RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Banned

Default East African/Kenya Sourcebook

Well it took a lot longer than I thought but its finally ready. Here is my East Africa/Kenya Sourcebook for my interpretation of the area, based on Frank Frey's notes on his unfinished Lions in Twilight module as well as things posted over the years by Raellus, Matt, Shrike6 and others.

Raellus - While my interpretation of the events of the Twilight War differs from yours, I see it as an alternate viewpoint, with both versions being equally valid as ideas for players and GM's to use in their campaigns, similar to how Kidnapped and Howling Wildnerness have been differently interpreted and used over the years by various people.

I look forward to your comments and questions.

Last edited by Olefin; 03-31-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 AM

No questions, just a hearty well-done.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:45 PM

Concur: Bravo Zulu! (USN for "well done.")

Old USMC Adage
Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wiser View Post
Concur: Bravo Zulu! (USN for "well done.")
Thank you very much Matt! Your work that you did on the naval forces for Kenya in some of the other threads here was very helpful to me - couldnt have done it without that!
Old 11-15-2013, 02:42 PM

Fantastic read! Thanks for the work and thanks even more for sharing it
Old 11-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
Fantastic read! Thanks for the work and thanks even more for sharing it
You are very welcome! Glad you liked it so much - wanted to make something that people would enjoy and hopefully one day use in their campaigns. Working on other stuff as well but not as involved as a whole region of Africa.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Banned

Made a couple of small improvements to the sourcebook - i.e. added the Twilight 2000 logo to the front page and corrected a couple of small format errors

This should be the final version of it

Last edited by Olefin; 03-31-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Banned

beginning work on a couple of campaign ideas to go with the sourcebook - possibly even a few involving French units in places like Somalia and Central African Republic - always thought that the French, with the exception of the RDF, were never given enough attention by the original Twilight 2000 authors
Old 02-04-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
beginning work on a couple of campaign ideas to go with the sourcebook - possibly even a few involving French units in places like Somalia and Central African Republic - always thought that the French, with the exception of the RDF, were never given enough attention by the original Twilight 2000 authors
Agreed re the French...it has long been a goal of mine to put together some material on France to complement my Alternative Survivor's Guide to the UK, but at the moment a shortage of time means I haven't got beyond a single page of notes (and I really should complete the ASGUK first before undertaking another big project...)

You may be aware of this already but in the event you haven't seen it, the V2 NATO Vehicle Guide has an order of battle for French forces Worldwide. Whilst it doesn't appear to be complete it does identify some units based in both east and west Africa.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Banned

Actually used that resource along with the RDF as part of my French forces for the African sourcebook - but it is incomplete to say the least. And while there is a mention of French units in Africa and large scale French influence there (the RDF mentions at least two ops against Soviet guerrillas for instance in Africa) the forces allocated really dont seem big enough.

Love your work on the Alternate Survivors Guide by the way - always love seeing new information there

have you considered doing more work on the situation in Ireland as well?
Old 02-05-2014, 08:40 AM

Thanks Olefin, appreciate that.

I would like to expand on the situation on the island of Ireland at some point in time, although in all likelihood it would form a completely separate volume as there’s no real connection between events on the mainland and what’s happening in Ireland but at the moment the only semi concrete thing I have is an order of battle for British and Irish forces (which isn’t on my website at the moment) and some scribbled notes here and there…I envisage the situation in Northern Ireland and the Border Counties of the Republic to be akin to that of the Balkans in first half of the 1990’s, with various factions engaged in some particularly vicious ethnic and sectarian violence but I haven't given a lot of thought to what might be happening in the southern half of the Republic. However I’m acutely aware that there are still some parts of the UK volume that need to be completed (at a minimum three of the regional guides, although I also think that some of the marauder groups could benefit from some tweaking – nothing major, but as I alluded to in another thread, I think the work sometimes suffers from a lack of diversity, so I think I can improve on at least three of the marauder groups) and ideally I would like to complete that before I start anything else. My biggest challenge is finding the time…
Old 04-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Banned

going to start working soon on a look at Liberia in the Twilight War and also working on an expansion for the Central African Republic as well to detail how the French and their allies and the Lord's Resistance Army who have now taken over Uganda come into conflict
Old 04-01-2015, 01:01 PM

Love the work
Old 04-01-2015, 01:08 PM
Banned

thank you Draq - very nice to see comments like yours
Old 04-02-2015, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the work sir. Since RESTORE HOPE was my "war," this hits close to home for me.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:57 PM

I wanted this thread to be my first comment. As this was my old stomping grounds I have to say that you did an absolute first rate job! About a year ago I came across this sourcebook and loved it so much I sent a copy to my friend and old S3, a fellow RPG nerd who'd never played T2K. We agreed that it made us both feel like we were back in Mother Africa. Well done!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor View Post
I wanted this thread to be my first comment. As this was my old stomping grounds I have to say that you did an absolute first rate job! About a year ago I came across this sourcebook and loved it so much I sent a copy to my friend and old S3, a fellow RPG nerd who'd never played T2K. We agreed that it made us both feel like we were back in Mother Africa. Well done!
Quote:
Thanks for the work sir. Since RESTORE HOPE was my "war," this hits close to home for me.
Thank you very much for both of your comments. Love seeing that my work is enjoyed and especially that it resonated with two people who were really there on the ground. Really wanted to bring Africa to life as a place for T2K and your comments make all the hard work and research I did well worth it.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:33 AM
Banned

Loved hearing all the references to Kenya on Frank Frey's pod cast that happened this week. Was very fun to listen to his thoughts on the area.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:23 PM

My internet at work was working slow today so I would go back and forth between actual work via email and reading your module that I had saved on my hard drive. It really made me miss my time in Mother Africa, even though yours is an alternate history. Again, you really captured the nuances of a special place and transformed it into our beloved T2K universe. I raise a bottle of Tusker and sambusa with pele pele to you!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:03 PM

Also, if you have any questions about the LRA vice the UPDF and Ugandan's generally please don't hesitate to contact me. I've had some experience with all of them.

Tags
africa, kenya, sourcebook