RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Type View Post
In Call of Pripyat, the game bugged after the mission with the Bloodsucker nest. One of them survived, and hunted me across the map. The way my mind made it seem, I was terrified. I killed its family, and it wanted revenge. Served ice cold. It slaughtered three different STALKER camps as if followed me, and it was 'all my fault'. Never has a game done that to me!
Man, that is AWESOME!
I haven't had that happen to me but there's been some strange things happen at times such as when I was playing Shadow of Chernobyl with the Oblivion Lost mod - every single time I went to the Freedom camp, the camp would get attacked by a Controller and I had to kill the damned thing just to keep the Freedomers alive.

I introduced one of the guys I work with to Call of Pripyat. In his first few hours on the first map, he wandered around, got to the bridge near the Ranger's Station and then he stopped. Completely stopped.
He spent hours with his character stuck on a rock because it was night and he couldn't see anything at all. He got surrounded by Blind Dogs and he was too afraid to get down from the rock.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 PM

i got so sick of being stalked by bloodsuckers by the second playthrough that for the third i decided to stock up on grenades before going on that mission. put enough ordinance into that building to put the NPP into orbit and dumped a mag from an AK into each corpse just to be sure.
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I introduced one of the guys I work with to Call of Pripyat. In his first few hours on the first map, he wandered around, got to the bridge near the Ranger's Station and then he stopped. Completely stopped.
He spent hours with his character stuck on a rock because it was night and he couldn't see anything at all. He got surrounded by Blind Dogs and he was too afraid to get down from the rock.
I've had STALKER sessions like that. That series of games really nailed the post-apoc atmosphere.

Community-created modding is a wonderful thing. I went back to the STALKER games years later when I realised how much modded content had been created. I've just started playing Skyrim again because of all the new modded adventures and new lands that have been created. I have a premium membership with the Nexus sites. Awesome.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Oh yeah, have definitely had those moments in the game. The atmosphere is scarily good. I also loved how the AI interacted. I've been saved a couples times by sprinting my ammo-less ass to the 'ol Shevchenko tanker and having my Stalker buddies spray whatever comes behind me!

Heck, even the now genre cliche Zombies managed to make my skin crawl, shambling after me with their AKs, telling me they wanted to go home...yeesh.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Figured I would bump this due to the new TV show.

I am 6 episodes in and there are some great post apoc ideas and visuals.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:55 PM

Also since it a fungal spore, Gas masks work.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:21 PM

That third episode was some downright excellent storytelling. The show itself is pretty damned good compared to most other post-apocalypse tv that's out there. I don't know how near peer shows like Walking Dead are going to compete.

As for mechanics, there's enough zombie supplements for T2k out there - I think a Last of Us port would be pretty straight forward to execute.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
Also since it a fungal spore, Gas masks work.
I read somewhere that they had to change the way the infection spreads in the HBO show because it wouldn't work to have actors' faces obscured and voices muffled by gas masks most of the time.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 04-02-2023, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I read somewhere that they had to change the way the infection spreads in the HBO show because it wouldn't work to have actors' faces obscured and voices muffled by gas masks most of the time.

-
Gas masks blow to try to talk or do any activity in.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
-
One of the after-episode talks also mentions how the spores don't really make sense in real life as described in the game. As in, if the spores are airborne and can cause infection via inhalation, they wouldn't exactly stay put in particular locations - everyone would already be infected. Between that and the clear conflict of interest with actors having to cover their faces, the change seems reasonable.
Old 05-20-2023, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Default Krakow Vibes

I caved and subscribed to HBO Max. I've only watched the first episode of The Last of Us, but the Boston of its 2023 is reminiscent of T2k's Krakow. A military junta of some sort rules the city. Refugees work crap jobs for ration chits. Contact with the outside world is limited. Smugglers use hit songs to broadcast coded messages in the clear over FM radio. I'm liking what I've seen so far.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048