RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 01-24-2017, 04:53 AM

Default MP 4th edition what effect does having a chance of success 100%+

In MP 4th edition what effect does having a chance of success 100%+. The rules seem to imply that the only effect is the PD can declare an automatic success and if this the case then the DoS is 10 + 1 per 10% above 100% (or fraction). Morrow Project pg 50.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:26 AM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltShumate View Post
In MP 4th edition what effect does having a chance of success 100%+. The rules seem to imply that the only effect is the PD can declare an automatic success and if this the case then the DoS is 10 + 1 per 10% above 100% (or fraction). Morrow Project pg 50.
If it is like any other system having a greater than certain chance offsets the negative modifiers.

Say you have Drive MPV (100%), your PC is a driving phenom raised on go carts and dirt track racing before professionally driving commercial vehicles.

So in any given day he doesn't have any trouble driving city streets or highways.

Still it is uncommon for a task to not have any negative modifiers. So driving a truck meant for paved roads off off road has penalties. soil conditions, weather, vehicles mechanical state, undergrowth, etc.

A PC with a greater than 100% chance has more skill to overcome negative modifiers. Should be a long time before a PC gets even close and I don't think the rules allow for such exceptional skills early or at generation.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Internet Intellectual

I feel like I wrote the Captain Obvious post.

To address that. As PD I would cap the PC skills at 80%... Which I think is the accepted level for a Phd in game.

Only exceptional Non Player Characters exceed that. They are part of the Plot and must be found, protected, or convinced to help.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
If it is like any other system having a greater than certain chance offsets the negative modifiers.
In most other systems it was also increase your chance of a critical. I am not trying to make negative comments I am working on the die rolling n a Roll20 character sheet and I am trying to cover all the bases.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:10 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
In most other systems it was also increase your chance of a critical. I am not trying to make negative comments I am working on the die rolling n a Roll20 character sheet and I am trying to cover all the bases.
True. That reflects what is higher than what is considered reasonably possible. Skills like that reflect the hyper specialization of one job type.

Having 100% is obtainable with time, education, and practice.

Having 120% or 150% is the kind of dedication that limits a persons activities to train other skills.

Having a 150% is Olympic or F class rifle shooter and doesn't translate at all into being a scout sniper for the Marine Corps.

I think 4th makes that distinction by making buying skills a one for one exchange for 1 - 40%, then 3 for 1 from 41% to 60%, and 5 for 1 for 61% on up. Meaning the skill points paid to buy skill percentages.

Still better to cap the skill at a level for PCs and allow exception for plot specific NPCs, in my opinion.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:47 PM

You are mixing skill level up with chance of success. With aiming the chance of success could be double your skill not to mention mods for point blank and auto fire.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:42 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
You are mixing skill level up with chance of success. With aiming the chance of success could be double your skill not to mention mods for point blank and auto fire.

Ok.... I call those modifiers. Aiming a +10% modifier, Fog a -10% modifier.

I misunderstood your post from the beginning. I thought you were talking about base skill of 100% from the start.

In that case.... max out the positive modifiers at 100% and don't let it go higher. Max out the negative modifiers at 0% and don't let it go lower.

That is absolute success and absolute failure.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:06 AM

I think I will leave it to the individual PD and display a note refering to page 50