RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 02-26-2023, 08:31 AM

Default On Reflagging

As part of my current research into what would have happened when the 5th Infantry Division had been inactivated in 1992 and then the Twilight War happened, rather than staying in service as per the 1e/2e timeline, I've been having some difficulties tracking what happened to subordinate units.

Anyone know if there is a resource that tracks activation, inactivation, and reflagging of individual regiments and their constituent battalions?

Anyone know why combat aviation brigades often had one attack battalion instead of two and separate support and assault companies rather than a general support battalion as per the TOE?

Does anyone have access to a complete current series to&e? I'd also be interested in seeing what a pre-BCT division would look like with modern equipment. For example - when they shifted to the BCT structure, they went from something like 58 M113s in a mechanized infantry battalion to something like 44 M2s. Would the quantity of M2s change back to 58 in a j-series structure or would it change regardless of the change to the force structure?

Last edited by 3catcircus; 02-26-2023 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:31 AM

In my home brewed history, the 5th ID was reformed in the wake of the Soviet Coup. It was largely reformed by the end of 1995. Historically, the Louisiana NG units were not really changed, and to my knowledge, were earmarked as NATO reinforcing brigade.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:21 AM

256th IN BDE existed as a separate LAARNG mech bde in various guises until becoming an IBCT in the mid/late 2000s. Their MATES site was on North Fort Polk and they shot gunnery on the 40 series ranges and MPRC at Polk at least through the early 00s.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:47 AM

Thanks for this insight.

I guess the question is how would inactivated divisions just be reactivated in their pre-existing structure in response to a Twilight War level of crisis? Or would they constitute whole new structures? I can see that when 5ID inactivated, some of the units were moved to 2AD. Would they be sucked back in, leaving those other divisions understrength?

As to round out brigades - while interesting that it would take several months for them to be ready after being activated, I don't see how they could reconstitute an entire division with Guard units while waiting to form active units in a reactivated organization.