RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 07-07-2009, 12:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971
Default Morrow Project Uniforms

I have come up with ideas for Morrow Project uniforms...

The MP field uniforms. instead of coveralls I would suggest something along the lines of the WW2 British Battle Dress Uniform... They would work as both combat uniform and the semi-formal service uniform.

the field uniform would be a dark khaki waist-length resistweave jacket, a pair of dark khaki resistweave trousers, a pair of brown leather combat boots, light khaki gartiers (to provide protection to the lower legs from snakebites, a light tan shirt, a tan tie, a set of light tan underwear (a resistweave tee-shirt and boxer breif style compression shorts for males; a resistweave tee-shirt, sports bra, thong panties and compression shorts for females), a pair of tan or brown cushsion soled socks.

Informal dress would be a pair of business style khakis; a khaki shirt (long or short-sleeved), a pair of khaki shorts or trousers, a pair of tan socks, a pair of brown leather shoes or ankle boots.

the Morrow Project berets... I had an idea for the beret having color codes that go in acordance with the kind of team or speciality the wearer is part of.

Light Green
Dark Green
Brown
Light Blue
Dark Blue
Tan
White

Orange: Orange berets and uniforms are worn by personnel assiged to permenant bases as we saw in the Prime Base module.

Dark Grey: Special Purpose teams wear a dark grey beret... these are the Pheonx team wash-outs.. They would be used as regional special services where the pheonix team is a national resource that only answers to Bruce E. Morrow.

Light Grey: The Pheonix team personnel wear a light grey resistweave uniform, inculding the fact that their beret is light grey.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

I will be posting drawings of the uniforms here... but i do want some help with the Beret Color coding...

Beret Colors: Brown (Feild Teams), Tan (Recon & Mars Teams), Dark Blue (MP Maritime), Light Blue (MP Aviation), Orange (Bases/Facilities), Grey (Special Services & RAT teams), Light Grey (Pheonix team), White (Medical & Science teams), Dark Green (Agricultural teams), Light Green (construction & engineering teams),

MP Field Uniforms: a beret, a resistweave khaki belted waist-length field jacket, a light tan shirt, a light tan tie, a pair of resistweave khaki trousers, a light tan set of underwear (a compression tee-shirt, a pair of boxer brief-style compression shorts; for females a compression tee-shirt, a sports bra, a pair of thong panties, and compression shorts), a pair of tan cushion-soled socks, a pair of reinforced brown leather boots, a pair of resistweave snake-bite gartiers, a set of OD or coyote brown combat webbing and tactical vest.

MP Informal Uniform: a beret, a light weight tan M41 field jacket, a tan shirt (long-sleeve or short-sleeve), a brown web belt w/a gold or silver buckle, a pair of tan trousers or shorts, a pair of light tan socks, a pair of brown leather ankleboots or shoes.

MP Semi-Formal Uniform: a beret, a golden brown double-breasted jacket, a tan shirt, a dark tan tie, a pair of golden-brown trousers, a pair of tan socks, a pair of brown leather dress shoes, a brown leather Sam Brown belt w/holster.

Tactical Gear: a ballistic helmet w/a coyote brown cover, a Level III ballitic vest w/a coyote brown cover, a set of coyote brown knee & elbow pads, a pair of nomex coyote brown gloves.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

My uniforms are closer in tune with US military as my project is intermeshed with elements of the DoD. I do have signifigant advances in spider silk technology being rolled into the standard ACU. Though I expect I will have to come up with a custom dress uniform. I also did color coded berets but I expect you will have but more thought into it than I did to, so I just plan to lift yours .
Old 07-07-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
My uniforms are closer in tune with US military as my project is intermeshed with elements of the DoD. I do have signifigant advances in spider silk technology being rolled into the standard ACU. Though I expect I will have to come up with a custom dress uniform. I also did color coded berets but I expect you will have but more thought into it than I did to, so I just plan to lift yours .

I had went with uniforms that where just as rugged and utility enough to be on par with US military uniforms, i did a design that would give the project a professional appearence, be comfortable, and not scream "MILITARY" at the top of their lungs. the uniforms would give the appearence of authority, but still be 'unusual' enough that MP personnel would be able to perform all kinds of duties.

