RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 AM
TiggerCCW UK's Avatar
TiggerCCW UK TiggerCCW UK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 663
Default .224 Boz Weapons

I can remember hearing about the .224 Boz round having been developed by Civil Defence Supplies in England, but never heard anything more about it. Does anyone know whats happening with it? Is it in production and is anyone using it? I think at the time the company had converted MP5's to fire it, but I never heard much about it.
__________________
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-01-2009, 06:04 AM
Canadian Army's Avatar
Canadian Army Canadian Army is offline
No-Intensity Conflict Specialist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 269
Default .224 Boz

I got this from old post on Military Photos. I hope this is what you need?

.224 BOZ

The .224 BOZ was developed by Civil Defense Supply, located in the United Kingdom, and was begun as a Special Forces ammunition project for police and military use. In short, the concept was to design a new pistol cartridge that would deliver significantly more power than the current 9mm Parabellum as used in both handguns and submachine guns. The two main requirements were that the cartridge be adaptable to existing firearms and that it be able to penetrate CRISAT armor (1.5mm titanium plate reinforced with 20 layers of Kevlar) and generate a PIH level of 0.6 or greater.

It was decided that the bullet chosen be one of proven design and so the 5.56mm round as used by NATO forces was selected. Not only was there a significant amount of data already collected on this bullet design, but it was also available in numerous configurations such as armor piercing, tracer, ball, and frangible. In looking for a starting point for the cartridge case both the 9mm Parabellum and the .40 S&W were looked at and then quickly dismissed as possible candidates because both lacked the case capacity to generate the required energy and velocity. The 10mm Auto was then chosen both for its power potential and existing firearm platforms readily convertible to the new cartridge.

The original test-bed for the .224 BOZ was a Colt Delta Elite. Using lightweight 50gn 5.56mm bullets velocities ranging from 1,750fps to 2,200fps were obtained. Eventually the Glock 20 was chosen as the foundation for the .224 BOZ PPW (Personal Protection Weapon) due to its "positive lock between barrel and frame." (It must be noted though that in this caliber a 5.5" barrel is considered "compact" and a 6.5" barrel is "standard.") For the carbine/submachine gun platform the HK MP5 was selected Not only is the MP5 series of submachine guns one of the most popular around the world, but it is also available in 10mm (though no longer in production). Royal Ordnance and Heckler & Koch worked together to develop the .224 BOZ PDW (Personal Defense Weapon) which is basically an HK MP5/10 chambered for the .224 BOZ round. Reportedly there is also a .224 BOZ PDW based on the AR15 platform, but apparently this is still under development.
__________________
"You're damn right, I'm gonna be pissed off! I bought that pig at Pink Floyd's yard sale!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 AM
Targan's Avatar
Targan Targan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 3,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Army
...and generate a PIH level of 0.6 or greater.
I'm not familiar with this abbreviation. I tried looking it up on the net but my Google-Fu failed me (unless you are referring to Pregnancy-Induced Hypertension heh heh). Could some clever forumite please enlighten me on this?
__________________
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-01-2009, 06:38 AM
TiggerCCW UK's Avatar
TiggerCCW UK TiggerCCW UK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
I'm not familiar with this abbreviation. I tried looking it up on the net but my Google-Fu failed me (unless you are referring to Pregnancy-Induced Hypertension heh heh). Could some clever forumite please enlighten me on this?
I'll take a guess at probability of incapacitating hit. Seems to fit, but its just a guess
__________________
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-01-2009, 07:11 AM
TiggerCCW UK's Avatar
TiggerCCW UK TiggerCCW UK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Army
I got this from old post on Military Photos. I hope this is what you need?

.224 BOZ

The .224 BOZ was developed by Civil Defense Supply, located in the United Kingdom, and was begun as a Special Forces ammunition project for police and military use. In short, the concept was to design a new pistol cartridge that would deliver significantly more power than the current 9mm Parabellum as used in both handguns and submachine guns. The two main requirements were that the cartridge be adaptable to existing firearms and that it be able to penetrate CRISAT armor (1.5mm titanium plate reinforced with 20 layers of Kevlar) and generate a PIH level of 0.6 or greater.

