RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 12-14-2010, 06:06 AM

Default Good books that have an M.P. feel

Just wondering what books people have read that have a Morrow Project feel to them. I am going to throw in The Guardians series of books by Richard Austin. Though they would be considered Snake Eaters since they are all active U.S. military they act in many ways like a Recon team trying to secure assets that can help rebuild America after a nuclear war with the Soviet Union.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskar24 View Post
Just wondering what books people have read that have a Morrow Project feel to them. I am going to throw in The Guardians series of books by Richard Austin. Though they would be considered Snake Eaters since they are all active U.S. military they act in many ways like a Recon team trying to secure assets that can help rebuild America after a nuclear war with the Soviet Union.
This may not be exactly TMP centric, but an excellent example of the people TMP were supposed to help is found in Alas Babylon by Pat Frank.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:15 PM

I will look that one up Mike.

Does anyone else have any books that they have read that have aq good M.P. feel to it?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:23 PM

You might want to check out the "1632" books (edited by Eric Flint). They spawned the Grantville Gazette which has ideas on how to use 17th Century materials (and skills) to recreate 20th Century technology

http://1632.org/gazetteextras/
Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 PM

Farham's Freehold and Star Man's Son are good for a post-oops feel.

Lucifier's Hammer for a civilization trying to restart right after a major-oops.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskar24 View Post
Zaskar,

The Guardians was directly inspired by TMP, according (I think) to Kevin Dockery, who knew the author. I could be mistaken! If I'm not further mistaken, 1632 was started as a post-apocalypse thought-experiment, so that makes the similarities more understandable. I crib a lot from "The Postman", at least the book.

Tony
Old 12-15-2010, 02:41 AM

The later books in "The Survivalist" series were set hundreds of years in the future, and the main protagonist of the books survives until that time in cryogenic sleep.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
The later books in "The Survivalist" series were set hundreds of years in the future, and the main protagonist of the books survives until that time in cryogenic sleep.
I read those as well until shortly after the whole cryo sleep thing. Didn't that story arc feature Nazi's from South America as well as space shuttles sent into a long trip through the solar system with people in cryo sleep as well? Been close to twenty years since I read either series.

helbent4,
It makes sense that the Guardians series was directly inspired by TMP. I mean from them driving around in a Cadillac-Gage V-450 Super Commando to them looking for secret projects that would help to rebuild the U.S. Lets not forget the fact that they also have numerous caches hidden across the country.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:56 PM

Armageddon 2419 AD, the original Buck Rogers story.

Alas, Babylon and Farnham's Freehold are good. I'd have to agree about 1632, also, although they're a different kind of oops! situation, the result is somewhat similar.

A Canticle For Liebowitz is another good read.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:06 PM

Horseclans, Robert Adams

Empire of the East, Faces of the Gods series, Swords series, Fred Saberhagen

Foundation, Isaac Asimov
Old 07-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Internet Intellectual

Wolf and Iron