RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2016, 05:18 PM

Default Soviets in the US?

I was just reading the Pacific Fleet fan fiction and they mention Soviets making it to California and even LA.

Is there any canon support for Soviets in Mexico, much less the US outside of Alaska?
Old 05-23-2016, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
I was just reading the Pacific Fleet fan fiction and they mention Soviets making it to California and even LA.

Is there any canon support for Soviets in Mexico, much less the US outside of Alaska?
There are units in Washington (or at least on that Canadian island that borders it) and Division Cuba is in Mexico.

If Div Cuba is partnered with Mexico I could see cross attachments of some minor units. Perhaps their goal was to link up with GRU assets that were active in California during the war.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:10 PM

Division Cuba isn't really Soviet in my mind but yeah...

The Pacific Fleet write up has a Soviet Guards Motor Rifle Division hitting the 91st outside of Escondido.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:02 PM

I'm pretty sure there's a Challenge Mag article about a Soviet unit operating on the CONUS east coast which is made up of POWs that escaped and were due to be ferried away by a Soviet sub, but the sub never arrived. IIR the unit has KGB or GRU with them coordinating things. I'm sorry to be so vague (I'm at work and don't have access to my Challenge Mags) but if I had to guess I reckon the article is in the first 50 issues.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:04 PM
Banned

the Soviets got a decent sized force into Alaska and western Canada (and got me how they got the forces in Canada considering that their Pacific Fleet is nothing compared to the US Pacific Fleet) and also have Division Cuba - which is a patched together motor rifle division compromising everything they had in Cuba - sent to Texas by Cuba using Mexican transport to avoid getting themselves nuked by the US - otherwise outside of KGB operatives and possible a few Spetsnaz teams thats it

the Pacific Fleet fan fiction has the Russians with more units than canon had them with - now could the Soviets have scrapped up another small unit to help the Mexicans - possibly but at most we are talking about a battalion or so of embassy guards, advisors, etc.. gathered from Central and South American countries (especially Peru and Nicaragua who you figure in version 1 stays under the Sandinistas and doesnt allow free elections) - but nothing like a second division
Old 05-23-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
the Soviets got a decent sized force into Alaska and western Canada (and got me how they got the forces in Canada considering that their Pacific Fleet is nothing compared to the US Pacific Fleet) and also have Division Cuba - which is a patched together motor rifle division compromising everything they had in Cuba - sent to Texas by Cuba using Mexican transport to avoid getting themselves nuked by the US - otherwise outside of KGB operatives and possible a few Spetsnaz teams thats it

the Pacific Fleet fan fiction has the Russians with more units than canon had them with - now could the Soviets have scrapped up another small unit to help the Mexicans - possibly but at most we are talking about a battalion or so of embassy guards, advisors, etc.. gathered from Central and South American countries (especially Peru and Nicaragua who you figure in version 1 stays under the Sandinistas and doesnt allow free elections) - but nothing like a second division
Your comment reminds me of the pics and vids of the neglected Russian naval assets rusting and half sunk today, these could be used in a campaign they look like casualties of WWIII.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
I'm pretty sure there's a Challenge Mag article about a Soviet unit operating on the CONUS east coast which is made up of POWs that escaped and were due to be ferried away by a Soviet sub, but the sub never arrived. IIR the unit has KGB or GRU with them coordinating things. I'm sorry to be so vague (I'm at work and don't have access to my Challenge Mags) but if I had to guess I reckon the article is in the first 50 issues.
You are right - its Challenge 48 - and they are similar to the group that escaped out of the POW camps in the UK - but very badly armed and small - only about 120 or so effectives - and per Challenge they were only armed with 41 firearms the majority of them civilian hunting weapons and very limited ammo - the best they have are three Uzi's, two AR-15's and and antique BAR plus a single Garand rifle and eleven shotguns - the rest are pistols and a few 22's
Old 05-23-2016, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
Division Cuba isn't really Soviet in my mind but yeah...

The Pacific Fleet write up has a Soviet Guards Motor Rifle Division hitting the 91st outside of Escondido.
Division Cuba is definitely a Soviet unit - its a combination of everything they had in Cuba - about 9000 advisers and troops along with a tank regiment and other equipment - reinforced by the Cubans with enough equipment to fill out the holes in their formations (i.e. APC's, artillery, etc.)

this thread had various ideas for its composition - http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.p...=division+cuba
Old 05-23-2016, 07:14 PM
Internet Intellectual

Elements of the Northern Baltic or Arctic fleet shifted to the Pacific fleet to avoid the North Atlantic submariners convention? The Soviets have many, many icebreakers in different hull classes, so even arctic winter isn't a complete barrier.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:24 PM

I here ya...but they are sort of left out to dry really. By the Mexicans, Cubans and even their own command.

In my campaign, they have become their own independent unit that just happens to made up of mostly Soviets.

Even the Alaska data seems tough to follow. How hard would it be to survive, must less fight, with no fuel? Sounds damn cold to me.

I do remember the KGB presence from the Challenger article, nice catch.

Anyone know of anything from CA/Mexico other then the ones already noted? Like they have in that Pacific Fleet write up?
Old 05-23-2016, 07:51 PM

Pacific Fleet fanfic? Where's this?

Old USMC Adage
Old 05-23-2016, 08:13 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wiser View Post
Pacific Fleet fanfic? Where's this?
Pearl Harbor?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:16 PM
Internet Intellectual

Specifically, CinCPacFlt G6............
Old 05-23-2016, 08:34 PM

For later date campaigns, I used the Chicoms seizing those car haulers like in Tom Clancy's book about Japan attacking Guam. Storms and combat let me scatter Chicom gear and soldiers across the west coast and Gulf of Mexico. Ft Irwen let me do the same with Russian/Soviet gear.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:04 PM

Here is he document I was talking about, not sure where I found it who wrote it.
Attached Files
File Type: doc pacific fleet.doc (275.5 KB, 77 views)
Old 05-27-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Elements of the Northern Baltic or Arctic fleet shifted to the Pacific fleet to avoid the North Atlantic submariners convention? The Soviets have many, many icebreakers in different hull classes, so even arctic winter isn't a complete barrier.
String of nukes along the ice shortly before the convoy needs to go...

Of course, even spaced 30 miles apart that's a LOT of nukes across the northern edge of Siberia...

Uncle Ted
Old 05-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkated View Post
String of nukes along the ice shortly before the convoy needs to go...

Of course, even spaced 30 miles apart that's a LOT of nukes across the northern edge of Siberia...

Uncle Ted
Not necessary in the case of the Soviets...... They own nuclear powered ice breakers. Some haul freight, some are bulk fuel, so these belong to the State.

I don't even think they are Soviet Navy, their State owned, but civilian under Maritime Law.