Old 08-10-2015, 08:33 PM

CZ 75, CZ52, Polish PM-63 SMG. 147gr in the CZ75.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:00 PM

As far as the best weapons in Eastern Europe, the Chechs got it going on. I like the Vz-58 better then all the other Warsaw Pacts AK's. Also as mentioned above there Cz-75 pistol, which was a lot nicer then anything the other Pact countries were making at the time. If Italy is considered as Eastern Europe because it's a Warsaw Pact nation, I would go with a AR-70 and a Beretta 92fs over the Chech weapons. A Beretta 93R would make for a cool pistol too.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:53 PM

Hungarian AK-63D
Czech CZ-75
Polish Wz.89 Onyx
Old 08-20-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4something View Post
As far as the best weapons in Eastern Europe, the Chechs got it going on. I like the Vz-58 better then all the other Warsaw Pacts AK's. Also as mentioned above there Cz-75 pistol, which was a lot nicer then anything the other Pact countries were making at the time. If Italy is considered as Eastern Europe because it's a Warsaw Pact nation, I would go with a AR-70 and a Beretta 92fs over the Chech weapons. A Beretta 93R would make for a cool pistol too.
The Czechs have been making great weapons for decades; one reason Hitler invaded in 1939 was to get his hands on the factories.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:41 PM
Registered Registrant

Yeah, the Czechs never really went for the AK so it's not surprising with their history of gunmaking that they decided to design their own rifle. I reckon they made it look outwardly like an AK just to keep the Russians happy!

The Czech ZH29 rifle from 1929 was certainly interesting, it's claimed to be one of the first successful self-loaders. Personally I prefer the look of the Vz.52 but the ZH29 is a rifle I'd like to own for curiosity value.
Speaking of the Vz.52, if I was going to take one, I'd have to take two! One in the original 7.62x45mm and one in 7.62x39mm - any excuse to have more than one of them!
Old 08-22-2015, 04:26 PM

Bulgarian umbrella?
For those too young to remember, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi_Markov
Old 08-23-2015, 12:01 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

PPSH its the tommy gun of eastern Europe.

AKR

Polish P64

DPM
Old 08-25-2015, 08:03 PM

Im going to say

PM-63 for the WIN.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother in Arms View Post
PM-63 for the WIN.
Yes, that does seem like a very nice weapon on paper. Don't have a clue IRL though.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-26-2015, 08:51 PM

What countries actually constitute eastern Europe?

Poland, Hungary, Romania,Czech republic, Bulgaria

Does Austria = eastern europe? What about Yugoslavia?

I just need to know what countries I can choose firearms from
Old 08-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Registered Registrant

It's based on the Cold War era where "Western" essentially means NATO and "Eastern" essentially means Warsaw Treaty/Pact
So this thread comprises any country that was part of the Warsaw Pact aside from the Soviet Union (which has its own thread). "Eastern" also includes Albania and Yugoslavia because they were communist at the time but not Turkey which I'd slot into "Western" only because it was part of NATO.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I"Eastern" also includes Albania and Yugoslavia because they were communist at the time but not Turkey which I'd slot into "Western" only because it was part of NATO.
Austria would go under Western Europe despite its neutrality, I'd argue as would Switzerland; both of course produced highly influential small arms.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:01 PM

Default another I wonder question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hunter UK View Post
Austria would go under Western Europe despite its neutrality, I'd argue as would Switzerland; both of course produced highly influential small arms.
I wonder where most of the Sales went of productions from both "western" nations?
Tis better to see them afor they see you.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:23 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hunter UK View Post
Ouch! I totally forgot about both those countries but yes, that's where I'd place them, specifically based on geography. Funny enough, I was thinking on where to put Sweden and Finland and decided to leave them be because although Sweden in definitely considered Western, you could make an argument that Finland could be either (based on location and history) Western or Eastern - although I would place it in Western because of its politics and society.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:10 PM

CZ-75 pistol or any pistol in 7.62 T (which WILL penetrate Level 2 soft body armor).
either a Polish Tantal in 5.45mm X 39mm, or a VZ-58 in 7.62mm X 39mm.
Romanian "Draco" AKMSU with the 8" barrel and an underfolder stock in 7.62mm X 39mm
Romanian PSL in 7.62mmR.

Last edited by swaghauler; 08-27-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Ouch! I totally forgot about both those countries but yes, that's where I'd place them, specifically based on geography. Funny enough, I was thinking on where to put Sweden and Finland and decided to leave them be because although Sweden in definitely considered Western, you could make an argument that Finland could be either (based on location and history) Western or Eastern - although I would place it in Western because of its politics and society.
Interesting one about Finland - they did utilise the T-72 and MiG-21 in their military; also as a former Russian territory they still use the (slightly wider than standard) Russian railway gauge for their rail networks.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Registered Registrant

In some cases, the Soviet gear was more suitable for Finland e.g. the MT-LB, very good for marshy terrain and guess what Finland has lots of?
Not surprising when the Finnish name for their country (Suomi) comprises the word for bog/swamp (suo).
The Finns also used/still use a localized version of the AKM along with the AGS-17, SVD, RPD & TT-33, the T54 MBT, the BMP-1 & BMP-2, the BTR-50 & BTR-60 as well as many Soviet SAM, artillery & mortar types.
Intriguingly, they also received a small batch of AR-10 rifles for testing way back in the late 1950s, these were chambered for 7.62x39mm.