RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 12-17-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
I move that Grae cooks us dinner... anyone want to second that motion?
I've never been a professional cook/chef, but one of my favorite channels on cable is the cooking channel. And I do like to cook, though I don't get the opportunity to do it like I use to living in the RV (not enough room and the stove is too durn small...)

My 'cuisine' tends towards the 'peasant' foods. Made with simple common ingredients, preferably home grown (either by me, which hasn't happened in years, or from a market where I know the grower) but usually from the 'big box' groecery for convenience. One thing is I usually cook alot more food than there are mouths to eat it much to my wife's chagrin. Hey, what can I say, I like left-overs almost as much as the meal the first time.

And my characters in games usually IS a cook, though not by trade.

Grae
Old 12-17-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graebarde
Well I think in the US there is even a better area than a cemetary to dig up, that being the golf courses. Of course a lot of them are on sandy soil, but they would still work, with work and luck.. always luck.
Actually i'd flip it around, move the cows/sheep/goats/lama's/ect onto the golf courses and plow up the old grazing land.

One of the things i was thinking about in regards to large vs small farms is the problem with refugees. On one hand it's more hands to do the work that can only now be done with brute force...and that's good , but on the other hand it's more mouth's to feed and that's bad especially when you start having to figure out who exactly get's to be at the head of the line feed wise (your family? your extended family and friends? Some guy you don't actually know but his daughter is veterinarian or your computer programmer little brother from the city?).

Large pre-existing farm’s (were they exist at all, threes a bit of a riganil deference here as well) are going to be known. Local people as well as long distance relatives and friends are going to be making for 'em not to mention any "military" type units. also sooner rather than latter the rumor at lest is going to get out to the refuge masses.....people are going to want in but there’s going to be a tipping point were the number of workers vs ability to support workers+dependints is at it's limit.

Smaller "new" farm's have a better chance of staying under the radar longer.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalker
Large pre-existing farm’s (were they exist at all, threes a bit of a riganil deference here as well) are going to be known. Local people as well as long distance relatives and friends are going to be making for 'em not to mention any "military" type units. also sooner rather than latter the rumor at lest is going to get out to the refuge masses.....people are going to want in but there’s going to be a tipping point were the number of workers vs ability to support workers+dependints is at it's limit.

Smaller "new" farm's have a better chance of staying under the radar longer.
It is one of the reason that explains why I advised to keep your ammunitions for anything but hunting.

Another problem with large farms is that they need mechanization and chemicals, something you won't have or have in very limited supply.

I agree with the refugees problem but that will last for a fairly small amount of time. If you take the game as per canon US would have lost 50+% of its population and that reduces silghtly the number of people you have to feed. In T2013 they are saying that 10% (if I'm not mistaken) of the world population is left, that makes things even more easier. My own figures for US are about 25% of survivors: you can deal with it at the local level and, then, I agree with the small farm idea. I could also think of something like the Israeli Kibutz or Soviet Kholkozes. Everyone works in the field and takes up arms when needed, shooting at everything that might try to take over the land. With a reduced humanity and limited supply of ammo, you'll have plenty of animals in almost no time.

About who you are to feed, the answer is simple, those who are of use to the community no matter if they are friends, family or stranger. For the stranger you might be well advised to watch them but that is more than true for family as well (the most trusty might be the friend as long as he doesn't envy your girlfriend or boyfriend). If someone doesn't want to do his share, you let him die (or kill him) and feed the pigs with its remains. That might sound a bit hard I agree but from what I know that's how it works. The only exception comes from petty dictator with enough cruelty to scare the hell out of you. You'll be able to think about charity only when you start to have a well fed population. Before that you won't care and you push them away (if you are of the mercyful type) or simply kill them (if you are of the unforgiving type). Another exception will come from the kids but as soon as they turn 6 or 7, you can use them for work (they are great at mining). As a result, the word that might be heard from a distance is that the amount of cadaver growing in front of your door is increasing everyday.

Last edited by Mohoender; 12-17-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:40 PM

Default My little farming community

Just a silly idea. Here will be my farming community.

1) Myself: a fairly good shot with a rifle or a SMG. I also know how to kill any animal (up to a pig), and grow vegetables. I also have several small skills.
2) My wife: a teacher, she also knows how to sew, make and repair clothes.
3) My two girls (too young for now).
4) My mother: she knows how to make wine and alcohol, she is good with a bulldozer and she is a very good shot with a rifle. She is also a metal worker.
5) My sister: that is charity except if we need an accountant but I’ll shoot anyone refusing her .
6) My mom’s boyfriend: an engineer with true combat abilities, speaking Russian, English, Arabic, Spanish...
7) My wife’s parents: her father is a construction worker and a gardener, and her mom is a wonderful cook with extended knowledge on mushrooms and wild berries.
8) My uncle and aunt: My uncle is an engineer who is good with handguns. Both lived for 35 years in Africa and my aunt knows how to use a Winchester and a colt 45.
9) My 1st cousin: a technician working on power engine and oil wells + 2 years service as a riot cop.
10) His wife and little girl. His wife comes from Katanga (DRC) and that says it all.
11) My 2nd cousin and kids. He was raised in the jungles and grasslands of Africa and he is the only white man I know to be proficient with a spear.
12) Friend 1: no real useful skills but he owns enough weapons for a rifle company.
13) His mother: she has a great estate with 200 acres that can be turned into a stronghold.
14) His father: a medical doctor (always usefull).
15) Friend 2 and his little girl: the guy can fix about anything and he is a kind of genius.
16) His son: a sniper in the French army with a nice little Hecate Rifle (caliber 50). I don't know him but I already like him.
17) Friend 3, his wife and son: medical knowledge and computer engineer.
18) Friend 4 and his little girl : he is the only one of us to know how to use a tank and he was a section commander in the artillery.
You can expect about 10 more people to be in this community for a total of 30 adults and about 10 kids on 200 acres of farmland. That should work.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:49 AM

Default How much space is needed for farming?

I thought I'd post this video to show just how much food can be grown in a small space without fertilizers or other farming aids.

https://youtu.be/GlratwBT5Ol

I cannot seem to make the link work. Just YouTube the Back To Reality channel and look for the 337lbs of potatoes, very little work video.

Swag

Last edited by swaghauler; 10-04-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: To give the YouTube Channel name
Old 10-04-2019, 08:10 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
I thought I'd post this video to show just how much food can be grown in a small space without fertilizers or other farming aids.

https://youtu.be/GlratwBT5Ol

I cannot seem to make the link work. Just YouTube the Back To Reality channel and look for the 337lbs of potatoes, very little work video.

Swag
So I was expecting this to be useful info for fleshing out aspects of the game. Aside from it being useful and informative, I actually found it quite interesting as well.
For those wanting a direct link, this one should work but I recommend browsing their other videos (the second link goes to their main page) for things such as the food storage playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlratwBT5OI
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVQ...cIioTDQ4SACvZQ

Tags
farming, farms, foodstuffs