RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 01-08-2021, 04:10 PM

Default Red Star Lone Star

Has anyone run this? Any thoughts?

Reason I ask is that I have kind of a referee/GM/DM version of the George Costanza/Korean War/Adagio for Strings montage from Seinfeld when I think about my one attempt to run it.

This occurred in college (early 90s). We had a group of 6-8 players, of which 3 of us would take turns every Sunday running a different game (T2K, Cyberpunk, Rifts, Reich Star, Star Wars, Ninjas and Superspies). I'm proud to say that I ran T2K and, at the end of the year, it was decided after many adult beverages T2K was everyone's favorite campaign.

Yet, the next year, after our European campaign ended I then tried to run RSLS (mostly same players but different PCs) and it never got off the ground (2 or 3 sessions at most).

My sons really want to play this as our next installment and it fits well into the story arc so I'm getting ready for this to be the next phase of our campaign.

I've got some thoughts but any insight/experience/hints from this community would be appreciated.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:45 PM

You might want to check out Challenge 27 which had additional details on the Mexican OOB and The Inland Waterway.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...also_purchased
Old 01-09-2021, 05:48 PM
The Stat Guy

I'm not really working on it with any deliberate speed. I'm currently trying to find maps from the1990-95 era (San Antonio, especially, changed exponentially after that -- I could barely find my way home when I came back from the Army. Houston, Galveston, New Braunfels, and even little towns like Converse and the formerly-fly-speck communities of the Hill Country are now full of bedroom communities where people live and commute to Austin or San Antonio.

A map of the area from today wouldn't do you any good in a T2K sense because of this. I've found a few sites that have this sort of thing, but I haven't done a deep dig yet.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 01-09-2021, 09:25 PM
Registered Registrant

These pages are a good place to start if you're after maps of Texas prior to 2000 (I visit this site a lot so I knew they had some relevant maps).
https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/txdot/browse.html
https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/texas.html
Old 01-11-2021, 03:59 PM

Thanks all, I appreciate the help!

Ewan, I forgot about the Challenge article and I even own it! Thanks!

Paul, I'm using the Sourcebook on your web site as a starting point for the Mexican Army - thanks

SSC, Thanks! I appreciate the resources!

I think I'm going to run it as more of a intel gathering sandbox on behalf of MILGOV rather than the guns for hire kidnapping plot in the module. Give the PCs a bit more latitude to explore the region without getting wrapped up in an "adventure" so to speak. Let them create their own instead. The suggestions that you guys provided will help with that! Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor View Post
Has anyone run this? Any thoughts?
I ran it once, ca1987 in college, with 2 or 3 players? It did follow a European game. No adult beverages were consumed-- no connections to someone 21+ at that time.

Aaaand that's about all I can remember about it. I used to run in a "quickie" style, I didn't really want the players to get bogged down in a given area, so they moved to the battle of Brownsville and storming the oil rig pretty quickly (I did want to wrap up the game before exams, I do know that). There were some encounters and info-gathering as they moved south, but I don't remember much of anything.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:24 AM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor View Post
Thanks all, I appreciate the help!

Ewan, I forgot about the Challenge article and I even own it! Thanks!

Paul, I'm using the Sourcebook on your web site as a starting point for the Mexican Army - thanks

SSC, Thanks! I appreciate the resources!

I think I'm going to run it as more of a intel gathering sandbox on behalf of MILGOV rather than the guns for hire kidnapping plot in the module. Give the PCs a bit more latitude to explore the region without getting wrapped up in an "adventure" so to speak. Let them create their own instead. The suggestions that you guys provided will help with that! Thanks again!
You're welcome
Another site that might be useful is Texas Escapes Online Magazine.
I've been checking it because I'm trying to get a Dark Conspiracy campaign started sometime this year. Part of the plan is to have the PCs spend some time in south-east Texas so Texas Escapes has been handy for general information and more specific info on things such as ghost towns.
http://texasescapes.com/default.htm