RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 02-28-2019, 10:06 AM

Default US City States

For those who do not follow the Morrow Project group in Facebook, there was a link to an article that, at least for me, may serve as a guide for developing campaign ideas. It was an article from the site Medium where a city planner made the case that city-states are more rational than our current state boundaries in US and then went about creating a map of 100 US city-states based on geography, economic influences and so on. The original article is here, but does contain trackers. You have been warned:

https://medium.com/s/story/the-unite...d-8372be222d28

The map he generates is interesting and I thought may indicate regions more likely to work together after the war, since they are economically linked and already trading together. If you just want the map and not the underlying rationale, here is the sanitized link to Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...en_US&hl=en_US
Old 02-28-2019, 12:55 PM

Interesting. Thank you

The "overlap" between the Kentucky Free State and 4 or or 5 of the city-states could inspire some ideas
Old 02-28-2019, 01:16 PM

I think the area surrounding each city-state should be limited to about 40 miles in radius or two days walk, depending on terrain. Closer for forested / hilly / desert terrain with the intervening area less civilized, more prone to banditry.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT0001 View Post
I think the area surrounding each city-state should be limited to about 40 miles in radius or two days walk, depending on terrain. Closer for forested / hilly / desert terrain with the intervening area less civilized, more prone to banditry.
In the post war map, I agree. But the ones in the linked in the article give a good starting place for geopolitical and economic influence pre-war and where people may gather in the chaos after the horns fall silent.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:03 PM

Interesting and great Info, Thanks