I just wish i still had the notes for the colors for the berets...

Scarlet Red (Mars teams)
Light Blue (Science teams)
Tan (Recon teams)
Khaki (RAT teams)
Dark Green ()
Light Green (Agricultural teams)
Maroon ()
Pink ()
Light Grey (Pheonix team)
Dark Grey ()
Black (Maintenance & Support)
Brown ()
White (Healthcare & Medical teams)
Dark Blue (Maritime services)
Powder Blue (Aviation services)
Orange (bases and facilities)
Old 07-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971
I had went with uniforms that where just as rugged and utility enough to be on par with US military uniforms, i did a design that would give the project a professional appearence, be comfortable, and not scream "MILITARY" at the top of their lungs. the uniforms would give the appearence of authority, but still be 'unusual' enough that MP personnel would be able to perform all kinds of duties.

I just wish i still had the notes for the colors for the berets...

Scarlet Red (Mars teams)
Light Blue (Science teams)
Tan (Recon teams)
Khaki (RAT teams)
Dark Green ()
Light Green (Agricultural teams)
Maroon ()
Pink ()
Light Grey (Pheonix team)
Dark Grey ()
Black (Maintenance & Support)
Brown ()
White (Healthcare & Medical teams)
Dark Blue (Maritime services)
Powder Blue (Aviation services)
Orange (bases and facilities)
Yeah I had a similar feeling about the military appearance until the logic of the ACU multi environment camouflage solved a few logistical issues I had. Also given I am using modified HMMWVs and M-16s if figured the "non-military" appearance was a lost cause.

Good work on the berets.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
Yeah I had a similar feeling about the military appearance until the logic of the ACU multi environment camouflage solved a few logistical issues I had. Also given I am using modified HMMWVs and M-16s if figured the "non-military" appearance was a lost cause.

Good work on the berets.
I can see that... I have some other ideas as well. i just can't make my brain work at the moment...

ive been trying to find someone who can help me with something, just not found them yet.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:18 PM
... Fistful of Polyhedral Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
any links on that synthetic spider silk?
Is the the goat milk based protein mod, or a straight-up hack on the chemistry?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:36 PM

Default Uniform canon, info please...

Resistweave Coveralls are a 'given' in all in print canon.
Check.
The stuff is tougher than chain-mail. [A.R.3]{one always assumed light rings, mild/carbon steel only, no high tech alloy, one overall temper}
Check.
Tougher than 'Nam era Nylon Flack Vest. {not so hard}
Check.

Has anything ever been said in canonical sources about how thick/bulky this stuff is. Given that no indicators in the basic Rule-set, OTHER than the fact that -nothing is noted- about bulk, and that Basic Kit includes a spare Coverall packed away... I've always portrayed this as being a little thinner than 500 grade cordura nylon and a good deal softer/quieter.
In other words, clothing weight, so one -could- have say, street wear tailored from it for an AP of say, 6 and it would be indistinguishable from say, cotton rip-stop. {Always wondered why the "clean contact kit" wasn't made of the stuff, esp. given MP -lethal- combat, and Company policy of "try not to die"}
Thoughts?
I realise this is a wee bit off thread, but it's close and I don't feel up to "first Post, new thread, lookit me!" standards.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Resistweave is a mystery to me. That is probably one of the reasons I kinda bailed on it. I do include something similar as a spall liner on vehicles to up armor lightly armored vehicles, as anything as resistant and flexible as described would only protect against penetration not against impact. That is why I go with existing bulk items, Fritz helmet and dragonskin vests, but with material technology advances (Spider silk).

My thoughts on spider silk is that Morrow researchers were able to synthesize the required proteins from genetically altered bacterium. Kinda goes into the Technological voodoo common in morrow equipment descriptions.

