RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 07-17-2015, 02:32 PM

Default USA or other Special Ops

Ok, in the 2000 time line;
What would say three A-teams and a B-team, be doing in Germany?
Who has control of Mission assignment?
Who would be responsible for them, gear, vehicles, etc?
Now I need this info for my Grand Son who will just not understand that Grandpa was Airborne Ranger, NOT Special forces.
But then how do you say no to a thirteen year old that has your name?
He is not going to get all those folks but it will help me assign some for his use and maybe make a little sense.
Tis better to see them afor they see you.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT. Ox View Post
Ok, in the 2000 time line;
Now I need this info for my Grand Son who will just not understand that Grandpa was Airborne Ranger, NOT Special forces.
But then how do you say no to a thirteen year old that has your name?
He is not going to get all those folks but it will help me assign some for his use and maybe make a little sense.
Although I am by no means an expert on this subject compared to almost everyone on the board, I do have a bit of knowledge on this subject. Point by point:

Quote:
They would be either doing a secret mission of sorts (preparing partisans in case of a WP breakthrough or raiding the enemy for food sources perhaps?), escaping towards Bremerhaven to get to the ships there if the player group is doing the "Going Home" module, providing security for an high ranking officer, official or dignitary going to Bremerhaven, they could of used their training and skills to somehow have set up their own miniature empire within Germany or a hundred other reasons

Quote:
Those that remain would be (at best) Corps level assets (at worst, Army level or Theatre level) due to their experience and training, never mind their near irreplaceablity

Quote:
Since they are Corps level (at best) assets, the person responsible would be G4 or F4, which is the logistics officer the Corps (depending if it is a forward headquarters, thus F4 or the main HQ, in which case it would be a G4.).

Any other questions? I hope this helped. If I got this wrong, can the other board members who have more knowledge of this then me correct me on my mistakes?
Old 07-24-2015, 08:09 PM

Whenever you saw someone "looking official" in Kakis with a polo shirt on; They were either SOCOM or some branch of government identified only by initials. Since they were either above EVERYONE in the field in Authority or completely outside all Military Authority; Being approached by one was a "bad day waiting to happen" for your average grunt.

Last edited by swaghauler; 07-26-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:21 PM
Registered Registrant

In addition to what Swaghauler mentioned...
During the 1990s there was one moderately accurate way to identify some US SOCOM guys... chewing tobacco.
Chewing tobacco never had the same popularity in other parts of the world and when they were in civvies, I was able to spot the US guys amongst Aussie, British and New Zealand special forces types with about 75% accuracy based on who smoked cigarettes and who used chewing tobacco.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:47 AM

Default A new method of ID

Chewing tobacco or as we all say here tabacco?
Thanks to all and esp. FPSlover good concise answers and therefore a lot of help.
Hey swaghauler, 'what you mean Average Grunt?" we are all special grunts!
that is what they told me when they needed help.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Chewing tobacco or as we all say here tabacco?
Thanks to all and esp. FPSlover good concise answers and therefore a lot of help.
Hey swaghauler, 'what you mean Average Grunt?" we are all special grunts!
that is what they told me when they needed help.
Your "average grunt" is one who isn't allowed to say "no" when someone in kakis walks up to you and says..."[insert rank here] I need you to do...."

Last edited by swaghauler; 07-26-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Registered Registrant

I think the LT was being humorous
So the conversation between the "civilian" and the soldier would be something like "[insert rank here], I have a "special" job for you, I need you to do...."
or "[insert rank here], you and your team have been "specially" selected for this mission, I need you to do...."
Old 07-25-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I think the LT was being humorous
So the conversation between the "civilian" and the soldier would be something like "[insert rank here], I have a "special" job for you, I need you to do...."
or "[insert rank here], you and your team have been "specially" selected for this mission, I need you to do...."
I was too. You forgot one small detail in your post. If the individual is SF, then the theme from "Mission Impossible" would start playing as he began to talk. If that individual wasn't SF, the theme from "The A-Team" would be playing in the background as he walked up....
Old 07-25-2015, 09:36 PM

Default I know you can do LT 'cause ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
I was too. You forgot one small detail in your post. If the individual is SF, then the theme from "Mission Impossible" would start playing as he began to talk. If that individual wasn't SF, the theme from "The A-Team" would be playing in the background as he walked up....
ROFLMAO
Old 07-26-2015, 01:31 PM
The Stat Guy

What is a kaikai?

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 07-26-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
What is a kaikai?
A good question. Part of an auto-correct spell checker that my best friend's son loaded with my new anti-virus. I didn't notice it at first...but then, color became colour, sawed-off, became sawn off, and ketchup became catsup. I disabled it at that point. Asia based program. Engrish maybe? It's still not as bad the Google Russian translator program.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Registered Registrant

Sorry Swag, I didn't pick up on your post being tongue-in-cheek, that's the problem with pure text, you can't really represent the subtleties of spoken language

As for kaikais...
I thought that kaikais was just a variant spelling of the Kai-Kai shoe/clothing brand. However I see that Swaghauler has updated his post so that the original word was meant to be khakis.

Still, that's not as bad as some auto-correct actions I've seen on friend's phones
Here in Australia the phrase "for a sec" or "in a sec" is quite common, sec being lazy speak for the time unit of a second.
But... I've seen friend's text messages where "sec" has been auto-corrected to "sex" and that made for some interesting messages, like this one, "I'm coming back in, just give me a sex"!
Old 07-21-2022, 01:17 AM

Sounds like the Strike Zulu force. B Team and 3 A teams. Had about 38ish men, which fits with the on-going war losses. Commander was a Major.

So Reset was at least Corp level, if not Army. Probably a lot higher. DIA . The whole attack might of been cover for Reset.

Considering the pre-google time, FCoK is a well written module that still is interesting after 35+ years.