RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.
Default What about Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, and Austria.

What would happen to Czech and Slovakia in after 2000? I don't see the Republic staying together. Is either of them worthy to help in the terms of T2K aftermath? Does the county dive deep into civil war and other turmoil.

What happen to Hungary? There troops are glaringly absent on the German Front and the former Soviet Group of Forces Hungary would of been fighting in Germany. What happen to the Hungarian Military and Government? Something that with the modules that I own that wasn't touch on.

What happen to Austria? Was it carved up into many small pieces waiting for someone become large enough to gain control much like Germany and Poland are in now. How much longer will the Soviet units there remain loyal before they go either Native or head back Home where ever in the Soviet Union that may be? Is Italy in any shape to control portions of Italy.

Just some more questions.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:40 AM
The end is nigh!!!

The Eastern European sourcebook gives some ideas as to what happens but I am also fascinated by what happens in those area. I am trying to do a version of Pirates of the Danube river myself tying it in with the end of the Mediterrean Cruise module. My concept is that troops left behind south of the Munich/Vienna area go down the Danube to meet up with the Sub and get a ride home.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:33 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Yeah I never purchase the Eastern Europe Resource guide.

Always wonder how other view what happened in those areas.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:30 PM

Hungary is basically tied up in the early stages fighting against Romania. Later, once Romania is squashed into paste, they're mainly preoccupied with internal issues.

Czechoslovakia played a vital role in 1996 against the Germans and along with Poland and several Soviet Divisions had the Germans on the ropes (the Czechs were knocking on Berlins door). Since then they've been on the frontline almost continuously and have been a very important partner in the Pact military forces.

Austria is history. Carved up by the various nationalities in the area and the "border" changing from raid to raid.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 07-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Check out my take on Austria. The sourcebook includes factions based in Czechoslovakia (The New Hussites) and Slovenia (the Army of Northern Slovenia).

http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=4178&page=2
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 07-09-2015, 06:42 AM
Banned

Love that sourcebook of yours and would love to you to expand on it if you could, adding some of the Austrian military vehicles that Paul has on his site.

You have to wonder in the 2001 timeframe - with the German Army now a shadow of itself, no more real threat from NATO and the Soviets collapsing - if Hungary and the Czechs will continue in their loyalty to the Soviets
Old 07-09-2015, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Here is a thread with a map I built for the Chech Vehicle Guide

http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.p...Guide#post7705

The link to the guide itself seems to be dead, but I am pretty sure I have it somewhere.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:18 AM
Administrator

I have uploaded a copy of Chico's "Czechoslovak Vehicle Guide" to my google drive as it looks like his file holding site has been discontinued by his internet provider.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bww...ew?usp=sharing
Old 07-09-2015, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Sorry for anyone looking for my map and finding a dead link. I have fixed it.

http://games.juhlin.com/maps/czech_border.jpg
Old 03-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...Ud3TEFnUWpsekE
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 03-07-2016, 02:48 PM

Default Czechs and Balance

Austria seems to have been swamped under Soviet, Czech, and Italian troops, while there do seem to be surviving Austrian guerrillas.

Hungary, seemingly the weak sister of the Warsaw Pact, expended itself mostly against Romania.

Czechoslovakia... I have the feeling that as long as their is a reasonably strong military government, Czechoslovakia may well stay together - if only at the point of a gun. Czechoslovakia is well-endowed with mineral wealth (metals and coal) to feed its industries. It also has rather defensible borders facing German and Austria.

My understanding (limited as it is) is that some Slovaks were tired of being effectively pulled along according to the desires of the majority - there are twice as many Czechs as Slovaks. But that was in a Democracy where they were allowed to express a choice. The actual breakup did not get a majority of poll; it was particular Slovak leaders that pushed a break-up. A strong military autocracy could hold the nation together, especially while all the nations around it fall into obvious ruin.

On the other hand, I remember be surprised at the time that Czechoslavkia dissolved. I have not found much documentation to tell me why other than "nationalist tensions" and what I mentioned above. But then, most Americans were surprised when Yugoslavia split along lines thought buried by its creation in the aftermath of WW1. Like Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia was formed from disparate parts that were not together before WW1 - Bohemia, Moravia, and Silesia were part of Austria, and Slovakia was part of the Kingdom of Hungary (although both were ruled together as the Austro-Hungarian Empire); I don't understand it, but they apparently felt different still after 70 years.

Another questions might be what will the Czechs do with this (temporary) advantage? Grabbing their former tail end of Karpathia/Ruthenia, sucked into the Soviet Union just before WW2, is a possibility. There are parts of Hungary that were taken from Czechoslovakia in 1938 they might like back. They can move in to fill the vacuum left by Soviet control in Eastern Austria (depending on what happens to the Soviet units there in 2001+).

To me the big point is that they have and keep (rather than expend) an effective functioning military in 2000, while their neighbors fall toward chaos. That they kept a functioning military when most others have not tells me that they are operating in an intelligent manner; holding what you have (if it is enough) and let other folk fall further apart seems to me to be an intelligent option....

Uncle Ted
Old 03-07-2016, 08:45 PM

I have the Austrian Alps being invaded by the Italians in the summer of 1997 as part of a Warsaw Pact push on Southern Germany. NATO then kicks the Italian and Czechs out of Bavaria and crosses into Austria. The Soviets then invade Austria from the east with some Czech and Hungarian assistance and capture Vienna. NATO deploys heavy divisions and some airpower into Austria who recapture Vienna just before the war goes nuclear. Vienna International Airport and an oil refinery are destroyed by Soviet nuclear weapons but the Austrian capital survives. Soviets then move back in and recapture Vienna and advance as far as the city of Steyr on the Emms River in Central Austria, while the Italians gradually withdraw to Italy. The front quickly stabilises with the Soviets controlling the eastern half of Austria and NATO controlling the western half, while a NATO supported free Austrian provisional government is established in the city of Salzburg. The Austrian Army was heavily damaged during the Italian and later Soviet invasions of 1997. What remains of it has gradually been absorbed into the German Army, although Austrian units still retain their own identity and a few new Austrian mountain infantry divisions have been formed since. Fighting now largely in Central Austria and some anti-Soviet guerrilla activity in Soviet occupied east. A few marauder units also active in the Austrian countryside.

For the other countries I'll go along with Unkated.