RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 PM
The Stat Guy

Default Something I've been wondering about for a while...

OK, so you're a T2K character tooling around in your HMMWV in a normal manner, just sightseeing in the countryside or something. Then you get attacked. You're zooming your HMMWV here and there, zigging and zagging, hitting the gas then the brake here and there, sometimes flooring the gas pedal, etc.

The fuel consumption figures give the amount of fuel consumed in the average 4-hour period of driving and periodically stopping. How much extra fuel gets consumed in a 20-minute firefight? What about if you're driving hard and fast because you're trying to outrun your attackers?

Something I've thought about on and off over the years, but I've never been able to come up with a satisfactory answer to. (Damn, that sentence was grammatically incorrect!)
Old 11-18-2008, 08:52 PM

Good question. You'd burn up a lot more fuel if you're in a combat situation and running from the bad guys (especially if you lost said fire-fight and got away-barely).

Old USMC Adage
Old 11-19-2008, 02:49 AM

As a guesstimate I'd say your economy would be about 10% of normal.

Most fuel consumption is done under acceleration. My 03 diesel golf gets 45-50+ MPG when cruising unloaded at highway speeds (70-80mph) in high gear. When accelerating from rest or low speeds in low gears, the little MPG computer in the dash reports as low as 8mpg. Figure in a lot of low-speed constant accelerating with an overloaded vehicle and I reckon 10% is a good start.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 AM

Don't know if it wil help, but GURPS WWII has rules for fuel consumption for long distance travel, which might be adaptable to the situation.

Moving at 60& speed uses the listed fuel consumption. Moving at 80% top speed doubles fuel use and moving at 100% speed triples fuel use. Moving at 30% top speed drops fuel consumption to 1/4.

http://copeab.tripod.com
Old 11-20-2008, 02:20 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
OK, so you're a T2K character tooling around in your HMMWV in a normal manner, just sightseeing in the countryside or something. Then you get attacked. You're zooming your HMMWV here and there, zigging and zagging, hitting the gas then the brake here and there, sometimes flooring the gas pedal, etc.

The fuel consumption figures give the amount of fuel consumed in the average 4-hour period of driving and periodically stopping. How much extra fuel gets consumed in a 20-minute firefight? What about if you're driving hard and fast because you're trying to outrun your attackers?

Something I've thought about on and off over the years, but I've never been able to come up with a satisfactory answer to. (Damn, that sentence was grammatically incorrect!)
Well for the GM to avoid a mathematics discussion - let's just say the attackers hit the gas tank so it drips down to 50% of what it was before the attack,......easy
Old 11-23-2008, 11:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

I've noticed it more even in my mother's Hyundai, when I was driving home in the snow on Friday from work, the roads were iced up like a hockey rink. I kept driving in 1st and 2nd gear and using the motor as a brake from time to time and I boticed I used a bit more fuel than I usually do. Same with my Ford Explorer, when I hit 4 wheel drive, my fuel consumption goes up.

Chuck M
Old 11-23-2008, 12:25 PM

From personnal experience when driving a little rough, I would say that the consumption increase would be somewhere between 30-50%.