RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 12-02-2020, 11:50 PM
Spartan-117

Default IMTU - a call for perspective

I didn't play Traveller until I was 30+ years old. I've been RPGing since 13 or so, and we had Red/Blue/Green/Black box D&D, Morrow Project, AD&D, and Twilight 2000 v1.0 back then, along with Star Frontiers. With Star Frontiers, my group didn't need Traveller, so we kind of skipped it.

<if you are wondering WTF - hang on, I'm going somewhere with this. Stay in the buggy please.>

So I missed Traveller. Right up until T20 came out. The d20 version of Traveller. Saw it in a store, loved the art, and thought, "Hey, Traveller... let me see what I missed back then."

After a deep delve into the book, I had questions... lots of questions. So I Googled Traveller T20 and found travellerrpg.com. And there I discovered that plenty of people were still playing Classic Traveller and more than a few were playing Mega Traveller. I also discovered the concept of IMTU - In My Traveller Universe.

IMTU is about picking the rules set that works for you, the campaign elements that work for you and using those. Maybe another version of Traveller isn't for you, so you just don't play or deal with that version.

What you don't see over at travellerrpg.com are posts like "Traveller XXX is hot garbage designed by Whig loving Syncretic City-Staters intent on pushing a political agenda through their write up of the Imperial Intersteller Scout Service! IISS Scouts would never ride dinos after landing in a spaceship with a G-Raft!! This atrocity is not the Traveller I know!"

So if it would help, I'd like to introduce* the concept of In My Twilight Universe.

IMTU we play modified 2.2, with a 1.0 background. I'm looking at 4e for my IMTU.

In Your Twilight Universe, you can do anything you want. Just don't hate on people who play something else or dump on T2K product lines. There are a lot of ways to do Traveller and we are getting a lot of ways to do Twilight 2K - it's time to act like we've been there before (we have with 2013) and meet this version with some composure, dignity, and grace. If it's not your cup of tea, then fine. But what is there to gain from just crapping all over it?

You see, people are going to pickup FL Twilight 4th ed. It's going to be in a store, or it's going to be something they excitedly backed on Kickstarter, or a gift from a friend/family member. And if they go poking around the Internet to find out more about T2K, they may come across Juhlin. What would they see now if they landed here? Will anyone stay to find out that 1.0 and 2.2 are actually still used, loved, and supported? Or will the nature of the discourse that they see about FL/4e cause them to move on?

This is the Internet - unless you delete something, it's going to be around for a long time. We will all be better served if FL/4e has a place here, devoid of the kind of vitriol that we've seen recently.

Many of you seek to showcase your contributions to the game and your talents as writers. I'd encourage you not to derail your own efforts in that regard. When the new players come... and they will... if they can't get past your rhetoric about FL/4e, they may not discover your substantive contribution to an earlier version of T2K. That would be a shame.

Please, love your IMTU and remember that you can politely ignore anything else.

*back in 2009, simonmark6 actually brought up the idea of IMTU, so this is really a re-introduction...

Last edited by Spartan-117; 12-03-2020 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:16 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan-117 View Post

IMTU is about picking the rules set that works for you, the campaign elements that work for you and using those. Maybe another version of Traveller isn't for you, so you just don't play or deal with that version.

So if it would help, I'd like to introduce* the concept of In My Twilight Universe.

IMTU we play modified 2.2, with a 1.0 background. I'm looking at 4e for my IMTU.

<SNIP>

This is the Internet - unless you delete something, it's going to be around for a long time. We will all be better served if FL/4e has a place here, devoid of the kind of vitriol that we've seen recently.

Many of you seek to showcase your contributions to the game and your talents as writers. I'd encourage you not to derail your own efforts in that regard. When the new players come... and they will... if they can't get past your rhetoric about FL/4e, they may not discover your substantive contribution to an earlier version of T2K. That would be a shame.

Please, love your IMTU and remember that you can politely ignore anything else.

*back in 2009, simonmark6 actually brought up the idea of IMTU, so this is really a re-introduction...
What HE said.

Ditto, even.

And remember the special parallel relationships that opinions and particular bodily organs share, and do try to keep your personal stench to yourself by opining in a relatively courteous and constructive manner.
This has been a public service announcement.