RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 01-09-2023, 02:08 PM
The Stat Guy

Default Statting a Hybrid Vehicle

My old minivan (a 2005 Kia Sedona) recently suffered a complete electrical failure and was totaled. I replaced it with a lightly-used 2017 Kia Niro EX hybrid.

The gas and electric motors are, in of themselves, not impressive, being 146 and 103 horsepower. However, put together, they are impressive. Mostly, the car uses the electric motor, with the gas being on a low rev. When power is necessary, the gas kicks in on high -- acceleration is enough that I keep finding myself inadvertently speeding.

Perhaps most impressive is the gas mileage -- over 50 MPG in the city.

(For those trying to stat, weight is 1.49 tons metric.)

Total performance figures is simple -- add the gas and electric together. I'm less sure about Consumption figures or how to stat what is essentially variable horsepower.

Some vehicles, like a version of the JLTV that is being tested, have hybrid engines. And I am unsure how to proceed. Ideas?

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 01-13-2023, 10:43 AM

Ah, "gas" = petrol ! ?

“The British and the Americans are two great peoples divided by a common tongue". - George Bernard Shaw.

Last edited by Brit; 01-13-2023 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Hopefully an attempt at The Joke Funny...
Old 01-13-2023, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
Ah, "gas" = petrol ! ?

“The British and the Americans are two great peoples divided by a common tongue". - George Bernard Shaw.
"Gasoline" like the other term Americans get in trouble for "soccer", both originated in Britain.

Etymology. "Gasoline" (often shortened to "gas") is an American word that denotes fuel for automobiles. The term is thought to have been influenced by the trademark "Cazeline" or "Gazeline", named after the surname of British publisher, coffee merchant, and social campaigner John Cassell.

Apparently someone made counterfeit trademarked Cazeline, and in order to stay within the law, added a slash with a pen to the "C" making it a "G".
Old 01-15-2023, 06:18 AM

So it should be 'Cas' or 'Gaz'?

Thank you, I did not know the origin of "Gas" / "Gasoline". I did "Soccer". I believe it comes from "Association", i.e. "Association Football".

https://www.britannica.com/story/why...ootball-soccer

I also believe the period of the year called "Fall" is the The USA is still using the original term, while in Britain we use "Autumn".

I should have searched for it:

" 'Petrol' is a shortened term for 'Petroleum Distillate' which is what it is. Gas is a shortened version of 'Gasoline' was a trade name for Petroleum Distillate used in the US. Diesel is the fuel used in Diesel engines which were invented by Rudolf Diesel so unsurprisingly it is called diesel in Germany!"

Further... Fairly confident that The U.S. pronounce 'Lieutenant' in the original (French) way. Unlike the English 'Left-tenant'.

Sorry, rambling...

Let us not get started on the 'real ale', 'beer', ''bier', 'lager', 'craft ale', 'craft beer', etc, etc, debate... or not.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

My late girlfriend was a professional international translator (English-> Korean) and was obsessed with getting near perfect translations. This led me (as her sounding board) becoming familiar with the vagaries of all forms of English. My favorite huge oddity is the common use of "cum" in Indian English to mean "along with being".

Normally I would embed an image but as this is super off topic and has a non zero chance of offense I will place a link.
https://i.redd.it/clhntgqtamux.jpg

Apparently it is some type of street cleaner with both a vacuum and jettison device.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:24 AM

Also, the batteries in electric vehicles can be repurposed.