Don't be afraid of going off topic if any OT posts get traction I can split them off into new threads.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:06 PM

I can definitely get behind that Dragon skin (pun intended) Kato but I never liked the Fritz helmet.
I feel it restricts hearing and vision a little. There are a lot of other variants these days that are cut down versions of the original.
I prefer a simple pot like the WW2 English or German paratroop helmets for better hearing and visibility.
As we know, whatever is in the bolthole is what your going to be issued but a frozen operator can dream...
Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
Resistweave is a mystery to me. That is probably one of the reasons I kinda bailed on it. I do include something similar as a spall liner on vehicles to up armor lightly armored vehicles, as anything as resistant and flexible as described would only protect against penetration not against impact. That is why I go with existing bulk items, Fritz helmet and dragonskin vests, but with material technology advances (Spider silk).

My thoughts on spider silk is that Morrow researchers were able to synthesize the required proteins from genetically altered bacterium. Kinda goes into the Technological voodoo common in morrow equipment descriptions.

Don't be afraid of going off topic if any OT posts get traction I can split them off into new threads.
No 'voodoo' involved.
The 'goat' thing I mentioned is an actually thought to GenEng goat milk glands to produce spider silk proteins
was wondering if you'd seen anything else on it.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 PM

My God !! First the sheep, now the goats !! Is nothing sacred to these people. Just kidding, would you mind elaborating Shotgun
Old 07-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
No 'voodoo' involved.
The 'goat' thing I mentioned is an actually thought to GenEng goat milk glands to produce spider silk proteins
was wondering if you'd seen anything else on it.
Yeah I knew about the goat milk protein, but bacterium can produce the proteins in larger volumes more cheaply if they can ever get the engineering right.

I had actually never researched it, but I assumed someone was working on it. And I was right
http://www.physorg.com/news122822094.html
Old 07-27-2009, 10:41 AM

Very interesting article, Kato.
That type of science is what I would hope the "white mice" of the MP were working on back in the 80s. Do you have an idea of how old that particular type of research might be ?
That is to say, could this explain a lot of the "wet suit" style body armor that frequents the gear lists of RPG rule books ?
Here's one thing that I will never understand: armor that is skin tight may stop a bullet from penetrating but without additional external armor of a kinetic energy dispersing type the trauma would still kill or injure the wearer.
I think that is an outright denial of the bulk of any armor.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
God-Emperor of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971 View Post
I have come up with ideas for Morrow Project uniforms...
Newbie here....thought I'd add a few thoughts to the uniform thread...

First, the headgear;

Having worn one for 22 years, I am definitely in favour of berets...especially for everyday wear (if you want an idea how goofy boonie hats look day-to-day; check out Dr Jackson on SG-1). Boonies have their place (as do ball caps, and of course helmets), but the berets is a tidy, compact, and professional-looking piece of headdress. My Project definitely wears berets.

Still on berets, I originally went with a light blue/powder blue (think of a UN Peacekeeper), as I wanted to stay away from being an imitation 'Green Bean'.
Lately, I have transitioned my MP teams from blue to grey, as it better fits the rest of the MP uniform that my teams wear.

The standard issue beret is a solid grey, black band, with a simple cloth, subdued 'MP' logo badge on the beret.

Second, Shirt/Pants/Coveralls;

My teams are still issued Resistweave coveralls, but they are also issued solid 'urban grey' BDUs for non-combat situations. Because I am that kind of PD, more than once my PCs have been through a firefight or six in their BDUs because they've been 'out of position' for changing prior to the action. The solid grey colour extends to shorts, T-shirts, boxers, briefs, etc.

Third, Boots & Tactical Gear;

My combat boots are any generic military spec boot, w/armoured toe and sole. Tactical webbing, assault vests, hoslters, etc are all flat black (I use the Blackhawk tactical gear). In the final analysis, if you have seen the outfits worn in the TV series 'Flashpoint', it is a good representation what my MP Teams look like.

Lastly, Insignia and Badges;

Like most PDs, I use velcro Name tapes, on right breast of shirts/jackets, and velcro MP patches on sleeves (Project patch on the upper right, branch patch on the upper left) shoulder. I also put a team patch on the left breast of shirts/jackets.

Just a few thoughts from the gallery....

Cheers!

Traveller