It was decided that the bullet chosen be one of proven design and so the 5.56mm round as used by NATO forces was selected. Not only was there a significant amount of data already collected on this bullet design, but it was also available in numerous configurations such as armor piercing, tracer, ball, and frangible. In looking for a starting point for the cartridge case both the 9mm Parabellum and the .40 S&W were looked at and then quickly dismissed as possible candidates because both lacked the case capacity to generate the required energy and velocity. The 10mm Auto was then chosen both for its power potential and existing firearm platforms readily convertible to the new cartridge.

The original test-bed for the .224 BOZ was a Colt Delta Elite. Using lightweight 50gn 5.56mm bullets velocities ranging from 1,750fps to 2,200fps were obtained. Eventually the Glock 20 was chosen as the foundation for the .224 BOZ PPW (Personal Protection Weapon) due to its "positive lock between barrel and frame." (It must be noted though that in this caliber a 5.5" barrel is considered "compact" and a 6.5" barrel is "standard.") For the carbine/submachine gun platform the HK MP5 was selected Not only is the MP5 series of submachine guns one of the most popular around the world, but it is also available in 10mm (though no longer in production). Royal Ordnance and Heckler & Koch worked together to develop the .224 BOZ PDW (Personal Defense Weapon) which is basically an HK MP5/10 chambered for the .224 BOZ round. Reportedly there is also a .224 BOZ PDW based on the AR15 platform, but apparently this is still under development.
Thanks for that. Does anyone know if anybody bought or adopted them? And does anyone have any game stats for them?
__________________
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 PM
pmulcahy11b's Avatar
pmulcahy11b pmulcahy11b is offline
The Stat Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerCCW UK
Thanks for that. Does anyone know if anybody bought or adopted them? And does anyone have any game stats for them?
I do! Under British Pistols and British Submachineguns.
__________________
How did the universe get so weird? -- Michio Kaku

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-02-2009, 12:34 AM
TiggerCCW UK's Avatar
TiggerCCW UK TiggerCCW UK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 663
Default

Thanks Paul. I'd tried a short cut to find them on your site by looking for the ammo in the small arms ammo section and didn't see it there. Thanks again!
__________________
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-02-2009, 12:59 AM
pmulcahy11b's Avatar
pmulcahy11b pmulcahy11b is offline
The Stat Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerCCW UK
Thanks Paul. I'd tried a short cut to find them on your site by looking for the ammo in the small arms ammo section and didn't see it there. Thanks again!
I thought I put that in there about the beginning of the year, under Pistol, Revolver and SMG rounds...hmmmm...I'll have to check that.
__________________
How did the universe get so weird? -- Michio Kaku

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-02-2009, 02:57 AM
TiggerCCW UK's Avatar
TiggerCCW UK TiggerCCW UK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
I thought I put that in there about the beginning of the year, under Pistol, Revolver and SMG rounds...hmmmm...I'll have to check that.
It possibly was and I just missed it Paul, sorry.
__________________
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-02-2009, 03:28 AM
Targan's Avatar
Targan Targan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 3,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerCCW UK
It possibly was and I just missed it Paul, sorry.
Sounds like you might need to visit the range and zero your sights there Tig. Heh heh.
__________________
"It is better to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-02-2009, 03:32 AM
TiggerCCW UK's Avatar
TiggerCCW UK TiggerCCW UK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts: 663
Default

Its old age kicking in Targ Seriously, there is just that much great stuff on the site that it is entirely possible that I missed it. Apologies if I'm in the wrong Paul.
__________________
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your favorite weapons U.S Brother in Arms Twilight 2000 Forum 54 08-28-2015 07:57 PM
Archaic weapons. TiggerCCW UK Twilight 2000 Forum 14 11-18-2009 01:01 PM
Ot - Dime Weapons General Pain Twilight 2000 Forum 10 01-19-2009 08:48 PM
OT-Weapons in Movies kato13 Twilight 2000 Forum 8 12-10-2008 12:53 AM
Defensive weapons kcdusk Twilight 2000 Forum 35 10-10-2008 12:07 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.